HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Knee & Hip Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/)
-   -   gluteus medius tears (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/824586-gluteus-medius-tears.html)

Lynne720 01-25-2011 02:23 PM

Re: gluteus medius tears

Hi Weegie,
I don't have anyone who can give me a break at all. We both have a very small family and limited friends in the area (don't even ask about the neighbors! LOL). I try and take care of myself when the time allows. I work fulltime Monday-Friday. I have a 1 hour commute each way so I don't get home till around 7pm and that doesn't leave much time for me after I prepare something for dinner and then try and help him with whatever he needs. If only I had friends and family who could even drop off a meal or spend some time with him during the day to keep him occupied and distract him and make the time go faster it would be a blessing but thats not the case..unfortunately.

He is definitely less mobile than you because of the pain. And now it will probably get worse since he is having a hard time sitting since it hurts his backside..its sore on the back part because of the surgery. He gives up too quickly and now thinks that this will be the end result when its only been 2 weeks now. I'm sure if he did not have other health issues he would heal faster and hurt less but he is not like everyone else.

And yes, he is still on the same pain meds as before the surgery. He has not tried to decrease anything yet though he wishes he could. And yes, he is on Paxil but its not doing much. As I mentioned in my previous post, he needs help in that department and that has been an issue for a while. Its all from the pain. Its a vicious cycle.

Right now I have a call into his pm doctor and the surgeon again. The surgeon said he could come in tomorrow to examine him since the rest of the week the surgeon is in the OR but we have a winter storm warning for tomorrow into Thursday so I don't think that is an option. And the surgeon doesn't want him going to the ER (thank goodness cause its a nightmare at that hospital). So right now I am waiting for both doctors to get back to me with what I wish is a hopeful solution to his pain.

Thanks again and hope you are doing better!
Lynne

weegie1 01-27-2011 05:26 PM

Hi Lynne,

I have had you both on my mind, frequently, since I read your reply. I am so sorry for your situation, and wish there was something Carl and I could do to assist you, unfortunately, we are so far away, that is not possible.
I, also, am having some issues, at times, with discomfort from sitting so much. I am going to get a piece of memory foam cushion and cut it to fit the lounge chair where I sit much of the day. I don't know if that will help, but it is worth a try. NSAIDs have always helped me more than any narcotic based meds I have taken for pain. Of course, it is important to take them with food and watch for any signs of stomach irritation. My guess would be that you have tried just about everything by now, so don't mind my feeble attempts to give you suggestions. I guess wanting to "fix" situations for others, comes from years of nursing, so please forgive me.
With your snowstorm yesterday, I am sure you were unable to make it to the MD. I hope you will be able to get there soon, and get some help.
I am doing fine and go back to the doc on 2/4. I am hoping that he will allow me to increase weight bearing, and move on with the process of recovery. It is frustrating to know that it will be a few months before I will even know if the surgery was successful, patience is not one of my virtues!

Take care and let me know how it is going,
Weegie

Lynne720 02-05-2011 12:00 PM

Hi Weegie,

I hope you are feeling better. How did you appointment go yesterday? Hopefully you are healing well and got some good news.

We are going to the surgeon on Monday. My boyfriend spoke with him again and said to come in as soon as possible. He didn't like what he heard about the swelling and the pain. I'm just praying that everything is normal and that its just taking a little longer to recover though my boyfriend won't accept that.

As far as pain meds go, he has tried just about all there is out there and nothing really works well anymore since he built up a tolerance. His pain receptors need to be reset! NSAIDS are very hurtful to his stomach so that has been out of the question for a long time.

Thanks so much for being here. I don't know anyone else that is going thru this so it helps alot even if its just staying in touch on this board.

Again, please let me know how you are doing and how your appt went.

Lynne

weegie1 02-06-2011 08:51 AM

Hi Lynne,

I am glad to hear that your boyfriend is going to the surgeon on Mon.. I would think, by now, he would not still be having so much pain and swelling, so it is best to get it checked out. Please let me know what is going on, as I am very interested in hearing.

My doctor appointment on Fri.. went very well. He was pleased with my progress and I have graduated from using a walker with only toe touching, to full weight bearing with the use of a cane or one crutch for support. It is so much easier to get around and I am able to manage stairs and get outside by myself. He also said I could start driving, so I drove home, which takes about one hour, and it really felt good.

I hope things will start to get easier for the two of you. I know you are really anxious to move on, and put all of this behind you.

Take care and stay in touch,
Weegie

Lynne720 02-07-2011 01:11 PM

Hi Weegie,

Glad you are doing well. Hopefully you won't the cane or a crutch very soon.

My boyfriend's apppointment also went well. The doctor expected him to look bad (based on his complaints) but he he said he looked good. He said the amount of swelling is expected since he is on a blood thinner (Arixtra) and so that will take more time to settle down. He is now allowed to put full weight on the leg. The doctor ordered PT -3 times a week for 12 weeks and he must do it or he will never gain the full use of the muscle. His next follow up is in 8 weeks. Hopefully by then he will be much better. My boyfriend just didn't expect the pain and swelling to be this bad for so long but the doctor expected it and still seems confident that he will be okay. His xrays looked good as well. I keep telling him to have faith. The pain just causes him to be impatient.

Ps..the PT will get him out of the house which will be very good for him.

Lynne

Lynne720 02-07-2011 01:36 PM

I forgot to mention that the doctor still does not want him to drive for at least another month.

Lynne

weegie1 02-10-2011 03:57 AM

Hi Lynne,
So glad to hear about your boyfriend's doctor app't. I'm sure you were both happy to hear things are going well and that the doctor thinks a good recovery is possible. Hopefully, getting out of the house and going to PT will have a positive effect on his mental as well as his physical condition. I hope he will be able to do the exercises to increase his muscle strength and that the pain he is having won't be a deterant.
I will be using a cane or crutch for a total of 6 weeks and then I can start PT. My doc wants me to always use some kind of walking aid as long as I still have a limp, I hope that with exercise, it won't take too long to strengthen the muscles. He said we probably won't know if this surgery was a success for several months. I think, because I am his first patient with this condition, he is being very conservative with my post op program. As long as I am mobile and can now drive, I don't mind this approach, it is so much better than using a walker and only toe touching!
Take care and let me know how the PT is going.
Weegie

weegie1 02-11-2011 11:48 AM

Hi everyone,
Linda, I just saw your post about your boyfriends not being allowed to drive. I am not having any difficulty with driving at all. I physically could have driven sooner, my problem was how to get the walker into the back seat and then get myself into the front seat, without putting weight on my leg. It is not a problem now that I only have to use a cane or one crutch. Did the doctor say why he wanted him to wait another month? I hope his PT is going well and that he is on an upward swing emotionally also.
take care,
Weegie

weegie1 02-12-2011 02:45 PM

Hi everyone,
Just a little FYI that I think is worth repeating. My doctor thought that the cortisone injections I had over the last 10 years for "bursitis" could have strongly contributed to weakening the tendon to the point of tearing. He said we are caught between a rock and a hard place because the shots temporarily help, but in the long run, can cause damage even when given infrequently. They have an accumulative effect so the time in between shots, really doesn't lessen that damage.
It has been 71/2 weeks since surgery and I have very little pain, none with walking and some aching when I am lying on that side. We went to our favorite blues club last night and was able to dance while using one crutch. It really felt good to not just sit and listen and I have no ill effects from that activity. We live in central Va. near the blue ridge mountains in a city of about 50,000 and this in one of the few places with live music.
I go back to the doctor on March 14th and hope to begin PT after that. It seems like a long time to wait, but I don't want to rush it either.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend. It is supposed to be in the 60's here tomorrow, much better than the 40's! Hope you have warmer weather in NYC too, Lynne.
Weegie

salmon gal 10-30-2011 06:49 PM

There is surgery for a gluteus medius tear, especially a partial tear. I have been diagnosed but it took 3 doctors and my physical therapist to convince the surgeons that this is what I have. I have a resurfaced hip and this makes reading an MRI problematic. I am searching for a surgeon who can help me and there aren't many. You can try Dr. Brian Kelly at HSS as he is supposedly an expert. I am from Alaska and contacted him and for whatever reason, he said he wouldnt take me and I needed an orthopedic surgeon for my knee - ridiculous because, while my knee is beginning to show signs of bone on bone, this is NOT the problem. You can try him.

You might also try Dr. Thomas Gross at Midlands Orthopedic in Columbia SC. He resurfaced my hip and replaced my other knee and is an extraordinary surgeon. He also does tendon repair and I very well might go to him, although it is expensive for the travel and my insurance won't cover everything. Prefer a doc in NW but if not, I will go to him.

I also know that Dr. PHillipone in Vail at Steadman Hawkinds clinic is one of the first to pioneer this relatively recent surgery and I will be contacting him. You can google him and you can also google Dr. Kelly and see that Dr. Phillipon actually mentored him.

Hope this helps.

salmon gal in Alaska

weegie1 10-31-2011 03:06 PM

Hi everyone,
I had an open repair of my gluteus medius tear last Dec. at the Univ. of Va done by Dr. James Brown. I am back to full activity, dancing, working out, riding a hydrobike and feel fine. Occasionally, after a lot of walking, I still exhibit a Trendelenberg gait. It is mild compared to what it was presurgery. I find that using walking sticks when I know there will be a lot of walking, helps and prevents the muscle from fatiguing as quickly. Recovery is a long process, but I am glad I had the surgery. My tear was a partial one, and I was afraid if it progressed to a complete tear, it would not be as easy to repair. I had contacted the HSS in NYC and was told the surgeon's fee alone was 25,000 and this did not include any of the hospital fees. I would be liable for any amount my insurance would not cover. I don't doubt that good work is done at that facility, but I think there are less expensive options. Good luck to everyone.:):)

brangel 06-22-2012 10:35 AM

Please read my previous posts. Please dont have surgery as long as it isnt a complete tear. I had been suffering for more than 2 years, had chiropractic,Physical Therapy, steriod shots, all kinds of pain meds nothing helped until I found Dr David Harris at CHARM (Center for Health and Regenerative Medicine) in Austin Tx. He has been a God send. I have been receiving Prolotherapy every 6 weeks on my hip and knee since October 2011. Im done now and I can walk again. Dont know where you live but I am sure they can refer you to a good Prolotherapist. Best of Luck, Barbara