It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User
Right Knee Pain

I am a 33 year old male and am having pain in my right knee on the left side of the knee. I am not a runner or play sports anymore since I was 25 or so. The pain started about 4 weeks ago and would come about once a week after walking around wal mart or the house for about 30 min or so. Now after 4 weeks the pain is consistent. It is a mild pain and I can feel it while driving, walking, or bending. The pain is usually there until I finally go to sleep and then diminishes a lot to where it is almost gone until I use the next day and then it slowly comes back until it gets to the mild pain. The mild pain also feels irritating. The knee also feels tired from being over worked. I have never had any knee problems at all. The pain seems to stay on the inside of the right knee. I've had an x-ray which was normal and will be going for an MRI next week. I've tried ice, which seems to make the knee a little stiffer and tried sitting in a recliner, but nothing has helped, until I fall asleep. Any help or any more info I can give please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
(female)

LessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB UserLessStress38 HB User
Re: Right Knee Pain

My knee discomfort sounds similar. I had an MRI this past week, waiting on results. Hard to tell with x-ray if it's a cartilage problem for me. I may actually have had compressed some cartilage in a fall about 5 months ago, and it still hurts. I know different from you, but same area for pain and same result on x-ray and got the MRI...etc. I will be curious to know how yours turns out...also
How do you do with stairs? Do you feel any throbbing pain-wise when you are resting?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
(male)

So far there has been no throbbing pain as of yet, but like I've said it just started being a consistent pain the last 3-4 days. As for stairs the most I've had to climb so far was 2-3 and that makes it feel irritable. Like I've said after I fall asleep and wake up it doesn't feel bad. It's after I start walking for a while or moving it for a while the pain starts slowly coming back until it gets to a mild irritable pain and then stays til I fall asleep. My MRi will either be mid week or later in the week, so If you get yours back before I do I would love to hear your results. My knee also feels a little sore to touch on that same side as well.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
(male)

I have an MRI set for Wed and won't know the results til Friday or early next week. I was getting all of my pain in my right knee on the left side which I am still having, but now I am getting a little pain in the knee cap it feels. I am not sure what is going on since most of the pain is on the left side.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegaderob18 View Post
I am a 33 year old male and am having pain in my right knee on the left side of the knee. I am not a runner or play sports anymore since I was 25 or so. The pain started about 4 weeks ago and would come about once a week after walking around wal mart or the house for about 30 min or so. Now after 4 weeks the pain is consistent. It is a mild pain and I can feel it while driving, walking, or bending. The pain is usually there until I finally go to sleep and then diminishes a lot to where it is almost gone until I use the next day and then it slowly comes back until it gets to the mild pain. The mild pain also feels irritating. The knee also feels tired from being over worked. I have never had any knee problems at all. The pain seems to stay on the inside of the right knee. I've had an x-ray which was normal and will be going for an MRI next week. I've tried ice, which seems to make the knee a little stiffer and tried sitting in a recliner, but nothing has helped, until I fall asleep. Any help or any more info I can give please let me know.
In the inside area of a knee the joint is held together by the medial ligament. Unfortunately the medial meniscus is attached to the ligament making it prone to damage. As you described your condition it was exactly the same as mine in both knees several years apart. Had them both scoped and 100% since.
James

Old 09-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james079 View Post
In the inside area of a knee the joint is held together by the medial ligament. Unfortunately the medial meniscus is attached to the ligament making it prone to damage. As you described your condition it was exactly the same as mine in both knees several years apart. Had them both scoped and 100% since.
James

How bad and often was your pain and was it anywhere else in your right knee besides the left side of it?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

The pain in both cases was really severe on activity but pretty reasonable at rest and only over the inner joint space. One was worse on flexion and one one extention. Anti inflammatory medication made huge difference.
James

Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #8
(male)

wiz156 HB User

You are on the right track in what you are doing. First the Xray then followed up with the MRI. With the Xray they can"t see soft tissue damage but they can tell if a total knee replacement may be in order by looking for bone on bone contact. By your age it would really be very unusual and many times pain can be caused by a torn meniscus. The procedure to help this is to simply recarve the meniscus taking out the tear, IF it is in an area where the meniscus is torn will not heal, due to low blood circulation. If the meniscus tear is located in red area (where there is blood circulation) rest may be the simplilest solution. Good luck with your results.

The Following User Says Thank You to wiz156 For This Useful Post:
LessStress38 (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz156 View Post
You are on the right track in what you are doing. First the Xray then followed up with the MRI. With the Xray they can"t see soft tissue damage but they can tell if a total knee replacement may be in order by looking for bone on bone contact. By your age it would really be very unusual and many times pain can be caused by a torn meniscus. The procedure to help this is to simply recarve the meniscus taking out the tear, IF it is in an area where the meniscus is torn will not heal, due to low blood circulation. If the meniscus tear is located in red area (where there is blood circulation) rest may be the simplilest solution. Good luck with your results.
I saw you live in Lancaster,Pa. I lived there for a little over 20 years but now live in Texas. My question is will an MRI show everything in your knee? I just didn't know how accurate an MRI is on a knee because I have heard of some people having expolritory surgery on their knees. Also I can go sometimes a day or two with no pain but eventually the mild irritating pain does set in and even sometimes it is sensitive to touch. It seems sensitive once or twice a week and it does not always get sensitive when the pain sets in. Does that change anything?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
(male)

wiz156 HB User

I m in Lancaster, PA. MRI gives a great picture of what you will need. I believe its your doctors thoughts that you have a torn meniscus by his approach. That procedure will help extend the "life" of the knee although you will be more prone to possible future operations. Usually by an Xray the doctor is already thinking that you will not need TKR and he will not recommend it until all other avenues are exhausted. The longer such a procedure is postponed the better off you are on its longivity.

Closed Thread