It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

isitjustme HB User
Unhappy My mother is having alot of issues, but getting better

Hi,

My mother has been having so many issues, God Bless her heart.

Her and I went to Target about 8 months ago to get some shopping done and it was icy well, she fell, straight on both knees and about a week before that her back was just getting better because she had just gotten her last cortisone shot.

Well she told me that her back was fine but about 2 weeks after she fell in the Target parking lot her knees were giving her alot of pain and she never went to the doctor, she had gotten so bad that finally she went to the doctor about 2 months or so ago. She had gotten so bad that she couldn't get out of a chair without someone helping her and she can't even use her hands because she has really bad arthritis in them, so the hands are in so much pain....

So now, she has been going through physical therapy for about 2 months now, this is her last week and she still cannot get out of the chair without using her hands. Her knees have no strength on their own to get her out of the chair.

The therapist is going to give her exercises to do after she gets out of therapy but what if it doesn't work what if all she has done is for nothing.

She has gotten a cortisone shot in both knees twice the swelling has gone down considerably, but she still can't do the things she used to do.

She was told about the Synvisc One and some people said it worked and others said that it didn't work.

She has osteoarthritis, so is she not going to get better.

I get so mad everyday that I see her this way thinking, get up and lets go but she can't and I guess that makes me sad.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what she can do.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: My mother is having alot of issues, but getting better

Basically, she has two choices. She can continue to try to strengthen the muscles, which will require a lot of work on her part, or she can see an orthopedic surgeon about surgical options. And then build up the muscles after surgery. Or she can try the Synvisc, it does seem to help some people.

In the meantime, putting a firm cushion in her chair can at least make it a little easier for her to get up!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: My mother is having alot of issues, but getting better

You say your Mum has had 2 months therapy and now the PT is going to give her exercises? What sort of therapy was she having for all this time?
James

Closed Thread