It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User
cortisone shots in knee cause damage?

Can cortisone shots in the knee cause damage?

can you have too many of them???

what side effects to you all see with the shots?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
(female)

Play_Hard HB User
Re: cortisone shots in knee cause damage?

So I had the same questions before. When I asked this, an OT told me that the cortisone helps reduce swelling by eliminating (I think she actually said it dissolves the ligament) the "frayed" portions of the ligament or tendon. If you get too many of them, you can weaken or thin out your ligament in the area of the injection. I'm not too sure how much truth there is to this, but this is what I was told. I have had them before, but I just have not had a lot of them. I maybe only noticed a benefit once.

Last edited by Play_Hard; 08-10-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Typo, made the post not make sense!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I used to tolerate cortisone well and it did indeed help my left knee in February after tearing the meniscus. Now I don't tolerate cortisone well as I get steroid hunger (hungry all the time) and continual hot flashes. I've had a ton of injected cortisone for my knees and spine and when it works it's a great thing.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

OS gave me one 2 weeks ago in each knee. side effects not right in the head, high BLood sugar (i am diabetic), not sleeping, etc and etc were awful. I don't know whether to let dr keep giving them or if Synevis One is better with less damage to the ligaments, etc.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

My OS nurse has same knee issues as I do, she says that side effects take longer to go away with each time you get cortisone. yes, the hot flashes were awful. I just wondered if any of you had heard about damage being done with them.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana b View Post
Can cortisone shots in the knee cause damage?

can you have too many of them???

what side effects to you all see with the shots?
I have had a few shots. You can have just so many a year. I have never had any side effects nor heard of them and never heard of damage of any kind.
The first one I had before any surgery gave me instant relief. Had I known of the problems I am having I would have continued with the shots if I could. But knowing the knee would never get better - only worse as time went on I went ahead and had the surgery. Some are lucky and get along great and then there are those like me. I have heard some people say they would never do this again and others feel like a new person. I guess this TKR is different for each and everyone.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
(female)

barb, can I ask what kind of problems you are having with TKR...since I know that it is down the road for me, I would just like to hear good and bad.

Do you know how many cortisone shots you can have in a year??

I hope you are doing better, too.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana b View Post
barb, can I ask what kind of problems you are having with TKR...since I know that it is down the road for me, I would just like to hear good and bad.

Do you know how many cortisone shots you can have in a year??

I hope you are doing better, too.
I had one in 2008 from the first doc I saw and then felt I needed another opinion and that doc gave me one which was about eight monts later. I then decided since this was not going to get better I would have the TKR by this second doc who is extremely well known in his field. I had so much PT it is unreal. My Internist sent me to another doc because he feels something is still not right in there. I also had a full body bone scan from my Internist. The second doc sent me to water therapy and it did nothing. So I went back to my PT and also joined a fitness club so I could ride the bike every day inbetween seeing the PT. My life has been spent at doctors. I felt the second knee was beginning to have a problem so on my own called my Internist and told him I wanted an MRI on the other leg. Took that to the second doc who gave me a shot and said I would need TKR one day. Now I am going to see a third doc this coming Friday who is supposed to be able to deal with these kinds of problems. I have my doubts.
I even moved out of my large home because I was unable to care for the yard and do all the gardening and things I was used to doing. This new place has many amenities and one is an exercise room with much equipment like a Nu Step bike that I like plus a PT there five days a week. I must admit that I have been here just two weeks and have been in that room only two times because I am so disgusted that nothing helps. I need to get settled first and after being in a fairly large home for 49 years this apartment living is very different even though it is a nice size of 1542 square feet and a lot of storage space. But nothing compared to what I had.
I would tell you to get the shot and hope it lasts a long time. So far this last one I had has helped, but for how long I don't know. I think one can have two a year, but that is something your doc can tell you.
Wishing you well and hold off as long as you can. I now know and have met many people with TKR -- seems to be the "in thing" these days, but no one having the problems I am having.

Closed Thread