It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
(female)

nelldance HB User
Bony lump on patella

On my right knee on the patella specifically, I have a hard bump. It is not movable. It is very hard, and seems to be on the actual bone. If I ever hit it the pain is horrible. It bruises easily as well. I can see the lump when the knee is bent and when it is extended. It seems to be right in the middle of the knee cap closest to my thigh superficially. The other knee does not have this, and it has been present for over a year now with no real change. If the knee is bent for a prolonged time, I feel strain in the area where the bump is present. Also, while bending down and up, my knee (s) crackle horribly, and pain is felt right where the bump is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
(female)

OxygenMM HB User
Re: Bony lump on patella

I have the same problem with my left knee. I don't know whats going on.
I have patella tracking disorder in both knees and have been exercising daily for 4 months to build my quad muscles. In this time, I have noticed the lump on my left knee get bigger and bigger. I can't kneel, squat, and especially lean my left knee cap against a wall or anything - oh the pain. My lump is at the very top of the patella. At first it was a soft spot and now it is more of a lump (which can be seen when bending my knee). I had full blood work done about 6 months ago everthing is normal. Xrays came back good on my knees. The insides do not need to be scraped. I am rather perplexed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Bony lump on patella

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelldance View Post
On my right knee on the patella specifically, I have a hard bump. It is not movable. It is very hard, and seems to be on the actual bone. If I ever hit it the pain is horrible. It bruises easily as well. I can see the lump when the knee is bent and when it is extended. It seems to be right in the middle of the knee cap closest to my thigh superficially. The other knee does not have this, and it has been present for over a year now with no real change. If the knee is bent for a prolonged time, I feel strain in the area where the bump is present. Also, while bending down and up, my knee (s) crackle horribly, and pain is felt right where the bump is.
That is interesting. Firstly, do you think you have had it for a while and not noticed? The two things that come to mind is firstly, that the patella tendon is pulling more on one part of the knee cap and irritating it enough to produce some extra bone. The other idea is you have a bipartite patella. This happens in adolescence when the cartilage becomes true bone and the knee cap does not join up properly and a bump appears. A bump on the knee cap, as it sticks out, is more often bruised as a smaller area takes the brunt of any blow, just like the rip of an elbow. Get you doc to take a skyline view of the patella and see what the exray shows. Let us know, it seems a rare condition.
James

Closed Thread