It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
(female)

daydream123 HB User
Knee pain when sleeping

First off, I sort of know how I injured or aggravated my knee. I spend a lot of time on the computer and hate having my legs down, so tend to pull them up in front of me against the desk or Indian style under me. There have been several times when one of my knees have been sore after doing this. However, even after keeping my legs down I will still have the pain randomly for weeks. The only thing that really stops the pain is if I wrap it so it cannot be bent while I am sleeping. The knee issue was a huge problem for me about for almost a year in 2010, however it has been non existent for 6 or 7 months until now.

Anyway, the main concern for me is that my knee does not typically hurt while I am awake. It occurs while I am sleeping, in any position, and is sort of an intense deep throbbing pain that literally makes me gasp for air. Sometimes it is so bad that it feels like somebody is shoving a knife underneath my knee. These episodes last for what seem like forever, but probably only about a minute before the pain subsides. The pain feels like all of the tendons have clasped up and are tearing themselves apart under my kneecap and on the sides of me knee... it is just awful. I believe I re-injured it by sitting at the computer for a longer time then normal a few days ago. I stood up and had the same pain I had when sleeping but it went away and I went on with my day. Ever since then, every night I have the same pain several times throughout the night.

What I am asking is what on earth is going on? Any clues on what was injured? or maybe if there is an underlying condition that I just aggravated? If I pulled something you would think it would hurt doing everyday things or just anytime other then when it is resting. Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Knee pain when sleeping

In my experience, it is not unusual for a knee that s going bad, to hurt at night. The muscles relax at night and allow the knee joint to "spread" apart. If you have a knee cap or joint that has problems holding itself together, this is when you feel it.

Sounds like you feel the most pain behind the knee cap?

I'd be suspicious that you have a kneecap that laterally tracks....goes sideways when it shouldn't. It doesn't hurt that much when you walk but when you relax that knee, it allows the kneecap to fall sideways out of track and then the body senses it and pulls it back. Each time it does this, it acts like a veggie grater, grating the cartilage off the back of the kneecap.

Go see an orthopedist who specializes in knees before it gets any worse.

Jenny(14 knee surgeries and counting)

Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
Re: Knee pain when sleeping

I would check with your doctor or maybe an Ortho doc. Perhaps an X-ray or MRI will show somehting.

Closed Thread