It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

annette910 HB User
Question Water on the knee??

Hi,

I slipped down the stairs on the last ice storm...maybe 3 weeks ago, since then I "feel" like I have a bruise on my knee. Very slightly swollen and extremely squishy to the touch, almost like there is water under the skin on my knee. I do not have pain walking at all, although I can not kneel on that knee at all. Is this something to be concerned about, should I have it checked out? If it is water on the knee, should it be drained. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Water on the knee??

"Water on the knee" means you have excess fluid inside the knee joint. What you describe is more of a bruise with soft tissue swelling in the front of the knee where you landed.

There are bursas which are fluid filled pouches around the front of the knee and if they swell up, they can make it look even more swollen but they hurt badly when you walk and to the touch so I don't think it's that either. I think you just got a really bad bruise.

Give it time. Bad bruises around the knee joint can take a long time to clear up. Ice packs can help to bring down the swelling when it first happens but after 3 weeks, you probably need heat. A heating pad or hot packs or anything to heat the area will help to improve blood flow and that helps to take away the extra fluid in the bruised tissues. Those Therma Care wraps are great as they can give you heat for 8-12 hours so you can wear them all night or all day. You can also put one of those ACE bandages on your knee as long as it is kept fairly loose. that helps too to push the fluid out of the tissues but if you make it too tight, it makes more fluid by slowing the blood to the area. Make sure it is 6" wide and put on loosely. I find that if I do that at bedtime, it helps push some of the fluid out overnight. Then remove it during the day and use something like a Therma Care wrap during the day to keep the blood flow going really well as you are up and about during the day. That's what I do when I have these problems and I have them a lot.

Since you don't hurt to walk, I think you'll find that with time, it will get better. Be careful on the ice.

hugs...........Jenny(14 knee surgeries and counting)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I did something like that a couple years ago. It took 2-3 months to get to the point that I could kneel with comfort again. Probably would have been fine after that, except I kept bashing it every few months, because I'm clumsy. Doctor says it's bursitis, but not a big deal.

That's probably what happened to you, the bursa, that is, the fluid sac in front of your kneecap swelled up from the trauma.

I've found that heat followed by ice is great for that stubborn swelling. If it doesn't go down, a doctor can draw out fluids with a needle or administer a cortisone shot.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
(female)

annette910 HB User

Thanks for the responses...that is exactly what it is....both of you guys are on the money. No damage at all to knee, just fluid, dr. thinks it will go away on it's own.

thanks again for your responses!!

Closed Thread