It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
(female)

Bayoufox HB User
Skin Hypersensitivity Post TKR

I've read quite a bit about numbness and such after TKR, but I have a different problem. Although I AM numb along the front of the knee and an inch or so down the surgery leg, I have a VERY sensitive area on the shin of the operated leg. From the ankle and up about 5 inches the skin is hypersensitive to the point that I can't stand anything touching it...bed sheets, long pants, washclothes, etc. I wrap my leg in an ace bandage before getting into bed and wear shorts or baggy wide legged pants! The physician's assistant could give me no answers, but prescribed Lyrica (for nerve ending pain). Has anyone experienced this increased sensitivity and do you have any tips for living with it...or getting rid of it?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
(female)

valentino2003 HB User
Re: Skin Hypersensitivity Post TKR

I was wondering if you ever healed from this pain as I'm post TKR and suffereing from the exact same thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

Bayoufox HB User

I wouldn't say "healed", but it is "better". I'm one year out and still have a hypersensitivity on the front of my lower leg. I cringe a bit when washing and have to be extremely careful when shaving as I still don't have normal feeling in that area. BUT, it no longer hurts to have things touch it.

Maybe I just tolerate it more but it won't stop me from having my other knee done NEXT WEEK!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
(female)

knee4me HB User

I am 8 weeks out from TKA surgery and experienced the same thing. There was a period of about 4 to 5 weeks that it was hyper-hyper sensitive.... couldn't sleep at night with even a light sheet on the leg! I spent many nights on the recliner with a blanket over me and my bare operated leg sticking out. It has slowly improved. It's not as hyper sensitive anymore... I can sleep with sheets and comforter on top of my leg now. Some clothing will irritate it, and some irritation if I sleep on my stomach (which incision face down), but otherwise its tolerable. I think what helped me is taking a pain pill at night so I can sleep. On the weekend, I will take an Ambien. The hypersenitivity and general achiness of not being able to find a comfortable position kept me up at nights for weeks. When I asked the doc about it, he said it's the nerves regenerating themselves and it could be up to a year till that went away.

The Following User Says Thank You to knee4me For This Useful Post:
valentino2003 (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
(female)

Bayoufox HB User

Thanks for sharing what you have experienced as well as your doctor's thoughts on this, knee4me.

I'm one week out on the second TKR and thankfully don't seem to have the same problem this time In fact, I'm quite amazed at how normal this leg feels. I have only a tiny area of numbness on the shin and no hypersensitivity.

Closed Thread