It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Fell and smacked knee, pain keeps growing.

Last Friday, I got hit from behind (stupid accident, my own fault) and thrown down onto my left knee with some force. At the time, I thought it was just a bruise, I've fallen and bruised that knee before. Fifteen minutes later, I bruised it again! I iced it and stayed mostly off it the rest of the weekend, but it just kept getting worse.

Monday I was only able to get around on crutches. Since Tuesday, any movement of my leg, or sitting with leg unsupported, or jostling it in a car are all quite painful, and even resting on the couch I'm still in significant pain a lot of the time.

A few years back, I had a (relatively minor) ankle surgery. I feel almost as bad now as I did the day after surgery. Oh, and I can't take oral NSAIDS, so right now my only pain relief is ice and an anti-inflammatory gel.

I got an x-ray at the hospital yesterday. They said, "It's not broken, so it's sprained, probably not a big problem," and I was like, "I've had sprains, I've never had this constant pain," and they said, "I dunno, see an orthopedist."

I made an appointment with an orthopedist, but it's not until next week. Meanwhile, I can't get to work, because it hurts too much moving around, even with crutches. (Going to work with crutches is awful, but I've done it before.) Work obviously wants to know how long I'll be out, and I've got no information for them, I can't go back until I can sit comfortably in a regular chair. Keeping it wrapped helps some, but then my toes turn to ice.

The state of my knee is: Bruised top and bottom, visibly but not grossly swollen below the kneecap. No instability. I can't extend or flex it fully, but that's probably just swelling getting in the way. The impact was below the kneecap, toward the inside, with knee bent. Anything pulling down on my foot, or having my foot hang down, hurts A LOT. Other movements are more or less ok.

Any thoughts on what's going on here? I've got a feeling I might have damaged some cartilage, but I could be wrong. What time frame might I be looking at for recovery, at least to the point that I can stand comfortably?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Fell and smacked knee, pain keeps growing.

Sorry you fell Jane!

I fell on my right knee in the exact same area and it tore the medial meniscus. Required surgery to fix it.

How long to be back on your feet....all depends on what you did. If you tore anything other than the meniscus, it could take a while and may not go down until surgery. Or it could be drained and feel much better. Knees are very fickle...they seem to have a mind of their own and I know my left knee reacts very differently from my right.

Stay off of it and put a 6" ACE bandage on it to help push the fluid out of it. Just a simple build-up of fluid can cause a ton of pain and make it almost impossible to stand on. I remember going into my doc's office on crutches and in major pain and then walking out holding the crutches after it being drained....did that more than once.

An ACE bandage and elevation should help with swelling. You could still use ice but if it's not helping, go to heat. It increases the blood flow and helps to take fluid out of the soft tissues. And seeing the ortho. Plan on an MRI.

Take care....we need you here.

gentle hugs........Jenny(14 knee surgeries and counting)

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
janewhite1 (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, knees are funny. My other knee's been bad since I was in high school, which makes crutches just all the more special.

I'm trying to keep it wrapped, and wrapping does ease the pain, but I've been having a really hard time keeping my feet warm this winter, even before I hurt my knee. Even indoors with warm socks on. Add inactivity, elevation, ice, and bandages to the mix, and there's basically no circulation getting to my toes at all. Last night I spent hours awake with shooting pain in my toes on that side when my foot finally warmed.

Maybe I'll start using heat, too.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I would listen to all Jenny has to suggest. I think she knows as much as any doctor.
But make sure to see your Ortho. I did the same thing last summer and even though the X-ray shows no damage I am beginning to wonder if that is part of my constant pain.
I hate my life the way it is. Have always been active and now I am a couch potato and all I do is go for some sort of medical treatment. Knee surgery is not fun. I admire those that snap out of it and are so pleased with the surgery - I'm not one of them.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

So today I wound up at my doctor, because the pain was just intolerable. And she did an exam, said maybe meniscus tear, I'm too swollen to tell for sure.

Here's the weird-but-really-good part: After the exam I felt way better. I'm still far from ok, I still need the crutches, but the constant pain is gone, and in the taxi ride home, I did NOT feel like every bump the cab hit was out to kill me. Before, moving around even with the crutches was awful, and last night, well, first I was taking the Lord's name in vain, then I was taking the Lord's name in earnest.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is that something was torn and displaced, and that all the twisting and poking and pushing slid it back into place. I sort of don't care, as long as it stays this way, because right now, I feel like a cat having its belly scratched. PUUUURRRRRRR.

Next week is orthopedist. We'll see what he says.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Jane, you just perfectly explained what happens with a torn meniscus and why it is so frustrating. One day it's in a bad place and as you said, are taking the Lord's name in vain and then it goes back into place and you feel better. And that 's when many people walk away from having it fixed. Until it gets into the bad place again and by then they've canceled surgery and have to start the process all over again.

And many repeat this cycle over and over again, too.

Glad it's better. Let me know what the ortho says, Jane. I'm getting my self ready to go for possibly knee surgeries #15 and 16....takes some time to get the guts to do it. Made up my mind to travel to Boston rather than have the same doc who did my replacements do the revisions. Just need better all over care for my entire body and I can't get that here(I don't feel I can).

Take care friend.................Jenny

Old 02-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for explaining that. My orthopedist's appointment got pushed back to next Wednesday (grrrr) but I have done some reading and come to two conclusions.

1) It is likely I have a meniscus tear.

2) If this is confirmed by the surgeon, and he thinks that surgery would be helpful, I will almost certainly do it.

I was off work this week, but next week I really need to be there, at least Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. 11 weeks left until break!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

So, thank you hospital.

Finally went to an orthopedist today, 6 days after the hospital told me it was nothing. He (of course) insisted on doing his own x-rays.

And apparently I cracked the tibial plateau. I saw the film, it was not terribly subtle. One area of bone looks like a piece of paper does after you crumple it up, then smooth it out again. If the radiologist at the ER had bothered to look at it for more than 3 seconds, or if the lady who examined me had told him where exactly to look, I can't see how they could have missed it.

Then again, it might not have been as obvious in the previous films. Sometimes it takes a while for something to show. Anyway, I just spent 6 days on the couch in constant grinding pain after having been told I was "fine," so I'm a little cranky.

Still, this is actually good news, sort of. Hairline fractures hurt plenty, but unless you're a complete idiot about recovery, or damage it again before it fully heals, it's almost always fine in the end. Meniscus tear is a bigger deal in the long term. It's possible there is significant damage to the meniscus above the fracture, but the doctor sort of implied that he didn't think so.

Now I've got a brace that looks like it was built by NASA and in a few days I will have an MRI. Still, the swelling and pain is beginning to go down, and the brace makes it a lot easier to get around, even though I'm still using the crutches.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Aren't ER's great, Jane! I broke my wrist and they missed it but I insisted on another x-ray elsewhere and sure enough, there was a reason I heard this big "CRACK"! Heck, they missed the 3 broken vertebrae in my neck...same ER too! Decided today that I will never go back there for more surgery so I am now off to find a new ortho. Good ortho but that is the only place he operates and I can't go back there and risk my life so it's bye-bye to ortho too.

Glad they found it and hope the MRI is clean for meniscal tears. Those fractures can hurt a lot but you are very correct in that, in the long run, it is a better injury to have. I always said I would have been so much better off had I just broken my darn leg rather than rip up my knee.

Let us know what the MRI says.

gentle hugs...........Jenny

Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Finally got my MRI results. The high points:

1) Confirmed subcortical fracture of the tibial plateau.

2) 3mm tear of the medial meniscus, right by the fracture. That is a very small tear, luckily. Doctor seemed to think it won't be a problem, although he will reassess when the fracture heals. I do have full range of motion now, without clicking. The last bits are painful, but that's just swelling I think.

3) Assorted bursae around the patella are swollen up. Which would probably be due to me smacking the kneecap like 4 times in the past 2 years, once the same day as the tibia-cracking fall.

4) The rest of my cartilage shows only the most minimal of degenerative changes.

Now, I kinda don't like this doctor. He's very into the 1950's "surgeon as God" attitude, and I'd rather be informed and make my own decisions. He wouldn't let me know anything about the MRI results until he walked into the treatment room, and he didn't tell me everything that was on it. He seems sharp, but I'm not sure I could trust him enough to operate on me.

The upshot is, it's probably going to be ok. He wants to see me again in 5 weeks, and my impression is that he expects me to be fully or almost fully recovered at that point. If I'm not, well, then we'll see.

Meanwhile, I might try to find a surgeon I get along with better to maybe finally fix my other knee this summer.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jane....nothing worse than the "God as surgeon" guys. Do find another one. They think we are morons and if they only knew how much we know they'd be shocked. Maybe Healthboards should encourage docs to read the boards but not post...learn how much we do know. I like a doc who makes me their partner in helping me heal.

I hope this finally starts to heal for you and the pain starts to lessen. I know how bad knee pain kind of sinks in and affects your every move. Don't realize how much you need your knees until you don't have them.

Be praying for you.....................Jenny

Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're right about some doctors. Then again, I've seen some go too much the other way, offering almost no guidance or advice whatsoever.

I think I know who I want to call for a second opinion. He's more local and specializes in knees. Wanted to see him initially, but my appointment got pushed back, and I was just in too much pain to wait indefinitely.

My injury is definitely healing. Less painful, less swollen. It's a slow process, but my knee is clearly better than it was 2 or 3 weeks ago. Wish I knew exactly when I'll be up to sports again, but no one can tell me that for sure.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Sorry to hear all of this. I, too, had to change doctors after my very well known doc dismissed me still with much pain in the knee and also in my back. I'm not a happy camper and have this terrible feeling that even after all of the therapy I am having now the knee is going to have to be redone. Hope I am wrong. I seem to spend every day now going to some kind of therapy and when finally home go to sleep to get away from my problems and many close family members who are ill.
Wish I had the answers to all of this, but I don't.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Went to see the other orthopedist today. I do have a better feeling about him.

My fallen-on knee is healing. 2 months after I fell, I can walk without assistance, although stairs are still a little tough. Doctor says it should another 2 months for full recovery.

My RIGHT knee, never injured but chronically sore (and severely aggravated by compensating for my injury), he's going to scope. MRI showed a little cartilage degeneration, but he thinks there's a plica or other piece of tissue that's irritating my knee. If so, removing it would help a lot.

One part of me is FREAKING TIRED of being laid up, but another part is looking forward to it, honestly. After 14 years, my knee might actually get better.

Last edited by janewhite1; 03-28-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

0000000000000000000077`````````````
Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
So today I wound up at my doctor, because the pain was just intolerable. And she did an exam, said maybe meniscus tear, I'm too swollen to tell for sure.

Here's the weird-but-really-good part: After the exam I felt way better. I'm still far from ok, I still need the crutches, but the constant pain is gone, and in the taxi ride home, I did NOT feel like every bump the cab hit was out to kill me. Before, moving around even with the crutches was awful, and last night, well, first I was taking the Lord's name in vain, then I was taking the Lord's name in earnest.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is that something was torn and displaced, and that all the twisting and poking and pushing slid it back into place. I sort of don't care, as long as it stays this way, because right now, I feel like a cat having its belly scratched. PUUUURRRRRRR.

Next week is orthopedist. We'll see what he says.
Glad you are improving well. The chance of tearing a meniscus or damaging a ligament with your desciption of the accident would be unusua.l It would be safe to say you compressed the articular surfaces of the knee cap and the surface of the knee joint. Usually there is swelling above the knee joint joint and at times some blood. The pain is usually pretty severe. Movement is restricted in a pattern of more loss of flexion than extention .Some of the restriction is from muscle tightness and some from the swelling in the joint. Often, as soon as someone moves the joint the muscle tension gives way and also the movement moves the fluid around the joint and it is absorbed more quickly. You should carry on withy ice and do what are called static quads exercises. Roll up a towel, place under the knee, push down with the knee and raise your heel at the same time. Do it within the limits of the pain, and 10 reps every hour.
James

Closed Thread