It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

Chillytoes HB User
my x-ray & mri reports--please read over for me

Hello everyone I finally got copies of my x-ray and mri reports of my right knee. I understand about the torn meniscus, but the other wording has me stumped. thanks

here's what's on the x-ray report from April 2010:

findings: There is no acute fracture or dislocation. There are mild osseous degenerative changes with minimal osteophytes projecting from the distal medial femur and proximal tibia. Several joint space narrowing with no subchondral sclerosis. There is enthesopathy at the tendious insertion suprapatella. No intraarticular calcifications. No knee joint effusion.

impression: Degenerative changes as noted above with no acute abnormality.

here's the mri report:

findings: Axial, sagittal and coronal MRI images of the right knee were obtained. Gadolinium was not utilized.

No fracture or dislocation. There is amoderate strain of the medial collateral ligament. There is a tear the medial meniscus is well extending to the superior and inferior surfaces of the meniscus. The tear involves the posterior body and medial aspect of the posterior horn. No displaced miniscal fragments identified. Pararectal lateral collateral ligament and lateral meniscus are normal.

Minimal thinning of the patellar caratilage in the apex of the patella cartilage with subchondral cystic changes. A focal defect is noted as well. Moderate joint effusion. The anterior nad posterior cruciate ligament are normal.

Impression: Nondisplaced tear of the posteror horn and posterior body of the medial meniscus. Caratilage changes of the patella cartilage including mild thinning in a focal defect near the apex of the patella cartilage subchonddral cystic changes.
correlation patella versus costochondral inury should be considered. No fracture or dislocation. Moderate strain of the medial collateral ligament. No cruciate ligament injury identified.

I understand I have a tear in my meniscus, but the other wording has me stumped!!

Sorry so long.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
(female)

frankieswife HB Userfrankieswife HB User
Re: my x-ray & mri reports--please read over for me

A lot of the wording is not important to your diagnosis, but I will explain it to you in the easiest words possible (medical language isn't the easiest to understand I know).

"findings: There is no acute fracture or dislocation. There are mild osseous degenerative changes with minimal osteophytes projecting from the distal medial femur and proximal tibia. Several joint space narrowing with no subchondral sclerosis. There is enthesopathy at the tendious insertion suprapatella. No intraarticular calcifications. No knee joint effusion.

impression: Degenerative changes as noted above with no acute abnormality."

Ok so degenerative changes with minimal osteophytes projecting from the distal medial femur and proximal tibia: degenerative means it is a deterioration or wear and tear of the bones, this is commonly seen just as a factor of aging and osteophytes are actually better known as bone spurs and are your body's way of trying to increase the size of your knee joint in order to help your body weight be distributed more evenly and these osteophytes commonly cause pain. The location distal medial femur and proximal tibia refers to your the knee joint-these are the 2 bones that make up the knee joint.

enthesopathy at the tendious insertion suprapatella: this means there is an abnormality of the suprapatellar tendon where it inserts on the bone

"There is amoderate strain of the medial collateral ligament. There is a tear the medial meniscus is well extending to the superior and inferior surfaces of the meniscus. "

Medial collateral ligament: is located on the middle portion of your knee-and it attaches from the bone in your thigh (femur) to the tibia (shin bone), it is common to strain (as you have) or tear this ligament with a medial (middle) meniscal tear as the ligament also partially attaches to the medial meniscus.

"The tear involves the posterior body and medial aspect of the posterior horn. No displaced miniscal fragments identified. Pararectal lateral collateral ligament and lateral meniscus are normal"...This is just saying you have a meniscal tear on the medial side (middle) of your knee and the posterior (back) portion of the medial meniscus. It is nondisplaced, meaning it is torn but the section that is torn is still in the normal position-it isn't hanging into an abnormal place within your joint. The lateral (side of your leg) ligaments and meniscus are not torn according to this.

Minimal thinning of the patellar caratilage in the apex of the patella cartilage with subchondral cystic changes. A focal defect is noted as well. Moderate joint effusion. The anterior nad posterior cruciate ligament are normal.

This is just saying you have minimal thinning of the cartilage on your patella and the focal defect refers to a defect on the cartilage which can be caused by inflammation, injury, trauma to the patella. Also, your anterior and posterior (ACL and PCL) cruciate ligaments are not torn.

I hope this helped!! good luck to you!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Thanks, it does help.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

Sounds like you should have that knee scoped Chilly. They could take care of the bone spurs at the same time. Hope you been doing ok
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Hey Jersey!! I'm good hope you are too. I have my good and bad days. I was reading over my dr's report and it seems I have an mcl sprain too, among other stuff!! LOL

Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Wouldn't it be nice if that wording was in English so us lay people could really understand it?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Yes, Barb it would!! LOL

Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Hello everyone!! I'm sorry to revisit this thread, but I throught this would be a great way to get reaquainted with some of my friends.

Anyone that posted a reply please let me know how's you're doing now.

thanks

Reply Reply