It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
(female)

Crone HB User
"Popping" at back of knee

First of all, I realized recently after looking at some old photos from when I was a child that my right leg is noticeably longer than my left, and the knee is definitely lower.

I've had intermittent bouts of sciatica for about a decade. I am over 55 years old. For about a month, I've had a snapping, or popping, at the outside back of my left knee. Some days it's worse than others. It's worse during the night and I really feel it when I turn over. Yes, I am overweight. Yes, I try to lose weight. Yes, I have fought the weight battle and lost for my entire life.

Some of these "pops" seem to clearly move something (ITB???) out of place. Some seem to pop it back in. The latter kind usually make it feel better after the pain of the pop.

I have had 9 chiropractic treatments which haven't done much of anything other than the same kind of "forced pop" that I can do myself.

Where do I go from here? Do I go right to an orthopedist and try to find one who'll help me after giving me The Inevitable Weight Lecture (as if we don't know we're fat!)? Go to a GP and get a scrip for an MRI and THEN go to an orthopedist? Try to get some weight off and then see what happens? It does feel more stable after the chiro treatments, but I can't afford to keep going three times a week!

And most importantly, does anyone know what this is?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: "Popping" at back of knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crone View Post
First of all, I realized recently after looking at some old photos from when I was a child that my right leg is noticeably longer than my left, and the knee is definitely lower.

I've had intermittent bouts of sciatica for about a decade. I am over 55 years old. For about a month, I've had a snapping, or popping, at the outside back of my left knee. Some days it's worse than others. It's worse during the night and I really feel it when I turn over. Yes, I am overweight. Yes, I try to lose weight. Yes, I have fought the weight battle and lost for my entire life.

Some of these "pops" seem to clearly move something (ITB???) out of place. Some seem to pop it back in. The latter kind usually make it feel better after the pain of the pop.

I have had 9 chiropractic treatments which haven't done much of anything other than the same kind of "forced pop" that I can do myself.

Where do I go from here? Do I go right to an orthopedist and try to find one who'll help me after giving me The Inevitable Weight Lecture (as if we don't know we're fat!)? Go to a GP and get a scrip for an MRI and THEN go to an orthopedist? Try to get some weight off and then see what happens? It does feel more stable after the chiro treatments, but I can't afford to keep going three times a week!

And most importantly, does anyone know what this is?
I would guess you have a biceps femoris tendon insertion dysfunction.
Have a seat, feet on the floor and dig your heel into the carpet. Now feel the outer back of your knee and here is a tendon, the hamstring muscle, biceps femoris. Now run your finger down the tendon till it stops and that is the insertion of the tendon which flexes and rotates the knee joint. The insertion is the head if the fibula. This may or may not be part of your past leg discrepancy, but what it is most likely is the tendon clicking back then forward over the outer part of the knee, not very common. It could also be a small bursa which has become swollen or thickened and is situated between the tendon and the knee joint or the fibula. Remember, if doctors say it's your weight it is because they dont know what else to say!
It may settle on it's own, if not and the doc thinks it is the bursa then needle it. If it is the tendon that is more difficult proposition, the most daring solution is perhaps to relocate it somewhat, but I have no knowledge of that.
Chiro won't change things I would not think.
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread