It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
(female)

bgrace HB User
6 weeks post knee replacment/ swelling ??

Can somone please tell me if it is normal to have swelling of the foot and ankle after a knee replacement?

I had a replacement in March on a R knee and never had any swelling.

On April 18th I had a knee replacement to the Left knee.

I am very worried. I spoke to my surgeon and family doctor who both say that it is normal to have swelling and it can occur for many months post surgery.(even up to 6 months!)

My L knee is also swollen which increases with activity and becomes uncomfortable.

All swelling is relieved by rest and ice, but yickes, I have to return to work within another few weeks.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
(male)

Jumpbigr HB User
Re: 6 weeks post knee replacment/ swelling ??

If you have swelling from the knee to the ankle you need to make sure that you do not have cellulitis. To be swollen that much still from March is not the norm. I know PT is hard but it is important that you keep doing it. But the most important thing is that if your calf and ankle look like they are just stretched out from swelling go to the doctor and ask him if it could be a cellulitis. He might aspirate your knee which he takes out fluid and does cultures on it to see if you have anything cooking in there. Be careful about wrapping as sometimes it can be your worst enemy. Let me know what happens

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
(female)

bgrace HB User

Thanks for your support. I appreciate your advice and as I looked up your response I found many other complaints about swelling from "Connie". It seems as if this is a common problem. Since May 24, all the swelling of the leg and foot is gone. I continue to have swelling in my knee that varies by activity. I can relate to Connie as it feels as if the knee is just alittle big for the space and causing irritation. Still, I push myself with exercise, 5 miles on the exercise bike and all the prescribed PT exercises. My doctor responded the same way when I saw him 2 wks post op, "The swelling is normal". I felt like I was just being brushed off. I am massaging my knee with cocoa butter and that seems to help. I read in the post that revisions are common , yicks! That must be scary to have to go through that a second time! Well, I will post my progress once I am back to work, which is next Monday 6/6. Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by bgrace; 06-02-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Are you keeping ice on your knee or using your cryrocuff you came home from the hospital with? That will really help keep the swelling down. Any time your sittting or lieing down elevate and ice your knee.

kat

Old 06-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

bgrace, I wouldn't be too worried about the swelling. My right knee swelled for months after surgery, my doc told me the same thing "It's normal", from time to time I still get some swelling in both calfs and I'm over a year on the right and almost a year on the left. My best advise is to keep doing what your Doc and PT tell you to, don't overdo and be consistant. I'm sure you have heard it takes a full year to completely heal. I think that's true, as a matter of fact, at 11 months on my left knee I still have quite a bit of numbness. I'm not worried about it though. I figure it's the end of the healing process
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Closed Thread