It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

arldon4344 HB User
Femoral Nerve Block complications following TKR

I have had both knees replaced. After the first surgery (June, 2009) I had lasting effects of the femoral nerve block which continue to this day. It includes burning, needles/pins, numbness in the knee and thigh area. This January, 2011, I had my other knee replaced. My surgeon and anesthesologist discussed another nerve block and advised me that what had happened in my other knee was so VERY RARE that I should be able to have another one without any problems. Well, I now have the same condition in my other leg. My neurologist calls it a nerve impingement and I am on gabepentin and lidoderm patches which provide minimum relief. Has ANYONE out there ever had this happen or know of any one who has had it? If so, I would really like to talk with them. I can't seem to get any answers as to how or why this happens to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
(female)

Littlesissylynn HB User
Re: Femoral Nerve Block complications following TKR

I have just begun looking through this site but what you are describing is what I now have. I did not have the TKR but my knee was pinned due to an accident. I have been unable to find much information on the numbness. My doc is unsure why it happened but I believe I know and it is due to the block and an incident that happened while they were completing it. I would be glad to exchange information with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
(female)

arldon4344 HB User

Hi and glad you saw my post. The problem I have been having now for 6 months (and for nearly 2 years prior to that) was a direct cause of femoral nerve blocks administered immediately following the 2 knee replacements. It appears that you were in an accident and then had some type of surgery requiring a femoral nerve block. Am I correct? If so, I am sure that your doctor or surgeon told you that this is TOTALLY RARE. However, I am beginning to think that it is rare ... but not totally rare.
Actually, I have been spending a considerable amount of time visiting a neurologist and getting minimal help. On my own, I decided to visit our local pain clinic and got a referral from my neurologist. In fact, tomorrow I will begin a trial of something called a SCS (Spinal Core Stimulant). There is a lot of information on the internet about this if you want to look it up. I have lived with the numbness now for so long that it is starting to affect my walking and standing ability. Keep in touch with me and I will do the same to you. Maybe what I am having done may just be an option for you too.
Best wishes.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
(female)

Littlesissylynn HB User

I fell on 1/27/11 and broke my kneecap. On 2/11/11 I had the surgery to pin and wire my kneecap back together. I did not know what the block procedure was until right before surgery when I was told I was going to be receiving one. Immediately After the surgery as I was waking up, I was in severe pain. It felt as though there was an electric bolt running from my thigh to my knee repeatedly 10-15 times. I was screaming and I heard them say they were going to give me morphine. The pain stopped and I did not think much more about it until the numbness and weakness continued.
Now I believe this side effect was due to them trying to give the block and failed.
They have now taken out the pins so I will start more therapy and hope this strengthens my leg/knee. I am not sure about the numbness and weather it will subside of not.
Christina

Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
(female)

arldon4344 HB User

So sorry to hear about your accident. I also thought that something went wrong with the nerve block, but it isn't easy to prove. Once I went to the pain clinic (which was at the same hospital where my nerve blocks were done) I was told by the doctor there (who also had a specialty in asestheiology) that I SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN EVEN OFFERED A SECOND FEMORAL NERVE BLOCK CONSIDERING WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE FIRST ONE.) In reading about your surgery, I can only guess that you may well have had the same reaction to this block that I did. Have you seen a neurologist yet? If so, have you had your nerves tested by that doctor to see if you had a nerve damage? If so and your problem continues, I would definitely have your doctor(s) refer you to a pain clinic. I would guess that there is one in your area - I live in a rural area of NW Wisconsin, and we have one here. As I said, I am having the Spinal Cord Stimulator trial done tomorrow and will be working with it for the next week or so. Then, if it works, they will permanently imbed it and I will be able to control the pain myself. If you would like, I will keep you informed on how this SCS works for me. In the meantime, good luck to you ... I really understand how misearable nerve related pain can be.

Best wishes, Arlys

Old 08-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
(female)

shethom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arldon4344 View Post
I have had both knees replaced. After the first surgery (June, 2009) I had lasting effects of the femoral nerve block which continue to this day. It includes burning, needles/pins, numbness in the knee and thigh area. This January, 2011, I had my other knee replaced. My surgeon and anesthesologist discussed another nerve block and advised me that what had happened in my other knee was so VERY RARE that I should be able to have another one without any problems. Well, I now have the same condition in my other leg. My neurologist calls it a nerve impingement and I am on gabepentin and lidoderm patches which provide minimum relief. Has ANYONE out there ever had this happen or know of any one who has had it? If so, I would really like to talk with them. I can't seem to get any answers as to how or why this happens to me.
I too have a very bad problem after a TKR.
I have an increased sensitivity in my leg I have very bad spasms and I feel like my tendon is being pulled up during the spasms tight making my leg tuck into my groin at night. I have to learn to walk again every single day I did have a tarsal tunnel surgery some 15 years prior and I don't know if that is the reason for my ankle swelling and being very very painfull to walk on.. what a shame you went through it not once but twice you poor thing.. It seems my consultant is scratching his head and does not know what to do with me. It could be femoral nerve block as nothing seems to kill the pain its only 10 weeks since my surgery and I am getting very scared about what the future may hold for me I too need the other knee done.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
(female)

arldon4344 HB User

Hi and sorry to hear about your knee pain. I can sympathize, although I do not have a great deal of pain anymore. As I mentioned to others who responded, I had SCS (spinal cord stimulator) system done and now control the times I have the electrical shocks going through my thigh/knee/leg area. It has helped a lot. However, I have been told that I will never recover the feeling in this area that is a direct result of the Femoral Nerve Block. I would compare this to going to the dentist, having a novacaine injection and it NEVER wears off. Good luck with your problem and be sure that your surgeon and anesthesia people know about what happened to you after the last replacement.
Good luck!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
(female)

jhinch62 HB User
Unhappy Re: Femoral Nerve Block complications following TKR

I had TKR almost 4 years ago. I live with persistent charley horses, from the femoral nerve all the way to my toes. I am scheduled to have a nerve conduction test next month to see where the blockage is, if any. I could care less about the numbness around my knee, but living with muscle spasms and cramps is extremely annoying. It's my right leg so driving is interesting. I had to get out of the car last night just because the movement of getting in the vehicle puts my right foot into cramps. I've been up since 3 am today with cramps and spasms. I've tried magnesium and potassium supplements and see no difference. Please, someone tell me this won't be this way the rest of my life? My knee works now, but the entire leg will suffer because of it?
Hopeless in Houston.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
(female)

texasmary HB User

Glad to see this discussion. My good friend had the femoral nerve block before her TKR and she did so great! I asked my surgeon if I would have one before my TKR and he said NO... that there were too many cases of permanent nerve damage. I will have some other type of anesthetic injection to keep the pain away for the first 24-48 hours after surgery. I will try to remember to post on this discussion to tell how my surgery goes, but it is now several weeks away. I don't know exactly where the injection will be placed and what it will consist of. Does anyone else know?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
(male)

STACHE55 HB UserSTACHE55 HB User

Had both knees done at the same time and had nerve block. Every situation is different. Due to me severe bowed legs my Dr. highly recommended the nerve block and explained the possible nerve damage but he also said The right side went fine while the left side has been somewhat of a problem. Currently 14 weeks post op and still feel the pins and needles. Have nerve pain and muscle spasm meds along with Oxycodone. The nerve and spasm meds really have helped since it calms the nerve down and allows the swelling / bruising of the nerve to heal. Started some weight training 2 weeks ago and ride a recumbent bike and elliptical machine every other day and I'm beginning to have the pins and needle pain less often. The meds come in handy about 1 hr before bedtime and sleep time is also improving. It's along road and at the beginning the pin and needle pains were a pain, but it's better than before. When I start to fell the pins and needles like right now, I rub the area which really helps. I truly believe that this process will take 12-18 months for a full recovery. Good luck to all

Reply Reply