It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

stuckinplace HB User
radiation therapy for arthrofibrosis of knee?

Hi All,
I have been a reader of this forum for about 6 months. Thanks to all who have shared information.
I had a tkr on Aug 23 and have had a lot of trouble with range of motion. My knee manipulation was Nov 1. The knee is still hot and the scar bright red. I ice several times a day and am still taking Norco for the pain. I have had pt 3x/week since I was released from the hospital and have exercised and stretched on my own in between sessions. Despite aquatherapy both at pt and on my own I seem to be stuck at -10 extension and 105 flexion.
I went to the surgeon last week and they injected cortisone, followed by a stretching session with the pt. No gain. The surgeon mentioned that radiation therapy is the next step. Can any tell me about this option?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
(female)

cementknee HB User
Re: radiation therapy for arthrofibrosis of knee?

Hi,
I'm just wondering if you ever went ahead with the radiation therapy and if it was successful. I had not heard of radiation therapy. My doctor has not mentioned it. I am new to this board because I came to your post through goggling arthrofibrosis solutions 2010. I have arthrofbrosis in my knee after a TKR in June 2009 and I keep looking for possible solutions!
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
(female)

stuckinplace HB User
Re: radiation therapy for arthrofibrosis of knee?

Dear Cementknee,
My doc has backed off the radiation therapy idea. I saw him last week, and he decided that when I have my second knee replaced in two months he will manipulate the knee he first did in August while I am under anesthesia. He normally does not do 2 manipulations on a knee. When I questioned him about radiation all he would say was that it was unproven, and that he reserved it for patients who had less flexion than I do. Gulp! That would be bad indeed, since I am at 106 and have been since November 1. I have better pain control now, but the knee still gets hot and very stiff, and whereas I had less pain with extension, now I get sharp pain sometimes when I go from a bent knee position to extension. Last night it came on when I stood up, and it was terrible.

I wish I could offer more info. The radiation therapy was mentioned to me without much detail and I haven't been able to find out more about it on line or from the doc, which is why I posted my original query.

Closed Thread