It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
(male)

derek9and21 HB User
Question What can I expect after this knee surgery?

I had part of my patella (knee cap) removed on April 6,2011, due to a fall on March 6,2011 where I fell while walking in the LA Marathon. I started physical therapy on May 31,2011. I am still in so much pain. Is this normal. At times my knee seem to be bending ok. Meaning last day of therapy I measured 62. Then maybe a few hours later, or the next day it feels totally stiff again. Is this normal. I have been taking a generic for vicodin pain medication. My doctor and pharmacist say I'm taking too many. I am out right now and have been for the last 3 days. I am in a lot of pain now.what do I have to look forward to? How long will it be before I won't be in so much pain. Is there anything I can do to help myself? Please advise.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-19-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: What can I expect after this knee surgery?

Unfortunately, yes, it can take a long time to recover from something like this. And range of motion can come and go with the swelling. You should be icing several times a day, and you probably want to be doing your range of motion exercises a few times a day also.

I hurt my knee back at the end of January, and it hurt plenty! But don't take more Vicodin than your doctor prescribes. You can take ibprofen or Alleve, again, don't take more than is on the package. Also, icing and elevating is very important, and it will reduce the pain. If icing doesn't seem to work, I found that heat immediately followed by ice helped a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
derek9and21 (06-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek9and21 View Post
I had part of my patella (knee cap) removed on April 6,2011, due to a fall on March 6,2011 where I fell while walking in the LA Marathon. I started physical therapy on May 31,2011. I am still in so much pain. Is this normal. At times my knee seem to be bending ok. Meaning last day of therapy I measured 62. Then maybe a few hours later, or the next day it feels totally stiff again. Is this normal. I have been taking a generic for vicodin pain medication. My doctor and pharmacist say I'm taking too many. I am out right now and have been for the last 3 days. I am in a lot of pain now.what do I have to look forward to? How long will it be before I won't be in so much pain. Is there anything I can do to help myself? Please advise.
In my opinion you should still be taking some pain meds. After more than a year and a half I still do, but not much. You will not become addicted unless you find that you are wanting more and more. I've spoken to both my doc and the pharmatist about this and that is what I've been told. I take way less than what is prescribed on the bottle, but if it helps take the edge off why not? I know some would not agree, but since I have spoken to both of these experts I have no qualms about taking something. You have some time to go unless you are one of the lucky ones that get over this nasty surgery in a few months as some do. And then there are those like me.

The Following User Says Thank You to barb70 For This Useful Post:
derek9and21 (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
(male)

derek9and21 HB User

Thank u for this reply. It is most helpful. I was at my doctors this morning. He won't give me anything but motrin 600mg. We talked about manipulating my knee if I am not better in the next month. I think I will give it only two more weeks. If I am not getting alot better, with pt, I want to just get it over with. What do you think. Have you heard of manipulation.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
(male)

derek9and21 HB User

Thank.s for your reply. At my doctor.s appt this morning he gave me 600 mg of motrin only. He said for me to not to ""baby" my knee. He gives me 1 more month of pt and if I am not much better, he will manipulate it. I plan to really give this the best that I've got. To really exercise harder than ever, to push my self to my limit for the next two weeks only. After that, if I am not a lot better, I would like the manipulation then. I don't feel it would help to wait a whole month. What do you think. Have u heard of manipulication.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Manipulation means he will make your knee move farther while you are under anesthetic. This is a way of breaking up scar tissue and adhesions and restoring range of motion.

It is important to work hard in PT, and do all your "homework." If your PT hasn't given you homework, ask.

However, if you really feel that your therapy is pushing too hard and making things worse, speak up. Discomfort is normal, serious worsening of your pain is not.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
derek9and21 (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
(male)

derek9and21 HB User

Thank u so much. I am doing Homework, but my plan starting today is to step up my game even more. I am about to go walk in my pool in the next ten minutes. My range of motion, in pt this morning, was 62. If I have not greatly improved in two weeks I think I should ask my doctor to manipulate it. My pain is bearable. I don't mind this discomfort I'm having, I expect it. I am thinking, why prolong the pain and the healing process if manipulation will get me there faster. Will I wake up in a lot of pain after manipulation? How long will it lasts, days, weeks? After manipulation will I be bending continually, close to 100% at that point?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User

what is manipulation?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
(male)

derek9and21 HB User

My doctor will put me to sleep and bend my knee. I don't know how much this will help. or if I might stiffen up again. I don't know how painful this could be. I am afraid of it really, but I don't know what else to do.

Closed Thread