HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Knee & Hip Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/)
-   -   Synvisc injections (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/860270-synvisc-injections.html)

Azlan 07-21-2011 01:29 PM

Synvisc injections

I received a synvisc injection yesterday in hopes of putting off a Tkr till I'm a little older. Dr. said the studies done on 30 year knee replacements were done on 70 yr olds and up and that I would be far too active at the age of 44 to get more than 15 yrs out of one. So was wondering if anyone has any input on the synvisc injections? Thanks, Azlan

knockneez 07-22-2011 08:18 AM

Re: Synvisc injections

Azlan, I didn't have Synvisc - I had Supartz but I believe they are basically the same sort of thing. I have been getting them for a couple of years, like you, to put off the replacement surgery as long as possible. The shots aren't real fun but they're not too bad. I get a great deal of relief in my right knee and it lasts for about 9 months. I get very little, though some relief in my left knee (which is the one I'm scheduled to have replaced soon) but it never seemed to last beyond a couple of months. My father has had the Synvisc injections - he gets good relief for about 9 months to a year on his.

Azlan 07-22-2011 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=knockneez;4805704]Azlan, I didn't have Synvisc - I had Supartz but I believe they are basically the same sort of thing. I have been getting them for a couple of years, like you, to put off the replacement surgery as long as possible. The shots aren't real fun but they're not too bad. I get a great deal of relief in my right knee and it lasts for about 9 months. I get very little, though some relief in my left knee (which is the one I'm scheduled to have replaced soon) but it never seemed to last beyond a couple of months. My father has had the Synvisc injections - he gets good relief for about 9 months to a year on his.[/QUOTE]

Ty knockneez. I appreciate you answering me. I guess we may have some things in common. My whole issue with my knees are because I am mildly knockneed. :eek: genetic, from my father. Never had an injury of the knee my whole life. Just born this way.. Thanks again...Azlan:)

nana b 07-23-2011 10:31 PM

I have had one of the Synvisc One Injections. I have to admit that it is extremely thick gel that they are putting in your knee (takes a while to get it all in there). It was a very painful shot for me - no reactions though which is good. It took me a while to be able to stand on it to walk out of the doctors office. I expected it to be more like cortisone injections, but it wasn't. As far as the results, I didn't have a long lasting result because my knee is so worn out - lot of arthritis in it and it has been scoped 3x. Whether I will get brave enough to have another one to put off TKR is still left to be seen. right now I am just tired and so tired of knee pain and lack of sleep due to it. good luck with your injection.

Azlan 07-24-2011 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=nana b;4806813]I have had one of the Synvisc One Injections. I have to admit that it is extremely thick gel that they are putting in your knee (takes a while to get it all in there). It was a very painful shot for me - no reactions though which is good. It took me a while to be able to stand on it to walk out of the doctors office. I expected it to be more like cortisone injections, but it wasn't. As far as the results, I didn't have a long lasting result because my knee is so worn out - lot of arthritis in it and it has been scoped 3x. Whether I will get brave enough to have another one to put off TKR is still left to be seen. right now I am just tired and so tired of knee pain and lack of sleep due to it. good luck with your injection.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I agree it was incredibly painful. And I also found when I went to leave that I could not walk. I had no idea and the doctor never told me that would happen. It did wear off after several hours though. I am hoping they will work for me. What I did notice however, is that since I had the injection, my knee gives out on me alot more. Isnt that odd? I will be walking or standing and it will just give out. Havent fallen yet from it. Is that normal?:confused:

33kat 07-24-2011 01:54 PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it does help!

I am presently waiting to see if my insurance is going to cover the synvisc injections and then I will have to psych myself up to actually go in and get it if they do. All I know is that something needs to give. I wouldn't say I am in a lot of pain and I can usually get around as much as I want, but the pain is becoming pretty constant and is affecting my sleep. And I find myself more and more thinking about whether doing something is going to be worth the cost (in pain or lack of sleep). In the meantime I am trying acupuncture and supplements, anything to avoid taking too many drugs - they don't really agree with me.

knockneez 07-25-2011 09:24 AM

So are you guys saying you just get one injection? I had a series of 5 (a week apart each). I could walk after them and didn't find them incredibly painful - uncomfortable and a bit painful, slightly worse than cortisone which just burns a bit. Walking afterwards was never painful - just felt really weird. But I think if they tried to put all 5 weeks worth in one shot, it would hurt a lot worse.

My doc also said I would probably only get 10-15 years out of my knees. But that's 10-15 years of living that would otherwise be severly compromised. I'd rather have the mobility and get rid of the pain now while I'm younger than be hobbled for the next - what? - 20 years, waiting until I'm "old enough"? I've had arthritis for over 25 years now. It has only been recently that the disease has really compromised my ability to be active and started impacting my sleep regularly. I've lived with pain and discomfort to varying degrees for a long time. Enough is enough.

Azlan 07-25-2011 12:32 PM

yes, when I went last tuesday the doctor told me its done in one shot now. I was relieved to hear that. It was very painful while he was doing it and after he was done it still hurt the same for about 5 more minutes. Walking was not possible. Couldnt get off the bed. But it subsided fairly quick. was hobbling for about an hour then pretty much normal.

knockneez 07-25-2011 12:47 PM

Whoa! I don't know - I think I prefer the 5 shots. It doesn't hurt that bad and I can walk afterwards. I never had the issue of it giving out from under me either.

I hope this works well for you!

Azlan 07-25-2011 03:01 PM

yeah, its the strangest darn thing. I will be walking and my knee will just give out and I look crazy because I'm in retail and customers will look at me wierd. Wonder if anyone knows why it does that???

red65 07-25-2011 03:42 PM

I had them in my right knee in 2008. They hurt like blazes going in but were so worth it. Instead of the estimated six months relief mine was closer to a year. I wish I still had insurance as I need it again.

HTH.

SpineAZ 07-25-2011 07:19 PM

Synvisc didn't work for me and I could no longer handle cortisone so at 44 (45 in a week) I found out today TKR is my only option and I'm scheduled for 9/28. I'm totally freaking out but at the same time can't walk well and went through 2 days of being unable to totally straighten my knee so I know I need it.

nana b 07-25-2011 09:14 PM

My OS told me that there are Synvisc-One injections and there is a Synvisc that is more than like 5 injections. So, yes there are more than one type of injections.

SpineAZ 07-25-2011 09:16 PM

When I did it, it was the 5 injection version. Now that there are other versions there is (1) factor of which one the doctor recommends based on his knowledge (2) which one insurance will approve.

Synvisc1 is bound to cost more than the prior 5 shot version so not every insurance would cover it. The injections themselves weren't painful at all. I'd come in, they'd spray my knee with freeze spray and inject the synvisc. No pain during or after. Just the hassle of driving to the doctors office 5 weeks in a row.

33kat 07-25-2011 10:16 PM

My doc wants to do three injections one week apart. The first with cortisone. I'm really glad to hear so many of you has success with it!