It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User
Femur not in socket correctly

Has anyone been told their femur is not truly in their socket right despite it looking okay on an MRI? Some of my practitioners feel like that is my situation. I think it then causes my back to go out. About 25 years ago I was hit by a car and that leg was very bruised. I think it started back then. Yet, nothing has ever showed up on the xrays. If you have a condition similar - what symptoms do you have? Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Femur not in socket correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherpatty View Post
Has anyone been told their femur is not truly in their socket right despite it looking okay on an MRI? Some of my practitioners feel like that is my situation. I think it then causes my back to go out. About 25 years ago I was hit by a car and that leg was very bruised. I think it started back then. Yet, nothing has ever showed up on the xrays. If you have a condition similar - what symptoms do you have? Thanks
You would surely know if your hip joint was not properly in the socket. Who were these practitioners? The hip joints have increadibly strong ligaments.
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It is possible you might have some problems with the muscles or connective tissue around the hip, and that could mess with your back, but if the femur were actually not in the socket, that would be pretty obvious on the x-ray.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

I realize the femur is technically in the socket correctly - in an orthopedic manner of speaking. Yet, the ligaments or muscles around it seem to have some impact. When certain licensed practitioners (keeping confidential) turn my leg a certain way and sort of gently push it a certain way and sort of "hold" it in place better it feels SO much better. If I just turn my foot to the side it is enough to set me back for months. Then all of a sudden I get sciatica, lumbar, foot and back pain - it all starts in the way that leg is rotated. It feels so much more supported and stronger when the pracititioners "hold it" in there like I had mentioned. I doubt I'd ever get an orthopedic to understand what I'm talking about. I hope this makes sense for what you were asking. Thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherpatty View Post
I realize the femur is technically in the socket correctly - in an orthopedic manner of speaking. Yet, the ligaments or muscles around it seem to have some impact. When certain licensed practitioners (keeping confidential) turn my leg a certain way and sort of gently push it a certain way and sort of "hold" it in place better it feels SO much better. If I just turn my foot to the side it is enough to set me back for months. Then all of a sudden I get sciatica, lumbar, foot and back pain - it all starts in the way that leg is rotated. It feels so much more supported and stronger when the pracititioners "hold it" in there like I had mentioned. I doubt I'd ever get an orthopedic to understand what I'm talking about. I hope this makes sense for what you were asking. Thanks
An orthopedist would understand perfectly I would think, why not.
Now most hip and buttock pains arise from the lumber spine. Therefore a patient with these symptoms should be "scanned" at least from the lower thoracic spine to the thigh. Scan means a relatively quick look all round so to look for some indication of the problem i.e. lumbar, SI joints, muscles, movements, see which ones cause the grief. Then you can hone in on the part which is most likely the culprit. Say we decide the hip, then it is the capsule or it is something else, rarely it can be two entities.
The capsule tighness gives an easy pattern to recognise. If not this then test for muscles, bursae,mucles and tendons. Treatment progress from the exam. My worry about your condition is the fact that you are having severe pain on a certain movement. It could be a stretch or compression. I would see a PT if you have not done so and if so consult an orthopedist. Keep us in touch.
James

Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james079 View Post
An orthopedist would understand perfectly I would think, why not.
Now most hip and buttock pains arise from the lumber spine. Therefore a patient with these symptoms should be "scanned" at least from the lower thoracic spine to the thigh. Scan means a relatively quick look all round so to look for some indication of the problem i.e. lumbar, SI joints, muscles, movements, see which ones cause the grief. Then you can hone in on the part which is most likely the culprit. Say we decide the hip, then it is the capsule or it is something else, rarely it can be two entities.
The capsule tighness gives an easy pattern to recognise. If not this then test for muscles, bursae,mucles and tendons. Treatment progress from the exam. My worry about your condition is the fact that you are having severe pain on a certain movement. It could be a stretch or compression. I would see a PT if you have not done so and if so consult an orthopedist. Keep us in touch.
James

Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
(female)

Hi,
Thanks for you time and guidance. I actually have had these symptoms for 20 years. It still has not been figured out but I feel certain it begins in the hip. It all makes sense since many years ago I was hit by a car as a pedestrian and that left leg was bruised and took the hit. I think it all started there although no one can prove it. I've had tons of scans, seen numerous practitioners - some say it's the hip -all say that all my muscles are tight and I'm inflexible compared to most my age (50's) - so I'm still searching for an answer - someday I'll find it!
Thanks again

Closed Thread