It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
(female)

FLNative49 HB User
Right TKR Recovery Assistance

I'm going in to have TKR on my right knee January 5th. My hospital stay will be three days and then home for PT. Once home it will be just me and my 16yr. old daughter. Can anyone comment on the type of assistance I might need other than preparing meals and doing every day chores like laundry and cleaning? Additionally, once I'm released from the hospital will I need to have somone with me 24/7 for the first couple of days?

Last edited by FLNative49; 12-28-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
(female)

buddapest1 HB User
Re: Right TKR Recovery Assistance

I had my TKR Dec 10th, 3 days in hospital but I went to sub-acute rehab for 10 days, that helped, if you are going directly home from the hospital I would say you should have someone there at all times from a while, god forbid you fall. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
(male)

glennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB User

I had TKR (right knee as well) in Oct, went home in 3 days, I live alone, kids visiting at night for any help.
- you should have s nurse coming to your home to remove staples and check the blood assuming you are on blood thinner (this is typical), the hospital social worker will arrange all this.
- I could walk as soon as I left hosipital so I was fortunate.
- I had groceries delivered from an online service so no problem there.
- going to bathroom and using the CPM machine will be challenging the 1st week or so but typically not insurmountable.

Going up and down stairs will be a little challenging at 1st but passes quickly.
The meds will make you a little drowsy so you have to be careful.

Thats all I can think of, keep the faith during recovery it gets signifcantly better after the 4th week. Best of luck,

Glenn

Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
(female)

FLNative49 HB User

Thank you for responding, I am so not looking forward to this surgery. The hopeful outcome, yes - but the surgery no. So having someone with me will be mostly to help me get around and to help steady me? I agree, the thought of falling particularly on my tile floors is not a pleasant one.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
(female)

buddapest1 HB User

I had my TKR on Dec 10th, 4 days in the hospital and then 10 days in sub-acute rehab, if you are going directly home after surgery I think you should definately have someone there 24/7 for a while. Good luck to you.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
(female)

FLNative49 HB User

Well that makes me feel a little better. At least my daughter will be there in the late afternoons and evenings and although only 16, quite the athlete so I'm confident she can help. My mother will be in and out as well but she's in her late 70's and tiny so I don't want to be more than she can handle.

I'm 49 and in good health, not overweight (by more than a few pounds anyway) so I don't anticipate any major difficulties but I also know that anything can happen and just want to be prepared. I appreciate your response, thank you.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
(male)

glennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB User

Another thing that helped me feel steady on my feet was the shoes. I bought rubber/gummed soles from Bass shoes, they slip-on since you'lll have no ability to bend leg at 1st. Hope this helps.
Glenn

Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
(female)

FLNative49 HB User

Thank you, that's good to know. I'll make sure someone is there at least for a few days after I'm home.

How are you holding up with all that snow you're getting?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
(male)

For what's its worth, I was out shoveling/using snow blower for 2 properties yesterday for 4 hours, 20+ inches of snow here on Long Island.
My new knee was fine (slightly tender), its my back that hurts after all of that !
I am 9 weeks post OP but can basically do anything I need to do so there is light at end of tunnel.

Glenn

Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
(female)

FLNative49 HB User

It's all over the news, you guys definitely have your hands full. Fortunately here in FL that won't be a problem for me. Temps in the 20's won't help though but I think we're going to warm up fairly soon.

Thank you again for the information, really glad to hear that your knee is holding up against all that snow. Take Care.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
(female)

Bayoufox HB User

Those first few days home are going to be tough...but no unduly so. I assume your daughter will be in school. Still, enlist her help when she's home and prepare for the times when she is not. Prepare a spot for you on the sofa for during the day. Have things handy that you may need...water, meds, Tv remote, telephone, pillow(s), blanket, polar care ice machine (the best invention ever!). I had a basket to hold many of the things I needed during the day. The pain meds made me incredibly thirsty so I was particularly glad that I took home the hospital insulated water pitcher! Perhaps your daughter can fix you breakfast and prepare the ice machine before she leaves in the AM. You will not want to be walking around a lot those first few days. Going to the bathroom and doing your exercises will be exhausting enough. Then schedule the home health nurse and home health PT for during the day when your daughter is away. You might appreciate the company, even though the PT will make you work. Before your surgery, stock up on easy to fix lunches and dinners.

Those first few days couldn't have been too bad because after a few days home my son caught me walking around the bedroom with my walker in one hand and the vacuum in the other. LOL!

Best of luck!

Last edited by Bayoufox; 12-28-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: additional info

Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
(female)

FLNative49 HB User

Yes, my daughter will be at school which is one of the reasons I posted. I was concerned. My surgery is on Wednesday so Thursday and Friday in the hospital and if all goes well home on Saturday. My mom will be in and out during the week but she's tiny and getting up there in age so she'll be limited in strength. With any luck by the time my daughter heads off to school on Monday after the surgery, I'll be a little more independent. I hope so. Sounds like excellent advice, can you comment regarding what I should have at the hospital during my stay other than the necessary toiletries? Also, is the Polar Ice Machine something I can get from the hospital? My pre-op appointment is tomorrow morning so I'm sure I'll know more after but any information will be helpful.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

Hi, all of the suggestions listed here sound good. One thing you might want to do when you get home is keep a journal of your experience. I did this with both my TKR's and found it especially helpful with the second one. I had a reference as to how well I was doing one to the other. It will also make a good read later on, trust me

One other thing I would do is keep a pad and pen nearby and make down when you take your meds, they do kinda make you loopy and you don't want to OD In my experience it's not near as bad as you might expect. My journals are on here somewhere TKR by Matter is a good read also. Good luck
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
(female)

FLNative49 HB User

Sounds like a plan and apparently I'll have enough time on my hands. For now anyway, the xrays indicate no problems with my left knee. I'm sure though if I ever have to go through this again, I'd benefit from a journal of the experience. Thanks, pen and paper are on the list!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
(female)

Bayoufox HB User

Whenever I talk to others in this area who have had TKR surgery, regardless of the hospital, they all have used the polar ice machine after surgery and had it come home with them for keeps. I'm thinking it's pretty standard issue...like the CPM machine which you use after surgery and take home for a period of time. (The CPM is rented and the hospital supply company who provides the machine picks it up later on from your home.)

And YES, how could I forget pen and paper! I noted every time I took pain medicine. It was useful for me and for home health/PT who want to know how often I was taking them. BUT, don't think you need to wean yourself off of them any time in that first month. I was trying to do that (suggested by PTA) and my physician said not to...that it was more important to keep pain under control, and feel well enough to do my exercises and PT. 5 weeks out and I still take one on therapy days and one before bed. (Quite often sleep eludes me, so I try to eliminate any obstacles.)

Funny you mention a journal Jerseyboy! I wish I had thought to journal right after surgery, but it took me a few days before I thought of it. Then I dusted off an old blog and started keeping track of some of the highs and lows of my recovery. I DO need to have the second knee done at some point, so I am sure to refer to my notes on the process.

Closed Thread