It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

Molly46 HB User
Knee pain

A few years ago, I fell while walking my dog & landed on both knees. The right knee was swollen, but seemed to get better on it's own. But now my left knee is bothering me. I can't get down on both knees anymore, they hurt if I do. If I even touch my knee's, it hurts. The past few weeks, ive noticed that my left knee is painful if I bend it at all. Doesn't seem to be a problem if im walking or just standing, but I do have pain going up & down stairs, if I don't hold onto a railing or step wrong. I also have to be careful bending over to pick up anything on the floor, or even take clothes out of the drier. Is this something I should see a Dr. for? Since I don't seem to have a problem just walking or standing, wasn't sure if it was serious enough to see a Dr. Ive lost 80lbs through gastric bypass surgery 3 yrs ago & my knees hurt more now, than they did before surgery!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Knee pain

You may have damaged the knees when you fell four years ago. It is possible that there is no cartlidge loss. You should see an ortho

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

Molly46 HB User

Do you mean there IS the possiblity of cartilige loss? The pain ive had the last few months is really unusual. If I touch my left knee, it just feels like it's on fire. I will go see an Ortho Dr..thanks for your input!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

OOPS I did mean possiblity of cartilige loss

Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Good plan. An x-ray and possibly an MRI can show exactly what's going on in there. In the meanwhile, ice your knees for 20 minutes a few times a day, and try to avoid activities that make the pain worse.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
(female)

Molly46 HB User

Thank you Roxy & Jane!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly46 View Post
A few years ago, I fell while walking my dog & landed on both knees. The right knee was swollen, but seemed to get better on it's own. But now my left knee is bothering me. I can't get down on both knees anymore, they hurt if I do. If I even touch my knee's, it hurts. The past few weeks, ive noticed that my left knee is painful if I bend it at all. Doesn't seem to be a problem if im walking or just standing, but I do have pain going up & down stairs, if I don't hold onto a railing or step wrong. I also have to be careful bending over to pick up anything on the floor, or even take clothes out of the drier. Is this something I should see a Dr. for? Since I don't seem to have a problem just walking or standing, wasn't sure if it was serious enough to see a Dr. Ive lost 80lbs through gastric bypass surgery 3 yrs ago & my knees hurt more now, than they did before surgery!
I would definitely see a doctor for an MRI. I had a TKR well over a year ago and still having problems and now the other knee is bothering me. I knew I needed an MRI and so got one and found that there is loose cartilage floating around in that knee. I'll be seeing the Ortho tomorrow and guessing it may need to be scoped, but hoping I'm wrong. I seem to have had to become my own doctor lately because surgeons are a breed all of their own and so I go through my primary care doc to get things moving.
Wishing you good luck, but do see a doctor for an MRI and then you can go from there.

Closed Thread