It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #16
(female)

knockneez HB User
Re: Synvisc injections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlan View Post
yeah, its the strangest darn thing. I will be walking and my knee will just give out and I look crazy because I'm in retail and customers will look at me wierd. Wonder if anyone knows why it does that???
I in no way mean to make fun here, but when I read this, I just get this picture in my head now of you asking a customer to "Walk this way," then your knee giving out and everyone following you in suit a la the Three Stooges or the Marx Bros.

Have you called your doctor's office to see if that's a side effect of the one injection? Woudn't hurt to ask.

"Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional."
— Roger Crawford

Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
(female)

Azlan HB User

its definitly not a miracle cure. I still dont have alot of flexibility but when I walk down hill, I can actually do it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #18
(female)

Azlan HB User

LOL!! I love your sense of humor! thats awesome.....The guys at work with me all tease me and make me laugh. Lifes too short not to laugh at yourself. ty for making me laugh...hehehe

Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlan View Post
I am hoping they will work for me. What I did notice however, is that since I had the injection, my knee gives out on me alot more. Isnt that odd? I will be walking or standing and it will just give out. Havent fallen yet from it. Is that normal?

I have had three Synvisc injections.
My Ortho recommended three injections (One each week for three consecutive weeks). The first two went very smoothly and I the only pain I experienced was directly following the injections and icing it seemed to relieve the temporary pain). However, I have had much more pain following the third injection and I have noticed more weakness and I have noticed my knee giving out - especially going upstairs which is quite scary. I think at this point we need to contact our respective Orthos to find out if what we're experiencing is normal or not.

I hope things start to improve for you.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
(female)

Azlan HB User

thank you for responding. I am glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this. Although I dont wish it on you or anyone. If it keeps up, I may contact him. Its so strange, just gives out on me at the oddest times....

Old 08-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
(female)

kattysmom HB User

Hi, I was wondering if you've had any relief as of yet. I went for my 1st gel inj on Tues, not only was I in pain and still really can't walk on my leg but I'm still having severe pain. 5 days in and I should feel a little relief by now, no? My 2nd inj (I'm getting a series of 3 total) is for this Tues coming up. I am not only petrified cause you know how it felt, but I'm so scared it's not gonna work for me. I shouldn't still be in this much pain. I am trying anything to put off a TKR.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #22
(female)

Azlan HB User

Hi there, I can honestly say, its been about a month now since I had my injection, I notice a little difference when I walk downhill, so thats good. It has helped in that respect, but as far as the toothache that I have in my knees and lower legs, it just hasnt helped. Give it a little more time. These things can take a good month to fully kick in. If your still in bad pain after that, I'd say your going to have to do a TKR. I live with constant aching and discomfort. Its incredibly annoying, but I dont think I have the kind of pain you do. Please let me know how your doing.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I had to put PT on hold until I felt some level of the pain subsiding and more consistent knee strength. I have been doing my own knee strengthening exercises at home and using my TENS unit every night. It is feeling better and a bit stronger, I can't say the pain reduction is where I would have hoped it would be. But, at least I am feeling like I can at least resume PT and will be starting again tomorrow. I will provide an update with how it it goes.

It just gets discouraging! I am trying so hard to avoid surgery. So, I will just keep plugging along!

~ Fiona Jo

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 08-09-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #24
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User

I have a TENS unit too. I think it helps some and I put ice packs on top of the unit and do both at the same time. I am 53 and I am putting off TKR too. with PT, injections, etc.

What gave you your relief to be able to go back to PT???

Have you had injections? arthroscopic surgery ????

How old are you?

needing some encouragement.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #25
(female)

33kat HB User33kat HB User

nana b, sounds like you are having a rough time of it - I'm so sorry!

I just found out, that we still don't know whether my insurance is going to cover the injections for me.... They said they make the decision on a case by case basis. Meaning, that I have to decide to do it or not regardless of the insurance. If I do, they will bill and only then will we know whether or not it is going to be covered! If it is covered, I won't know until they process it what my out of pocket is and if they don't, it all falls to me. How frickin' absurd is that?!

The doctor's office did have another method to try - ordering the drug through a specialized pharmacy and going through my prescription benefits. They should know immediately one way or another if it is covered and what my costs will be. Talk about jumping through hoops!

In the meantime, the supplements and/or the acupuncture seems to have helped with the sharp pains. I haven't had any spells that have left me shaky and nauseous and that is good! But I am still dealing with an almost constant level of pain ranging from a low 2 to a high 4, enough to leave me having difficulty sleeping some nights and in tears because I just can't get a break. I think that is probably the hardest part for me, the mental struggle, just how draining it all is. Not to mention thinking over every little thing; anticipating every step and analyzing every activity. Ugh! OK, done with the pity party now!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #26
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

In my case the injection was through prescription benefits and I paid the doctor's copay. I had the 5 injection sequence so $50 per injection for prescription fee and $40 per injection doctor's fee )C5 since I had the 5 shot version). They obtained health insurance approval and prescription approval before I had the injections. There was no way I'd go into it without pre approval unless truly able to pay the amount in full.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #27
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
There was no way I'd go into it without pre approval unless truly able to pay the amount in full.
No kidding! Isn't this what we have insurance for? Argh!

Hopefully I will get some definitive info soon through the pharmacy, but if not I have one last avenue to pursue. My husband's company, who the insurance is through, provides a health advocate to help in this sort of situation. After that, I don't know what I will do. I guess nothing but continue as I am. I don't think there is anything else I can do.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #28
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I did have one orthopedic knee surgeon I saw who said he couldn't get Synvisc approved. I changed knee doctors (his preactice was Sports Med based and my problems were way beyond that) and relayed to the new doc that it wasn't approved. The new doc said he nearly always wins when requested coverage and he did! Ironically I didn't feel like I clicked with that doctor and he would not consider TKR. I found a new knee surgeon, with a great reputation, who is more concerned with function and symptoms than age and since Synvisc didn't work I was a TKR candidate. Thus TKR scheduled 9/28.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #29
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User

I am so sorry for your pain. You sound much worse than I am right now. the 2 cortisone injections (minus the side effects) have calmed down the pain for a temporary time.

My OS said the shots were about $800 - I don't understand why your company will not pay for them if doctor suggests them.

Keep me posted.

Have you found any new sleep positions - sleep is rough on me too. I am a side sleeper so I bend my knees during the night which makes the pain cycle start up.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #30
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana b View Post
Have you found any new sleep positions - sleep is rough on me too. I am a side sleeper so I bend my knees during the night which makes the pain cycle start up.
I usually sleep on my side too. For me though, I think it is being in one position too long that bothers me more and sometimes it hurts to keep it straight and sometimes it is worse if it is bent. What seems to be most comfortable is just slightly bent and rolling almost onto my stomach with the bad knee on top. It's hard to describe, but usually I have my bad leg out in front - I think...

Oh, I almost forgot! I recently bought a neoprene knee wrap that holds an ice pack. It doesn't stay cold long enough to be a problem, so I put it on when I go to bed and take it off sometime during the night. I think it really helps me a lot!

Closed Thread