It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

Bayoufox HB User
Sudden Change in Scar Appearance

I was just released from the doctor's care (6 weeks post op tkr) until my 6 mo. checkup. Physical therapy is going well. Flexion is 0 to 130+ and we are just continuing to work on my gait, walking correctly. My scar has been gradually getting less apparent, lightening to a pinkish color, completely healed for weeks. A few minutes ago, I sat in the recliner and put my legs up and noticed a half inch area of the scar that appears black or dark purple under the skin! It wasn't like that this AM. I had therapy and everything was fine. What the heck? Should I be worried? I tried to call the doctor's office, but after sitting on hold for 20 minutes I was disconnected, so I thought I'd ask here...and keep my eye on it for any other changes.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Sudden Change in Scar Appearance

It's probably nothing more than a bruise forming under the scar. You may have ruptured a tiny blood vessel during PT.

It takes a while for the skin to develop all new blood vessels where the skin was cut and they are pretty fragile so that is to be expected. I wouldn't worry unless it starts to get very red or inflamed looking. Try some ice to slow the bleeding underneath the skin.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

Bayoufox HB User

Thank you Jenny. I panicked, and was ready to head to the doctor's office, but you're probably right. I'm sure it's just veinous blood that has risen to the surface of the skin. If it had occurred right after today's therapy, I would have dismissed it immediately, but hours later it caught me off guard.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

No problem. I've had 14 knee surgeries including both knees replaced at the same time so I've seen it all. Now waiting for my first set of revisions. It just never ends with knees!

hugs.............Jenny

Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

My scar looks fine, but burns all of the time. My primary care doc gave me Pennsaid to apply to it and it helps a tad. Anyone else have this burning sensation? Probably not since I seem to be the only one with all of these odd problems. I still have pain deep inside of the knee and pain 24/7.

Closed Thread