It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
(female)

sanchezmay HB User
Question T Knee Replacement & weak quads

Has anyone with weak quad muscles ever had a total knee replacement?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: T Knee Replacement & weak quads

I would think everyone who is contemplating a total knee has weak quads. Where range of movement is lost the muscles moveing that joint become weaker and loose bulk.
James

Last edited by mod85; 10-13-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I agree. I think it's just about everyone. Advanced knee arthritis causes difficulty moving the knee.

You'll have to work afterward to build them back up, but that's a solvable problem.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
(female)

pinktopaz HB User

I have had a knee replacement 2 years ago and still walk with a limp due to weak quads and hamstrings. Hamstrings are just as important to maintain. Unfortunately, my quads weakened as I was waiting quite a while for my knee replacement. In reflection I should have had physio or at least done quad and hamstring exercises before my replacement although I could hardly walk because it had been so hard to regain the strength I had in this muscle. My advice do quad and hamstring exercises before even sitting in a chair.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
(female)

MommmieD HB User

I am unsure if the posts above really address the question of the original poster who might be asking about unusually weak quad strength. I had my right Tkr 11/2/10 and my left TKR at the end of June of this year. My quad six months after surgery was so weak I had no ability to step up two inches off the floor without my knee collapsing. My right knee continues to be extremely weak although I have exercised and exercised and PT has focused on that knee even after my second knee was replaced. My PT continues to say he he is absolutely puzzled with the very slow improvement in quad strength in spite of all the exercise and therapy over the past year. He has recently started giving me Russian electrical therapy and the strengthening is finally
happening. I have two weeks of PT left and have now been
prescribed a portable unit to give myself Russian electrical therapy at home to hopefully continue the progress.

Last edited by MommmieD; 10-13-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Closed Thread