It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User
Unhappy Is 54 yrs old too young to have TKR??

my dr says that I am abnout 6mths away from having TKR. Is this too young? from what I understand you only want to have it once, BUT I am alot of pain. Oneknee had torn menisus and that has been fixed even though it still has a pocket of fluid?? I guess on the side of the knee cap. The other knee is the one that had an injury many years ago and now is worn out with worn out cartildge, etc. I don't want to continue living in this pain for years and years. HELP?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
(female)

rosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB User
Re: Is 54 yrs old too young to have TKR??

HI! I am 55 years old and had a TKR seven weeks ago tomorrow. I am in much less pain today then I was before my surgery. I was in pain all the time before the surgery with the same problems as you describe.
So far, I'm very happy with my replacement. It's a lot of work with therapy and at home after the surgery but I feel it's well worth it.
My doctor had told me that time was up, needed the surgery, knee was bone on bone due to arthritis. Just be sure to read the other posts here because there is some very helpful hints on the surgery and what to set up at home afterward, you will need help at home if you are not planning on going to a rehab center. Best wishes to you. So far, I love my new knee.

The following user gives a hug of support to rosebud55:
nana b (07-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
(female)

waldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB User

I was 54 when I had both knees replaced at once (last December). I'm one of those people who is taking longer than average to recover. It's been 7 months and I still deal with major stiffness when standing (from sitting). It takes me several steps to find my balance, so I look really funny for those first few steps.

Would I do it again? Yes -- absolutely. Both my knees were bone-on-bone from osteoarthritis for many years. Even though this is a very long recovery, and I still have daily discomfort, it's nothing like the daily pain I had before surgery. Plus, I know that this pain will lessen over time.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted on your progress.
Take care,
Lynn

Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
(female)

waldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB User

Something else I thought of ... you need to consider your current quality of life and the possibility of reduced pain after TKR. If you wait for 10-20 years to do the replacement, you'll be living with your current pain until then. Just my opinion.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
(female)

I agree with Waldosmom, you need to consider the amount of pain you have now and know that it's not going to get better, it's just not.
Before my surgery I hurt all the time, even when trying to sleep. My knee just ached like a bad tooth ache at night and was so painful to walk on it was awful. Even though the recovery is a lot of work, I am in so much less pain now then prior to surgery. I think everyone's recovery is different as there is a woman in my therapy who had her knee replaced almost five months ago and is still having problems but continues to come to rehab and try. I have been very lucky and I am recovering quickly, doing better and better as time goes by.
It's well worth it I feel. Just do your homework ahead of time, read the posts here as I said before they were very helpful to me prior to surgery. I felt well informed by people who experienced a replacement. Keep us updated. Best wishes to you.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
(female)

I needed to hear that. I go to my orthro dr this thursday and will find out what he thinks needs to be done. I am so tired of the pain. thanks fo ryour advise.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
(female)

Hi! Yes, there comes a point where every step hurts, and that is the point where I was when I told my doctor to go ahead and schedule the surgery.
I have not been sorry so far, I can now walking, slowly but at least without pain. I have another one or two months of therapy and then can return to work, a job that requires that I'm on my feet almost 12 hours a day.
I was in such pain before the surgery I really felt I did not have a choice anymore. wish I would have done it sooner now, I was just scared. I know there are people who have problems with their surgery and the results, but there are also many people who did not have problems. I mean the pain doesn't get better. So do speak with your doctor, have him show you the xray of the knee. And keep me updated on what you decide. I wish you the best.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
(female)

I will keep you posted. thank you for all your information.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
(female)

33kat HB User33kat HB User

I just hope I make it to 54! I'm 48 and my doctor thinks I have 2 to 5 years before I am going to need one. A year ago I would have laughed at that comment, but a year ago I had no idea that my knee was in as bad of shape as it appears to be. Talk about denial, I was the queen! Now I am thinking I will be lucky to make it to five years. I am not liking the way this is progressing, seems too fast for my liking!

Good luck nana b!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
(female)

dinojen HB User

Had my TKR in Oct. 2009 and was doing great.. don't regret doing it for one minute. I didn't find the recovery period that bad and was back to work in 6 weeks. Then again I'm not on my feet at work, I mostly do sedentary work.

Well here we are almost 2 years later and I'm going back in on Aug. 5th for a revision. I read so many posts about many patients not getting their full extension back, well if any of you want some of mine I will be more than happy to share. I have a huge problem of ever extension, so much so I am on crutches or a cane just so I don't fall. The knee is giving out when I walk so I'm going in to see what is going on. I'm not in any pain at all but just have no control of the extension of my replaced knee. There is no pain at all.. just lack of control. Dr. thinks possibly the spacer needs replacing as the xrays don't show any loosening of the implant.. so hopefully that's all it is.. but as he says it's the same routine again.. 3 days in hospital, coumadin, PT, well you get the idea.. Have no clue what happened.. was at work one day and turned to walk out of my office and heard pop and a burning sensation and started walking like a geek... hopefully it's just the spacer.. besides this my TKR was piece of cake.. no complaints at all...

Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
(female)

Hi Dinojen, I sure wish you the best. It's been seven weeks now since I"ve had my surgery and when I went to the doctor a few days ago he did say that over the years things can happen, like loosening of the device, spacer needs replacing, etc, but I had no idea that it would require another total recovery.
I wonder what happened? Keep us posted on how you do and what they found.
So far I love my new knee. Just hope it lasts without any problems but I guess you just never know. Take care, thank goodness you are not in pain.
Best to you.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
(female)

just another question for you - can you tell me a little about the surgery? wake up in lots of pain from the TKR or was it controlled by meds? Any bad reactions from the surgery? how long were you on pain meds? Please tell me how bad is the PT after the surgery. After reading your comments I felt like I could ask you some more questions. I also keep children in my home - it is part of my husband and my income - will I be able to resume that after 4 weeks with a helper????

thanks for all your help.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
(female)

I think I am in denial too. I am scared of the pain and the Pt AND honestly of being out of work for what?? 4 to 6wks.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #14
(female)

Hi Nana, I was in the hospital for three nights. I had a pain pump they call it where I could just push a button every 15 minutes. I thought the hospital did a good job of pain control. My husband took a month off of work, the first two weeks I did take the pain medication every 3-4 hours. After that however, I cut down. When my husband returned to work, I was able to walk with my cane, shower myself, make myself something to eat, etc. I was fine at home alone. How old are the children you are caring for? Would be very difficult to care for babies I would think. However, if you have plenty of help.
The rehab is very important. The first two weeks a therapist came to my house three times a week, then I started outpatient to therapy and still do, three times a week, two hours each time. then the other days I spend an hour doing exercises at home. The only time now I take pain medication is before I go to therapy as they do work me there. The doctor gave me plenty of pain medication. I do recall when I first got home I had problems sleeping because I was in pain and it seemed that no matter what position I tried, it was difficult to rest. That went away however and now I sleep real well.
I was scared as well, but I was also in lots of pain. I could barely walk, every step hurt. Now that is not the case. Actually wish I had done this sooner.
I think the most important thing is to make sure you have help at home, at least for three weeks, unless you plan on going to rehab.
The rehab is a lot of work but I think it's worth it. This is week seven for me and I no longer need a cane, I can walk for about half an hour straight and then I get tired and need to rest. I can drive now and have for the past two weeks.
How many children to you care for and how much help do they need? If they are toddlers it would be difficult as you will not be able to run after them.
You would need help with that for sure.
I have a job that requires I'm on my feet at least 11 hours a day and sometimes 13, so I will not be returning until three months after my surgery.
I have read posts however where people have returned after 6 weeks as they have more of a desk type of job.
Don't be afraid of the rehab or pain, it's just part of the process. I'll tell you this, so far I love my new knee and I'm looking forward to going shopping and doing things I love without all the pain. I was very limited prior to my surgery, in pain all the time, even at night when I was resting. My quality of life is already much better then before the surgery. I'm very happy I had it done. It's a big decision I know. I wish you the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosebud55 For This Useful Post:
knockneez (07-27-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #15
(female)

I just wanted to let you know that I went back to my OS today. He showed me my xrays, the menicus tear in the Left knee and the worn out knee on the right.

I have been going to PT since my arthroscopic surgery on June 2. Dr said that I am not where I should be building muscles and strengthing due to PT not pushing me enough. The exercises ow cause so much pain that I some time have to take my demerol. Today they put in a cortisone shot in each knee. Tonight is awful.

I am very sad that I am doing all I thought I could do - not ready for TKR according to the dr, but tired of pain.

Any advise would be great.

Closed Thread