It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Connie620 HB User
Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Hello Everyone,

I posted quite a bit after my rt. TKR on 5-24-10....Anyway, I stopped posting because usually what I wrote about was the amount of pain I was having and wasn' t seeing a lot of improvement. Well, compared to the first few weeks, I have improved, but I still am having pain to the extent that it has limited my activity greatly. I am really not much better than before surgery in terms of pain, but my leg seems to be more stable. That is a plus.

I know that many have great success with knee replacement and that has been my motivation. I often wonder if my very bad back has much to do with my knee. Unfortunately, my Dr. did not seem too interested in the amount of pain I was having 6 months post op and basically dismissed me, saying "it is what it is". In terms of flexion, extension I passed so he sees this as a success.

What concerns me now is the pain seems to be going farhter down my leg and I have lots of pain in the bone below the knee as well as the knee itself. I'm wondering now, if this is as good as it gets or should I see another DR.

I wish all of you who have had recent TKR a successful healing and don't mean to sound so negative. My understanding is that this type of surgery does have a high success rate.It just takes time.

Take care all and be good to yourselves..

Connie

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bethel Park PA USA
Posts: 11
dubll HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Had second TKR 5-26-10 and pain is increasing. First one is fine. I was not able to do rehab exercises as vigorously as first since both rotator cuffs are torn. Pain has me concerned enough that I made appt to see ortho dr next Tues as he told me last Nov I didn't have to see him for a year. Have friend who was having more pain 14 months after TKR and was just told it needs to be redone. I wish I knew what to tell you.

Right TKR-6-2009
Left TKR 5-2010
DX multiple myeloma-2007
Autologous stem cell transplant-2007

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 531
barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie620 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I posted quite a bit after my rt. TKR on 5-24-10....Anyway, I stopped posting because usually what I wrote about was the amount of pain I was having and wasn' t seeing a lot of improvement. Well, compared to the first few weeks, I have improved, but I still am having pain to the extent that it has limited my activity greatly. I am really not much better than before surgery in terms of pain, but my leg seems to be more stable. That is a plus.

I know that many have great success with knee replacement and that has been my motivation. I often wonder if my very bad back has much to do with my knee. Unfortunately, my Dr. did not seem too interested in the amount of pain I was having 6 months post op and basically dismissed me, saying "it is what it is". In terms of flexion, extension I passed so he sees this as a success.

What concerns me now is the pain seems to be going farhter down my leg and I have lots of pain in the bone below the knee as well as the knee itself. I'm wondering now, if this is as good as it gets or should I see another DR.

I wish all of you who have had recent TKR a successful healing and don't mean to sound so negative. My understanding is that this type of surgery does have a high success rate.It just takes time.

Take care all and be good to yourselves..

Connie
This sounds like I wrote this. My TKR was done 11/09 and everything you mention is me. I am going to see another Ortho tomorrow. I had the finest my city has to offer, but surgeons seem to do their thing and then dismiss you no matter what problems you are having. I have terrible back problems now too that I had to ask for an MRI. I have become my own advocate and started seeing a chiropractor and a neuromuscular massage therapist. I'm ready for any voodoo doctor that can help me. I only hope he tells me all is well inside there and maybe I need more PT even though I have had that up to my chin. My life is just not my own any longer and I cannot do all of the things I have done in the past.
I guess some of us just fall into a hole when it comes to TKR where others are lucky and get over it in a fair amount of time.

 
Old 02-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Connie620 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Hi Dub, sorry your second TKR is not going well. It's just such a puzzle to me...Here you have one that does fine and now the other not good. I do remember my Dr. telling me that not ALL surgeries do work. Some do fail. I was just so looking forward to having a more normal life with less pain and more activity.
Maybe I will get a second opinion. My Dr. bragged about the fact that he does 300+ knee surgeries a year...I think they sometimes rush through these surgeries as they have become so routine.
Well, take care and I wish you less pain and good health.
Connie

 
Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Connie620 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb70 View Post
This sounds like I wrote this. My TKR was done 11/09 and everything you mention is me. I am going to see another Ortho tomorrow. I had the finest my city has to offer, but surgeons seem to do their thing and then dismiss you no matter what problems you are having. I have terrible back problems now too that I had to ask for an MRI. I have become my own advocate and started seeing a chiropractor and a neuromuscular massage therapist. I'm ready for any voodoo doctor that can help me. I only hope he tells me all is well inside there and maybe I need more PT even though I have had that up to my chin. My life is just not my own any longer and I cannot do all of the things I have done in the past.
I guess some of us just fall into a hole when it comes to TKR where others are lucky and get over it in a fair amount of time.

Oh dear...I am very sorry to hear this, Barb. I know people who can't say enough good about their TKR's..Life changing, they say. That is what my hopes were before the surgery and even after 3-4 months, I thought time would take care of everything and the pain would go away. But that is not the case. I was always very active and I keep trying to walk, go shopping, cook, etc., but the pain gets so bad my leg just shuts down and I can only hobble. I'm thinking of trying acupuncture...you get to the point where you will try almost anything if it will just help.
Is your knee tender to the touch in places? Mine is very tender and still swells.
I hope youu find something that helps you and your pain gets better. Hang in there and I'll do the same.
Best of luck, Connie

 
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bethel Park PA USA
Posts: 11
dubll HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Barb, I have been following you here for a long time and really feel badly for you. I'm glad you have found another dr to see. I know in my case no two knees are ever the same, but I just don't think it should be almost as bad as it was after 9 months as before the replacement. I have had a partial remission from my cancer and this cancer causes lesions in the bones. One of the reasons I decided to get knees done while I could. Multiple myeloma does not stay in remisson forever. Am anxious to hear what the new dr says to you--just doesn't seem at all acceptable for you to have all this pain. Linda

 
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Memphis, TN, USA
Posts: 18
jmw63 HB Userjmw63 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Hello to all who have had TKRs,
This is my story: I am a 47 year old female with Obstructive Sleep Apnea diagnosed in 2002, Osteoarthritis diagnosed in 2005, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Autoimmune Dysfunction, Homocysteinemia, Hypercoagulation Syndrome, Iron Deficiency Anemia all diagnosed in 2006.
Left Total Knee 7/09
Right Total Knee 10/09
I can so relate to all of you on this post. My surgeries have not helped my pain or mobility at all. It is worse now than it was before. Both knees still feel very angry. I cannot do hardly anything...cook a meal, shop, clean, anything that requires standing or walking. My life is measured in steps. I was off for 6 months, did all the PT and think I gave good effort. I tried very hard anyway. I went back to work even though I knew I was not ready. I have pain with every step of every day, the left worse than the right. It feels like something is stabbing my left knee on the outer side. My doctor kept telling me that it takes a year to heal. I continued working even though every day when I returned home and pulled into the garage, I could only think....I can not do this again....and every morning I got up and did it again. I went through another month of PT to improve my gait, because the pain made it so abnormal, then after the 'year to heal', my doc finally began to at least investigate. Meanwhile, I have gained about 50 pounds! Bone Scan showed no loosening or infection, CT Scan showed alignment was OK. He said he knew I hurt, believed I hurt, could see that I hurt, but didn't know why. When he said he was going to send me to a pain management specialist, it felt like a life sentence. I started squalling and all that I could say was that I just wanted to be able to walk my dog. That probably really made him doubt my sanity...lol! The next day, his nurse called and said he wanted me to get a second opinion just in case he missed something. To me, that just confirmed that he is a good doctor. After researching the new doc, it seems he is considered one of the country's leading experts on knee replacements. I hope 'they' are right! We haven't talked about the right knee at all but as far as the left knee....the ligaments are too tight/short. My flexion is OK (in the 90's) but my extension is only down to 18! He did bring up the possibility of being allergic to the implants. I personally wonder if it has anything to do with my autoimmune problems. I am scheduled for revision March 1. He will work on my ligaments and feels sure he will have to replace the top part of the implant and says the recovery will be the same as the first go round. If I ask a direct question, he will answer but does not elaborate. I finally figured he did not want to get in the middle of a situation between me and my other doc. He doesn't know me well enough to know I am not looking for blame. He says he can give me relief so I will just have to go with that. I am still trying to make peace with the thought of doing this all over again! I'm sorry my post is so long but I have been very frustrated for a very long time. Nobody really understands unless they have been there...and it sounds like you guys have. I guess the moral of my story, at this point, has to be....go for the hope....don't give up.

 
The following 2 users give hugs of support to: jmw63
barb70 (02-15-2011), Connie620 (02-15-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 531
barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

I can't begin to tell you how I feel for you. I finally was able to see a new Ortho yesterday and he is having me go for private water therapy. If this does not help my knee and back it is either live with the pain or have the knee redone. Neither appeals to me. The thought of starting all over freaks me out. At the moment my life will be consumed with therapists of some kind every day - even two a day. Right now I have only one free day a week and that will soon change. Thank goodness I have just myself to take care of and no children and do not have to worry about cooking, etc. Stay in touch on the board. I think it helps to be able to vent to others that understand what you are going through.

 
Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Connie620 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Oh my goodness...you have been through the mill ,dear. I really, really feel for you and totally understand. You mentioned autoimmune problems...I wonder the same myself. I have Hashimoto's disease..an autoimmune disorder involving the thyroid. Apparently my immune system has decided to attack my thyroid, causing inflamation and hypothyroidism. I have thought that it might be the inflamation from my thyroid is causing problems with the knee. Who knows. I have tried to educate myself as much as possible, as the DRs. don't seem to know. I also have Fibro w/ lots of fatigue, so I can relate to you so much. Every step I take causes pain. Everything I try in terms of physical activity causes pain and not just minor pain.
I have been seeing a pain mgmt. Dr. and he has helped me with the pain, but that is only when I'm not active that I get some relief and even then I still have pain sleeping that wakes me up. I feel so bad that I can not longer do so many of the activities I used to do. I see my husband and he just wants 'it' fixed. so that we can do more together.
You are very brave to do another surgery, I hope and pray that it is a success and you are able to have a much better quality of life. You are so right...no one really understands unless you have been through this. It does help some to know you are not alone.

Take care and may God Bless you and give you strength.
Soft hugs, Connie

 
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Connie620 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Linda, you have much on your plate and I just want you to know I will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way..I wish you the very best...be good to yourself.
Hugs, Connie

 
Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Connie620 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb70 View Post
I can't begin to tell you how I feel for you. I finally was able to see a new Ortho yesterday and he is having me go for private water therapy. If this does not help my knee and back it is either live with the pain or have the knee redone. Neither appeals to me. The thought of starting all over freaks me out. At the moment my life will be consumed with therapists of some kind every day - even two a day. Right now I have only one free day a week and that will soon change. Thank goodness I have just myself to take care of and no children and do not have to worry about cooking, etc. Stay in touch on the board. I think it helps to be able to vent to others that understand what you are going through.
Hi Barb...I'm interested in that water therapy. Keep us posted and good luck with it. I know what you mean when you mention that the thought of more surgery freaks you out ! It would me too.
Take care,
Connie

 
Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bethel Park PA USA
Posts: 11
dubll HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Hi Connie and Barb, glad new dr gave you something to try, Barb. Saw my ortho Tues, took xrays and tested knee. Said everything is fine with replacement and thinks pain due to knee being weaker than first TKR and having more scar tissue. He is hoping that occasional PT "tune ups" will improve it. I started back to PT yesterday and it actually felt good to do exercises with knee healed from surgery--but boy am I feeling it today!! Doesn't help rotator cuffs. I will give it my best shot as any improvement in pain is a good thing. One day at a time everybody. Sending good thoughts and prayers. Linda

 
Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 65
Connie620 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Hi Linda,
I sure hope that the PT will be of benefit to you. I wonder if that might be something more of us should do if we don't have great results post TKR. Maybe I will ask my Dr. about that. I wish you the best.
Hugs, Connie

 
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bethel Park PA USA
Posts: 11
dubll HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Connie, I think we should be using the Pt "kits" many of our therapists had us make. Mine has been in the closet since last September. Mine is: towel covered paint can, ankle weights that can go from 1-5 lbs, an old bathrobe tie to do pull ups. I should do these 2 or 3 times a week when I finish this round of PT. Linda

 
Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Memphis, TN, USA
Posts: 18
jmw63 HB Userjmw63 HB User
Re: Nine Months TKR..still much pain

Hello Everybody,
Thanks to Barb and Connie for the hugs.
Well, there's nothing quite like rearranging your whole life around major surgery then having to cancel it! I forgot to mention in my list of diagnoses, recurrent MRSA cellulitis on.....of all places.....get this....my eyelids! I guess God did not want me in the operating room this Tuesday because I had a big, fat flare up. Surgery is now postponed until cultures are done in 6 weeks. If they are clear, then it will be rescheduled. I sure hate to have this holding over my head and hurting all the time, but part of me was so relieved. Hope everyone is doing OK....and finding pain relief whenever they can.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
knee pain 10 months after injury abakus7930 Knee & Hip Problems 2 08-31-2012 11:29 AM
8 Months After ACL/Meniscus Surgery and Still Having Pain dg456 Knee & Hip Problems 3 01-18-2012 12:21 PM
Still pain & swellling after 1 yr, 5 months schfu Knee & Hip Problems 3 01-04-2011 09:37 AM
Knee replacement challenges six months post stoneforeside Knee & Hip Problems 21 06-14-2010 10:12 PM
why am I having hip pain 4 months after hip replacement TrishGG Knee & Hip Problems 16 10-10-2009 10:13 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!