It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
(male)

moriley HB User
A Question For All Who Have Undergone Hip Replacement

Because of a foolish accident, I had to get my right hip replaced. That was October of '08. While some alarming side effects eventually disipated, i.e. profound stiffness, there remains occasional pain, stiffiness, and a gnarly feeling where the artificial hip is. Will this ever go away? I also find walking to be a conscious effort. Any input would be most appreciated.

God Bless,

Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: A Question For All Who Have Undergone Hip Replacement

I don't have any pain in my operated hip but occasionally I do have an awareness of it. Mostly when I am rolling over in bed. So, I'd say some awareness is normal--I'm just coming up on my three year anniversary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
(male)

Squaretop HB User

I'm just past one and a half years since my replacement. No pain. Had virtually no pain since the operation. But it does still feel different than my non-operated hip. I would describe it as feeling full as if I had a baseball in my pocket. Some slight stiffness. Feels the best when I'm riding my bike. I'm also able to run a little which I enjoy the most. I've talked to one fellow that had his done over five years ago and he says his still feels different, but no pain. And I think that is what we are all after.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

My husband has had 5 replacements and his 6th is in a few months. THe first set lasted for 17 years. He would say at times he had an awareness of the rod down the thigh. He never did quite walk the same. The second set he complained from the beginning. Dr would take xrays and say they were fine. For 3 years he was in regular pain. He finally switched to another surgeon and the reason he was in such pain was because the cup lining had broken down into the tissue and he had an autoimmune reaction destroying his own hip bones. He had the first one redone. Extensive surgery cleaning up the tissue and lots of screws, but the bone is filling in and he is already back on the golf course. He now is looking forward (well not really) but wants to get the other side done

Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I don't notice anything being different in either of my hips. I do have a little soreness on my inner thigh sometimes when I rub cream onto my legs.
Sometimes when I think about it I think it is amazing that I have two hip replacements and they work so well. Mine I have had done in the last three years.
Hope you feel better..

Closed Thread