It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
(female)

Death by Knee HB User
Angry 6 knee surgeries down...7th about to happen

Hi! I'm new here and this is my first message. I happened to find this website when i was googling information about my next knee surgery. Like the title says I've had 6 knee surgeries, and in October I will find out when my 7th will be...

I'm 26, just turned less then a month ago, and I've just been told I will be needing my 7th knee surgery. I guess I just want to vent, and get everything off my chest that I'm feeling, and asking questions about my upcoming new surgery and what to expect. My doctor told me today that this will be probably one of the most painful knee surgeries I have had to date.

Where to begin? When I was 15 I hurt my knee for the first time playing ultimate frisbee in P.E. I stepped on the edge of the turf and track and my left knee buckled to the side (like how your elbow bends). It instantly swelled up, and I blacked out don't remember actually falling or grabbing at my knee. I didn't go to the ER until after school was out. The doctor then looked at it and told me to go get a straight leg brace and to see my primary care doctor in two weeks. My doctor saw me two weeks later and did the ACL test. He sent me for an MRI and called me a few days later that I tore my ACL completely, as well as my lateral muniscus. He told me to take it easy, which I didn't know how to do because I played soccer ever since I can remember. Well my brothers soccer team had a soccer party and I was playing with them. I stepped wrong and then tore my medial muniscus. (I didn't find that out until i was actually in under the knife, my surgery was only supposed to be an hour and a half, and it ended up being three...needless to say my mom was freaked out when it was taking so long.) During the surgery they repaired both of my muniscui, as well as taking part of my patellar tendon and put it in place of my acl. I did the recovery. and went back to trying to be as active as possible (although I was told I couldn't play soccer ever again, and I haven't since then).

A year later I hurt it, doing I don't know what and had to have another surgery for my lateral muniscus.

One year after that I had surgery to remove scar tissues.

Two years later I had to remove a 1/4 of my lateral muniscus.

A year after that I had surgery to repair my medial muniscus.

Five years, or four months ago I had another surgery to do an acl graft. The "acl" i had ruptured on the back side. They couldn't do any other repairs, all though there was other damnage. But I was starting to bleed a lot (I have a bleeding disorder, low platelets so I bleed easily) So rather then doing a blood transfuission they closed my knee up.

That night, my knee started to spasm and I had a lot of pain. Two months after I had surgery my knee still felt like it was giving out on me, as well as still needing to take pain medication. I also needed to get a shot of prednisone/pain medication into my knee. Two months later (today) I had two get two more shots, and my doctor said if at my 6 month check up I'm not doing any beter, or I'm still taking pain meds, or if its still giving out on me that I will be needing another knee surgery. He also said that at the rate I'm going to just expect to have the surgery within a few months. He told me I will be having a medial meniscus transplant, as well as a medial femor chondyle osteochondral allograft transplant. He also me that if after 6 months after this next surgery if its not better I will be having a knee replacement that this next surgery is a last ditch effort to make my knee better.

So I guess my question is has anyone been through this many knee surgeries? And has anyone had either a medial meniscus transplant, or a medial femor chondyle osteochondral allograft transplant, or both?

I feel broken I guess you could say. I'm sad, and depressed. I broke down crying when my doctor told me that I would be needing another surgery. He told me not to expet to run ever again. or really do anything. Sorry for making my first post venting. Its just a lot to take in especially because of the nature of my surgery and I will probably have to have a blood transfussion.

I have been told to get several opinions because if my knee doctor has done this many surgeries on my knee then he is obviously not doing something right. One doctor did my first 5 surgeries. My 6th one was done at a different hospital, by a different doctor. My doctor now is number one ranked in the city where I live, and does the surgeries for top athletes. He is also head of the department at the hospital (which is a teaching hospital). I'm not sure another opinion will do me much good other then pushing the surgery out farther and waiting. I would like to get it done asap. I am in so much pain, and I constantly have to take pain meds, as well as icing my knee. Even walking with a knee brace on my knee still feels like it is going to give out on me. I can't carry my son without being in pain. I honestly wish they would cut the stupid thing off! I cant straighten my leg all the way without wanting to cry out in pain. I'm sitting in bed and I can't cross my legs without being in pain! Someone on another webpage suggested I ask my doctor about pennsaid...anyone ever heard of or used it before?

The following user gives a hug of support to Death by Knee:
Danilou02 (09-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 6 knee surgeries down...7th about to happen

I'm sorry you have been through so much!

No, you are not alone. My situation is not as bad (just had my second surgery) but I'm around your age and I've had knee problems for a long time. We have some folks here who have stories as hair-raising as yours.

Assuming you don't have actual arthritis yet you do sound like a good candidate for meniscus transplant. You're young and you've lost your meniscus. However, you also want to be sure the instability is addressed, otherwise it's less likely to succeed.

The biggest issue with meniscus transplant is that it doesn't always work. Sometimes the transplant just doesn't "take." Your surgeon can probably give you odds in your particular case.

If the transplant doesn't take, a knee replacement should give you the ability to walk and do normal activities without pain, and if you were older, the surgeon would probably do that right away without trying the transplant. However, the replacement parts have a limited lifespan. The latest technology is expected to last about 30 years, which means if you have a replacement now, you will probably outlive your knees. Therefore, the surgeon wants to exhaust all other options before doing knee replacement surgery on you.

Your bleeding disorder may not only make surgery trickier, but it might increase swelling and bruising afterwards. It might help to consult with a hematologist beforehand. Maybe you could get some platelets before the surgery?

Pennsaid is a topical anti-inflammatory. I can't take most oral pain meds due to stomach problems, so I found topical anti-inflammatories to be very helpful at controlling the pain and swelling. It's not going to cure your knee, but it could make it easier to get through the day, and it's safer than popping pills every day for years. Some studies found that for knee or ankle pain, topicals can even be more effective than pills!

Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
(female)

Death by Knee HB User

I guess one thing I should talk to my doctor about is if it will increase my knee stability. I didn't even think to question that.

I have talked with my primary care doctor, as well as my hematologist. On the day of the surgery I am going to be coming in early so they can test my platelets. If they are low I will be going to the top of the hill for my surgery. My hopsital has two campus', one is on the bottom of the hill and they do day surgeries, the other one is on top of the hill and they do all other surgeries, and if anything is highrisk, or if there is a high risk that comes up before surgery, they move the surgery to the top of the hill.

So I also talked to my doctor about pennsaid, and that is something I can't take. All nsaids lower my platelets. My doctor prescribed a lidoderm (I think thats what its called) patch for my pain, but my insurance denied it, so we are appealing it.

I hate having to change my life because of my knee. Its so frustrating

The following user gives a hug of support to Death by Knee:
waldosmom (09-04-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It sounds like they are on top of your platelet issue, that's good. The Lidoderm could help, and the fact that you can't have any anti-inflammatories might get the appeal through. If you are in major pain, a home TENS unit can buy temporary relief. And of course, the eternal ice.

I totally hear you on the frustration thing. Had a rough day today mentally, keep wanting to do things I can't.

Ah, well. You just take what you can have, right?

Last edited by janewhite1; 09-02-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
(female)

waldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB User

I've had a total of 6 surgeries (3 on each knee).
My first knee surgery was lateral releases on both knees when I was 20. Right after our marriage -- nice honeymoon, I know.
Then I had a scope on each knee, separately, a few years ago.
Last December, at age 54, I had both knees replaced during the same party.

You're a young person to have so much trouble with your knee. I'm SO sorry that you're facing another surgery & recovery.

You are in the right place to ask a lot of questions.
People here have been very helpful and supportive to me during my recent recovery.
I'm one of those people who heals very slowly, so I still hobble around a lot.
I don't expect to feel really good for at least another 6 months. Sucks, I know.

Anyway, keep your chin up while you do your diligent research. It's important that you know what lies ahead for you so you can be an educated/informed patient!

Take care,
Lynn

Old 09-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
(female)

KathrynJ HB User

Hi Death by Knee

That's funny you should mention your proposed surgery - osteochondral allograft transplant of the medial femoral condyle. I just posted a question asking if anyone has had the same procedure done to their lateral femoral condyle, as that is what is being proposed for my knee. (My question is just 6 or 8 down the list from yours). It's a pretty big-deal procedure, compared to the arthroscopic day surgery I was anticipating.

I haven't had the procedure yet - meeting with the surgeon in Toronto a week from Wed. to ask more questions, as he only had about 5 minutes when I met him (I was referred to one of his colleagues, who is passing me along to him).

I haven't had as many surgeries as you have - just 4 scopes. But I can relate to some of what you're feeling, I think. I'm still trying to figure out the cost-benefit ratio of this more involved procedure - do I go for it, despite the lengthy rehab, or just suck it up for 10 or so years, until they'll be willing to do a total knee on me?

Good luck to you!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
(female)

Danilou02 HB User

I just had my third knee surgery last month! I feel like I may be going down the path you have been on! I have tired the lidoderm patch, and for me it did nothing! I don't know if that helps at all with getting denied from your insurance company or not.

After your arthroscopic surgeries did your port sites ever hurt? Mine are killing me and the after a month the swelling from those sites has not gone down! And my pain is still the same as it was before this surgery!

I'm sorry you are going through so much, it really does suck!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
(male)

Keithap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death by Knee View Post
Hi! I'm new here and this is my first message. I happened to find this website when i was googling information about my next knee surgery. Like the title says I've had 6 knee surgeries, and in October I will find out when my 7th will be...

I'm 26, just turned less then a month ago, and I've just been told I will be needing my 7th knee surgery. I guess I just want to vent, and get everything off my chest that I'm feeling, and asking questions about my upcoming new surgery and what to expect. My doctor told me today that this will be probably one of the most painful knee surgeries I have had to date.

Where to begin? When I was 15 I hurt my knee for the first time playing ultimate frisbee in P.E. I stepped on the edge of the turf and track and my left knee buckled to the side (like how your elbow bends). It instantly swelled up, and I blacked out don't remember actually falling or grabbing at my knee. I didn't go to the ER until after school was out. The doctor then looked at it and told me to go get a straight leg brace and to see my primary care doctor in two weeks. My doctor saw me two weeks later and did the ACL test. He sent me for an MRI and called me a few days later that I tore my ACL completely, as well as my lateral muniscus. He told me to take it easy, which I didn't know how to do because I played soccer ever since I can remember. Well my brothers soccer team had a soccer party and I was playing with them. I stepped wrong and then tore my medial muniscus. (I didn't find that out until i was actually in under the knife, my surgery was only supposed to be an hour and a half, and it ended up being three...needless to say my mom was freaked out when it was taking so long.) During the surgery they repaired both of my muniscui, as well as taking part of my patellar tendon and put it in place of my acl. I did the recovery. and went back to trying to be as active as possible (although I was told I couldn't play soccer ever again, and I haven't since then).

A year later I hurt it, doing I don't know what and had to have another surgery for my lateral muniscus.

Five years, or four months ago I had another surgery to do an acl graft. The "acl" i had ruptured on the back side. They couldn't do any other repairs, all though there was other damnage. But I was starting to bleed a lot (I have a bleeding disorder, low platelets so I bleed easily) So rather then doing a blood transfuission they closed my knee up.

That night, my knee started to spasm and I had a lot of pain. Two months after I had surgery my knee still felt like it was giving out on me, as well as still needing to take pain medication. I also needed to get a shot of prednisone/pain medication into my knee. Two months later (today) I had two get two more shots, and my doctor said if at my 6 month check up I'm not doing any beter, or I'm still taking pain meds, or if its still giving out on me that I will be needing another knee surgery. He also said that at the rate I'm going to just expect to have the surgery within a few months. He told me I will be having a medial meniscus transplant, as well as a medial femor chondyle osteochondral allograft transplant. He also me that if after 6 months after this next surgery if its not better I will be having a knee replacement that this next surgery is a last ditch effort to make my knee better.

So I guess my question is has anyone been through this many knee surgeries? And has anyone had either a medial meniscus transplant, or a medial femor chondyle osteochondral allograft transplant, or both?

I feel broken I guess you could say. I'm sad, and depressed. I broke down crying when my doctor told me that I would be needing another surgery. He told me not to expet to run ever again. or really do anything. Sorry for making my first post venting. Its just a lot to take in especially because of the nature of my surgery and I will probably have to have a blood transfussion.

I have been told to get several opinions because if my knee doctor has done this many surgeries on my knee then he is obviously not doing something right. One doctor did my first 5 surgeries. My 6th one was done at a different hospital, by a different doctor. My doctor now is number one ranked in the city where I live, and does the surgeries for top athletes. He is also head of the department at the hospital (which is a teaching hospital). I'm not sure another opinion will do me much good other then pushing the surgery out farther and waiting. I would like to get it done asap. I am in so much pain, and I constantly have to take pain meds, as well as icing my knee. Even walking with a knee brace on my knee still feels like it is going to give out on me. I can't carry my son without being in pain. I honestly wish they would cut the stupid thing off! I cant straighten my leg all the way without wanting to cry out in pain. I'm sitting in bed and I can't cross my legs without being in pain! Someone on another webpage suggested I ask my doctor about pennsaid...anyone ever heard of or used it before?

The following user gives a hug of support to Keithap:
infoseeker701 (11-12-2011)
Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
(male)

Keithap HB User

Sorry this system is set up for NASA types and is too complex for me. Im 34 and a physical therapist/athletic trainer. Knee surgery #6 was an osteochondral allograft on 10/31/11. I have a twitter link at @kneeop6 with daily updates. Had the meniscus transplant 5 years back, that was a garbage surgery with easily the worst recovery. Hope this one is better. Will give you updates

Old 11-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
(female)

waldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB Userwaldosmom HB User

Great idea to tweet your progress! I'll follow you.
Take care,
Lynn (@doodlemom on twitter)

Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
(female)

infoseeker701 HB User

After hearing your story I should not complain. God be with you and I am sorry that I can not help. It sounds like you have the right doctor now so good luck but always get as many opinions from doctors until you feel comfortable with the answers. Is there any reason that just getting the knee replacement wouldn't help solve the problem?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
(male)

Keithap HB User

Thanks for following, 4 weeks post-op yesterday. Down to 1 crutch-pain maybe a 2/10 if that. Able to get around on the bike without resistance or pain. Cleared for water activity next week so that's when I'll actually feel some progress. It's a long, twisted journey that I hate to say is not for the faint at heart. With no vices to speak of the only issue I have is the occasional outburst due to anger, but hey-I'm not addicted to pills so how bad can it be?? By the way, also on no meds at this time other than supplements. Thanks for the encouragement,

Keith

Old 02-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
(male)

bigdaddyfrank HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death by Knee View Post

check my recent post, pal. im on number 6, 53 years old and started kickboxing 3 weeks ago(light kicks). keep ur chin up

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User

Hi "Death by knee,"
You're really young to have to endure all of this. I'm sorry. I'm 48 years old and am currently recovering from my 9th surgery (lumbar surgery)- have had both of my knees replaced 3 years ago (along with 2 ankle surgeries, 3 knee scopes, compartment release). It's difficult to live a life constantly recovering from surgeries but I just wanted to chime in here to say that I wish you the best. Keep positive-that will help you through it all!
-Let Me Walk

Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

I hope your next surgery goes well. I lost my medial meniscus in my early 20s (they used to take them out when they were damaged, instead of repairing them). Wgen I was in my 30s and 40s, I had a number of debridements when the bones started rubbing, to remove the debris. About 20 years later I had a tibial osteotomy, which moves those rubbing bones apart by changing the angle of the leg. About a year after that, I had a meniscus transplant, since I now had space to have one). That lasted about 10 years but eventually got chewed up (I am very active). I waited five more years while I went to the gym and fought the pain. It got harder to walk long distances and I was no longer able to ride a bike. Or wear high heels a lot! I just had a TKR in Oct. 2012. I am still recovering but now walk without pain, though I am still working on regaining enough bend range to bike ride. I don't think multiple surgeries indicate bad medical care; the more active you are, once your knee gets damaged, the faster the problems escalate. You are young, you will recover, hang in there. If you do not trust your ortho, find another once who specializes in knees.

Reply Reply