It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
(female)

Bayoufox HB User
TKR Swelling 1 month out

I am soooo tired of this swelling. I'm one month post-TKR and am doing well in physical therapy. I'm walking without the cane and can straighten to 0 degrees and bend to 125 degrees. My knee feels pretty good most days, but I continue to have significant swelling from toes to thigh. It's better in the morning, after being off my feet all night, but by evening, I'm miserable again. Sitting in a hard chair is painful on the back of my leg. The back of my calves hurt as well.
I don't feel like I am doing all that much and I try to get off of my feet quite a bit during the day, yet the swelling persists. When can I expect relief from this?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
Re: TKR Swelling 1 month out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoufox View Post
I am soooo tired of this swelling. I'm one month post-TKR and am doing well in physical therapy. I'm walking without the cane and can straighten to 0 degrees and bend to 125 degrees. My knee feels pretty good most days, but I continue to have significant swelling from toes to thigh. It's better in the morning, after being off my feet all night, but by evening, I'm miserable again. Sitting in a hard chair is painful on the back of my leg. The back of my calves hurt as well.
I don't feel like I am doing all that much and I try to get off of my feet quite a bit during the day, yet the swelling persists. When can I expect relief from this?
Try wearing your compression hose and see if that helps. I still wear mine after more than a year because I feel I get some support from them. Plus that is one reason for them - to help with swelling. Can't hurt to try.

The Following User Says Thank You to barb70 For This Useful Post:
skcreedon (04-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

Bayoufox HB User
Unhappy Re: TKR Swelling 1 month out

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not been able to wear the compression hose. The ones from the hospital were in bad shape with holes for the TENS electrodes and slits at the thigh (so as not to cut off circulation) and I threw them away when I got home. No one told me to keep using them! When home health and PT came to my home, they told me that the hose would help with swelling so I had my dh pick up a new pair from a medical supply place. But then I couldn't get them on. Tried and tried. Ended up knocking the knee out of position, and it continued to pop in and out for days! My doctor suggested that I wear an ACE bandage wrapped snugly in place of the hose. And I do, but the only thing that really helps is keeping my leg elevated. Hard to get on with life with the leg up all the time, but it is what it is.

I asked the head PT guy at therapy today about the swelling and he said it could be a result of my not walking correctly, putting too much pressure on the knee joint by walking with it somewhat bent instead of locking it straight when I put the heel down. It's something I'm still struggling with. I asked about the really painful calf area too. He thinks it's just muscle pain. If so, it's the worst muscle pain I've ever had. So I'll continue to work on my walking technique, elevate, ice, and wear the ace. And hope the swelling and pain decreases.

I was feeling so good at about 3 weeks. And now the pains and problems are beginning to wear on me.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

About those compression hose I had to wear them for six weeks out of surgery other than at night. They are for swelling and keeping blood clots at bay. I still wear them for support. I had bought a new pair and after getting them home I saw how thick they were and never even tried to get them on as I knew I couldn't. There are thinnier ones that go on very easy and do the job and, I would imagine, be more comfortable.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
(female)

Bayoufox HB User

Thanks for your advice Barb. I have to say that things are getting better! The swelling has been less of a problem these last couple of days. I am consciously trying to walk correctly, which means a very slow pace, heel down, tighten quad as I rock onto the operated leg pushing the knee back, bending onto the other leg, repeat. It's slow, but it really works! Even a trip to Sam's to get food for our NYE party didn't result in excess swelling. And the calf pain is subsiding. Whew. Baby steps.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoufox View Post
Thanks for your advice Barb. I have to say that things are getting better! The swelling has been less of a problem these last couple of days. I am consciously trying to walk correctly, which means a very slow pace, heel down, tighten quad as I rock onto the operated leg pushing the knee back, bending onto the other leg, repeat. It's slow, but it really works! Even a trip to Sam's to get food for our NYE party didn't result in excess swelling. And the calf pain is subsiding. Whew. Baby steps.
Something else I forgot to mention. When I had major swelling my home PT taught me to sleep (if you can) with a couple of pillows beneath your legs and legs as high as you can get them. In one night of doing that I had immediate swelling go down. My foot was so swollen I couldn't get shoes on for a couple of months other than my Ugg boots. Pillows should not be beneath the knees, but the legs.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
(female)

skcreedon HB User

Hi
I am so happy to ready these posts. I am 5 weeks post TKR and seem to be getting painful swelling in my knee especially in the morning and after exercises. I've been icing, elevating (no compression stockings) and it helps a little --- but as one post I read said "I was better at 3 weeks after than 5" !! I know exactly how this feels. In one post it said to put pillows under your legs, not the knees. Does this mean at the ankles? I'm a side sleeper but I'm getting desperate to try anything. Thanks to all the have posted - this has been such a help.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcreedon View Post
Hi
I am so happy to ready these posts. I am 5 weeks post TKR and seem to be getting painful swelling in my knee especially in the morning and after exercises. I've been icing, elevating (no compression stockings) and it helps a little --- but as one post I read said "I was better at 3 weeks after than 5" !! I know exactly how this feels. In one post it said to put pillows under your legs, not the knees. Does this mean at the ankles? I'm a side sleeper but I'm getting desperate to try anything. Thanks to all the have posted - this has been such a help.
Try a pillow between your legs when on your side. Many feel that helps.
If on your back the pillow or pillows should be at your ankles - not under your knees.

Closed Thread