It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

roxyrose08 HB User
Pain bhind the knee

I have had pain behind my knee for 3 or 4 months. Had an MRI that showed arthritis but nothing else. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
(male)

paulmess HB User
Re: Pain bhind the knee

Hi-

Knee pain is very common and if you had an MRI showing no tear, then it may be another set of muscles that is tugging on the knee joint and causing pain. One great way to help relieve pressure off the knee is foam rolling. You can get them at almost any kind of fitness store or online. I recommend foam rolling your Glute Medius and IT Band to start. You can go online and type these muscles in to find exactly where they are on the body. Foam rolling these two areas can be very helpful for knee pain. As you foam roll, you will find it painful where the old knots and adhesions are on the muscle. Go gently at first and roll over these knots until you feel them starting to get worked out. Then, you can add more pressure as time goes on. Best of luck!

Paul

The Following User Says Thank You to paulmess For This Useful Post:
roxyrose08 (06-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrose08 View Post
I have had pain behind my knee for 3 or 4 months. Had an MRI that showed arthritis but nothing else. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Not an uncommon problem at all but:
Is your pain continuous or only on movement. Can you make the pain worse, if the pain is present can you do anything to ease it. Do you have full ranges. Does it waken you in the night. Does your knee feel warmer than the other. Does it grate or grind, snap or pop. Any fluid in the joint. Are your legs straight and are your leg muscles strong. Have you had pain in your mid to low back recently. How did the pain begin, was there ever an accident. Can you run inspite of the pain. Has medication, especially anti inflammatory meds helped. Have you had any therapy yet. And, anything else you can add that would be helpfull.
James

Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
(female)

roxyrose08 HB User

Thanks for the reply James. Wow, lots of questions. The pain is pretty much on movement, however if I do a lot it will hurt (achy) while resting and on busy days it sometimes does wake me up at night. I can make it worse by rising from a chair (that's the worst) and it gets worse if I stand or walk a lot. My range is not bad but it is worse if I bend the knee after standing or straignten it out after sitting. Legs are straight and strong, I have walked for exersise most of my life. I sometimes hear a snap/pop when standing but I'm not sure if it's comming from the front of the knee or the back where it hurts. The pain is just under the back of my knee towards the out side of my leg. There was an accident in January. I heard a pop while climbing stairs and felt incredible pain. I couldn't walk back down the stairs without help but the pain went away in a day or two. In March I got the present pain and it has hurt every day since. Can't run at all and can't walk as fast as before.
I am taking Celebrex now for the last week or so and I would say the pain is about 50% better with the anti-inflammatory. I have stomach issues with this sort of drug so I am afraid to take it long term. When I first went to the doctor he gave me an injection in the knee for arthritis, that did nothing for the pain so I went back and he gave me a shot in the hanstring and that didn't help either, so I'm really at a loss as to what to do next. Oh, and I did have two days of PT when the doc thought it was knee arthritis but that just made it worse.
Any ideas? Anyway thanks for hte interest.
Almost forgot, No redness or swelling.

Last edited by roxyrose08; 06-24-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: more to say

Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrose08 View Post
Thanks for the reply James. Wow, lots of questions. The pain is pretty much on movement, however if I do a lot it will hurt (achy) while resting and on busy days it sometimes does wake me up at night. I can make it worse by rising from a chair (that's the worst) and it gets worse if I stand or walk a lot. My range is not bad but it is worse if I bend the knee after standing or straignten it out after sitting. Legs are straight and strong, I have walked for exersise most of my life. I sometimes hear a snap/pop when standing but I'm not sure if it's comming from the front of the knee or the back where it hurts. The pain is just under the back of my knee towards the out side of my leg. There was an accident in January. I heard a pop while climbing stairs and felt incredible pain. I couldn't walk back down the stairs without help but the pain went away in a day or two. In March I got the present pain and it has hurt every day since. Can't run at all and can't walk as fast as before.
I am taking Celebrex now for the last week or so and I would say the pain is about 50% better with the anti-inflammatory. I have stomach issues with this sort of drug so I am afraid to take it long term. When I first went to the doctor he gave me an injection in the knee for arthritis, that did nothing for the pain so I went back and he gave me a shot in the hanstring and that didn't help either, so I'm really at a loss as to what to do next. Oh, and I did have two days of PT when the doc thought it was knee arthritis but that just made it worse.
Any ideas? Anyway thanks for hte interest.
Almost forgot, No redness or swelling.
lots of questions but elucidating answers!
Posterolateral corner damage and pain in a knee as you described, on it's own, is very rare. It is usually caused by the result of force to a straight knee where it is hyperextended and slightly rotated. Without even knowing what happenes the severe pain suddenly comes. As well as the condition being rare it is even rarer to get it without being in a sporting accident, but what you described could easily cause it. What tears in that corner of the knee are, the posterior capsule, the lateral ligament, hamstring, the popliteal tendon, and the popliteofibular ligament. I would put my money on the latter and the popliteus tendon.
The main drag to a person with this condition is the inability to run and fast walk as you so well describe. Secondly it is usually difficult to move quickly up a set of stairs.
You should really see an orthopaedic doc and have an MRI, if you have read some of my other poats you may have noticed my aversion to every condition getting an MRI but I think in such a complex area it is called for. The anatomical names above can be googled and so explained.
Keep us in touch, these knee conditions are very rare and interesting.
James

Old 06-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
(female)

deanna57 HB User

I also had pain behind the knee.....It turned out to be a Gangoloin cyst.....no surgery for that. But...the MRI should have seen it ...if you have it......does the back of your knee a little swollen?

Closed Thread