It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Canes - weight capacity?

I need to buy a new cane for my Aunt. I can do it on the internet and search whereas she would have to just go to the local drug store and buy. She actually wants a pretty one this time and I had no idea all of the designs. Well, the one she wants has butterflies on it. It is pretty. But the weight capacity is 250 pounds and I put her on my scales and she topped out at 261. And it seems to get into anything with a higher capacity is plain and much heavier to carry. A cane that has a 300 pound capacity is twice as heavy.

So I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know how this weight capacity thing works? She has had two knee replacements but they are 15 years old and she's now just shy of 70 so she moved back to using a cane about 6 months ago. She uses it more for stability and security, than actually putting her whole weight on the cane at any time.

So I don't know what they mean when they define weigh capacity. I mean no one who weighs 250 or 300 or whatever would ever put their entire weight on the case. Seems very subjective depending on the individual.

Just wondering if anyone who's slightly over a weight capacity has used a cane that technically not meant for their weight. I called one company and they said she could not use the 250 capacity but I expected that. Who asks for a lawsuit?

I'm tempted to get her both and tell her she needs to use the more sturdy one out of the house but can use the butterfly one when she's just in her own condo moving from the living room to the kitchen. And then put her on a diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Canes - weight capacity?

I can't believe that an ordinary cane would be limited to a few hundred pounds. The pressure down the shaft of a piece of wood must support a thousand pounds or more. I have never ever heard of a cane breaking through normal use no matter how heavy the person was. I would suggest she get herself an elbow crutch, the top part around the humerus will enable her to let go of the handpiece when she has to without loseing control. Butterflies can be bought as stickons at the dollar store !
James

Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User
Re: Canes - weight capacity?

I know too little to really give good advice. I have used crutches three times when I had severe back pain and barely could walk due to the pain sending me to the ground so them helped much better than any cane could have done. And I have a long experience of Rollator/Walkers but not much on cane usage.

I have a cane and tried to use it but it was not for me.

But for your aunt. Would it not be a good thing to use the newest modern way to walk with a cane.

Them have now canes with four small wheels like roller scates or kickboard wheels. That kind of cane makes for a more smooth walking and more stable unless the surface is very rough with gravel stones and such uneven roads in the country. But in cities with sidewalks the rolling cane seems like a good way to walk?

But I have not tried them myself we don't have them where I live but use search engines on the net and look at video clips?

It looks smarter. Maybe expensive but if it is worth the quality of life gained then why not?

While I am at it. In England them have a kind of Shopping Aid that is a cane with two rather big wheels 7" maybe instead of the very small wheels on the four wheeled I talked about above.

The good thing about it is that it is small like a cane but allow one to buy things and hang on the cane and wheel the burden home and get stability due to the cane being there as a contact with the ground. Less expensive too.

Last edited by KneeProblemGuy; 06-20-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Closed Thread