It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
(male)

NICAfiend HB User
bone bruise (knee)

I injured my knee about 7 weeks ago rock climbing in the mountains. It wasn't physically hit but rather injured by a "torquing" motion when losing my grip and slipping. I knew I injured it somehow but had to hike out the following 2 days. The pain actually wasn't that bad and really only hurt alot on down hill sections or steps. After returning home I figured I had just sprained it and would push through the moderate pain. Well.....after about 7 days of doing much more then I should have it started to swell and hurt much more. The pain and swelling is on the inner side of my right knee and I started to notice a click with movement. I went to the ortho. and had a MRI done, when the results came back he said it was good news and only a bone bruise that should take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks to heal. I've been following all his instructions......staying off it, taking vitamins and only started swimming and light bike riding when the swelling went down and when I regained a little mobility. Still something just doesn't seem right. My questions are:
- Can a click in your knee be related to a bone bruise?
- Can you re-aggravate a healing (2 months) bone bruise and make matters worse? Pain has been my guide. It was a 9 on the hardcore pain meter and now I'd say it's a good 5. Aching, stiffness, weakness and clicking are still my symptoms.

Anybody out there gone through, going through or famialiar with this debilitating little injury????? Somebody encourage me please!

Last edited by NICAfiend; 06-29-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
(female)

ikkin21 HB User
Re: bone bruise (knee)

I've been dx with a moderate to severe bone bruise as well. All 3 bones of my knee have some degree of bone bruising. I haven't gotten to the walking without crutches successfully stage yet, but when I do my stretching and manual movement of my knee I feel some catching and popping in my knee. I'm just a little over 2 weeks out from my injury.

I hope this helped a tiny bit, and I hope your injury heals quickly.

Nikki

Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
(male)

NICAfiend HB User
Re: bone bruise (knee)

One thing about injuries and message board threads is in most instances you never get to hear about how the injury played itself out so I'll try and keep this updated as my knee heals. After researching my tail off bone bruises seem to be a bit of a mystery. This is about four weeks after my initial post and about 12 weeks post injury. I really struggled for about the first 8 weeks but I'm lucky and work from home so I REALLY got to stay off it and let the healing process begin. I can't stress how important this stage of your recovery is. I'm a surfer and a very active athlete and this is and was the hardest thing for me to accept. I screwed up the first few weeks and I'm positive I made things worse. The next very important stage of my recovery after the first 6 to 8 weeks of resting and healing has been light but steady exercise to build my leg and knee strength back up. I live at the beach so I've been lucky to have not only stress free (knee) paved and even ground places to bike ride but also a great place to swim for my upper and lower body. Bike riding has made all the difference in the world!!!!!!!! It's really built my knee strength back up and given me some confidence along the way, I was really worried! I started out biking about 2 miles every other day and have worked up to about 4 to 6 miles daily. My knee never hurts while biking and I could really go further but I'm trying to stick to my routine. I don't have any type of special bike just a beach cruiser so ride whatever you have or can afford. I've been pushing myself even more lately and went surfing a few times. The first time I didn't ice my knee afterwards and it swoll up a bit so I waited about a week, surfed again (yesterday), then iced it afterwards and today I feel pretty good. I have figured out that swelling in my knee coincides with the clicking and the clicking itself is becoming less common everyday. My symptoms now though not daily would be weakness, stiffness and slight pain. I would say my knee is about 75% now.

Closed Thread