It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
(female)

lequitation614 HB User
Pain after medial meniscus repair

Hello, four years ago I had arthroscopic medial meniscus repair. Since then, I have experienced pain from time to time and still have completely returned to activities that I participated in before the surgery. Last week, I twisted my knee in a way that brought on more pain than I had ever felt in my knee even when I initially injured my knee. My knee is still hurting and I am not sure what to do about it. I've seen my doctor and he says that everything looks normal in my MRI but I feel like if everything was normal then why am I in so much pain to the point where normal activity is agitating my knee. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Pain after medial meniscus repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by lequitation614 View Post
Hello, four years ago I had arthroscopic medial meniscus repair. Since then, I have experienced pain from time to time and still have completely returned to activities that I participated in before the surgery. Last week, I twisted my knee in a way that brought on more pain than I had ever felt in my knee even when I initially injured my knee. My knee is still hurting and I am not sure what to do about it. I've seen my doctor and he says that everything looks normal in my MRI but I feel like if everything was normal then why am I in so much pain to the point where normal activity is agitating my knee. Has anyone else had this problem?
Perhaps your leg muscles are not strong enough.
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Was the MRI taken after you fell? Did the doctor actually look at the films, or just read the radiologist's report? MRI can miss things, and films can be misread.

Definitely follow up and continue to push for answers. Meanwhile, don't do stuff that aggravates it. Can you describe the pain?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
(male)

Hagencito HB User

You are completely right! MRI misses alot ! Is not accurate unless is a big problem. Mri misses meniscus tears.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Unfortunately for many people knees are like backs, once you have them operated on they are never the same. Continuous pain is not uncommon. They tend to be weaker also, as you have probably been guarding the knee during activity to keep the pain at bay. You might want to talk to your doc about some PT to strengthen up your knee, and ask him to make sure there is no swelling. Swelling can cause a lot of pain, but can be solved pretty easily with an anti-inflammatory. A cortizone injection may also give you relief.

Kat

Old 06-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
(male)

Hagencito HB User

I had a meniscus repair 4 months ago and Im still having the same pain and sometimes is even worse. The doc says that is my quad, that i have to gain strenght. So well. that is what Im doing. Am also having an appointment with the Chargers Doc, so he can give me some thoughts about it. I really dont think that is normal to keep having pain. SOmetime you could be doing a good PT but it will just dont work. Ive been reading also that some poeple sayd that in a matter of a couple weeks, the pain desappears. wel.,, i doubt it. I think it takes months from 7-12 aprox. Ill see this "Super" Doc. and Ill let you know guys whats going on. I played college soccer in Peru. And right after i moved here, i got this injury and everything changed.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It can take a long time to heal after meniscus repair, but if there's been no progress after 4 months, it's definitely time to look for more answers. Maybe the repair didn't "take," or maybe your pain is coming from something else.

Hang in there!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
(male)

Hagencito HB User

Yeap, thats true. That is why im going for a second opinion. I hope everything goes better. Now my knee clickss, so weird, i didnt have that problem before the surgery.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
(male)

Cyrus500 HB User

I thought I should share my experience of meniscus repair as it may provide comfort to those frustrated by slow recovery:

1) Do not believe your consultant prediction of a rapid recovery unless you are a very fit and active sports person. Speaking as an overweight middle aged person, it was never going to be.

2) Follow you physiotherapist advice. Do the exercises. Do the exercises. Do the exercises - clear enough ?

3) Even though I remained in discomfort for many weeks after the operation, my knee gradually improved so that six months post-op I only have occasional twinges. Do not think it will not improve ever.

4) Learn to live with the occasional twinges.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagencito View Post
You are completely right! MRI misses alot ! Is not accurate unless is a big problem. Mri misses meniscus tears.
The knee diagnosis depends on the history you give and the physical examination. The MRI may show the problem or not. Of course it can show something which is not the problem. 95% of MRIs should never be done. Unfortunately the MRI is usually the reason something is done. That is why places where there are no MRIs have the best results.
James

Old 03-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I'm not sure what a "chargers dr." is but wish you well with that. I can honestly tell you that I have had 17 bilateral knee surgeries (on both knees) several of them were meniscus repairs and it took no where from 7 to 12 months for them to get better, that's a bit of an over exagertation. Make sure you are doing your PT, at home as well as at the PT's office. Make sure you are using your knee and up and about during the day, the more inactive you are the more you easier it will be for your knee to be stff and sore and not want to heal correctly. Use advil to keep the swelling down but try not to be on the narcotics this far off your surgery date, heat and cold work wonders. Daily excercise will work wonders for your knee and help keep the pain at bay.

kat

Closed Thread