It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User
Question How many cortisone injections can you have?

my question is that my dr keeps giving me injections cortisone of Synevisc One, putting off TKR. Do these shots only help you or do they do any damage?

only side effects from cortisone I have seen are: jittery, heartbeat irregular, not sleepy, feeling of high from the injection, soreness the next day

Synevisc One: extreme pain during the injection and to walk for about an hour

any thoughts??

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: How many cortisone injections can you have?

They can definitely do damage. I have heard that you should have no more than three in a specific area.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I've heard the same thing. Some sources say no more than three in one joint in a year, some say no more than three in a lifetime.

The first one is safe, but the more you have, the more the connective tissue and even bones can soften.

As far as I know, Synvisic is safer in the long term.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
(female)

Teach4aday HB User

I had a shot in each knee every four months for about 3 1/2 years. Tried the series of Synvisc shots (one shot each knee for five weeks in a row) and they did nothgin. Cortisone helped to postpone my TKR because they said I was too young. Osteoarthritis progressed from fall at age 32 until first TKE at age 56. When Dr. had trouble getting needle in for shot I knew it was time for surgery. First TKR (right) in 12/09, second TKR (left) in 4/2011. Shots gave me no trouble and caused no damage. Just keep them to 3 or 4 a year.

Closed Thread