It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User
Partial knne replacement vs TKR vs Arthroscopic surgery?

This of you who have read some of my previous posts know some about me right knee. If some have not read them I have chondromalacia which is softening of the cartilage of the under the kneecap (patella).Chondromalacia patella results from degeneration of cartilage due to poor alignment of the kneecap as it slides over the lower end of the thigh bone (femur)

My doc gave me a shot which made it worse for the first 24 house and then the pain eased for about two days and then came back full force. I am only 33 and He said is the shot didn't help he wants to do arthroscopic surgery, but also said I will need a TKR later . My question is even though I am 33 wouldn't it be easy to do a partial replacement and then do a TKR later since I've read you can do a TKR after a partial one? He said the until the TKR there is a chance I will need a few arthroscopic surgeries until then(which I have heard from other can happen), so which made me think why not a partial for now to avoid other arthroscopic surgeries until TKR? I see the surgeon in a few weeks, which is why I'm trying to cover everything now. I don't play sports anymore if that helps and am average weight. The main thing I want to do is to play ball with the kids and play with them outside and to avoid multiple arthroscopic surgeries until TKR. I have done lots of research on what the doc has told me and feel 100% comfortable with this doc as I've used him in the past for shoulder surgery and he is very wise and answers all my questions. Any help I would appreciate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
(male)

Re: Partial knne replacement vs TKR vs Arthroscopic surgery?

Wanted to let everyone know it is my right knee with the pain being under the knee cap and on the inside of the knee to the top side of it.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hi, RenegadeRob. I'm about the same age as you (30), and I also have chronic knee pain. And the cortisone shot I had a couple weeks ago did nothing aside from hurt horribly. So I feel like we have a lot in common right now.

Since you are so young comparatively, the idea is to hold off on implanting hardware for as many years as possible, even a partial replacement. The hardware does have a limited lifespan.

Arthroscopic surgery is not a big deal. I've already had one in each knee and my right ankle, and with both of the knees, I was walking the next day and largely recovered within a week. I think that if I were facing TKR, but knew another scope could hold it off even for just a year or two, I'd do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
renegaderob18 (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
(male)

I've read that most people at our age usually have 3 surgeries or so to hold them off until TKR. Having 3 knee surgeries would suck. I understand they try to wait until your in your 50's for TKR, but I've read TKR and Partial knee replacement last 20 years or so. If they did the partial one now that would put me in the window for full TKR when it was that time. I just feel partial knee replacement is better then 3 or so surgeries before TKR. How long ago did you have your surgeries and were they for chondromalacia and do I make any sense at all?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

One key question, which I can't answer for you, is whether a partial would even help in your case.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is just how much easier the scope is to recover from, compared to the replacement. Drastically less pain. I took ONE painkiller after each scope, and that was more of a just-in-case thing than a really-need-it thing.

My ankle was scoped back in 2008. Full recovery. Right knee was May of this year, and left knee was August, so quite recent.

I have some chondromalacia, but still early stage. The right knee scope was to remove a stray piece of tissue called a plica, and it helped a lot.

The left knee, well, that surgery didn't help, but at least the recovery was not that hard.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
(male)

I have stage 3 chondromalacia in the knee and we have tried everything. I go see the doc November 3rd and will be getting a second opinion later that day as well. I trust the original doc, but I want to make sure I have all information and make sure they feel the same. I was told from this surgery it is a 6-8 week or so recovery time and there is a 50/50 chance that crutches may be needed for the first few days to first two weeks. I just hate having to have knee surgeries and then knowing there will be more because I have had 5 surgeries between both shoulders and 4 between both elbows. This will make my 10th surgery. Knowing there will be more knee surgeries after this makes me feel bad. I am tired of surgeries at my age.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Believe me, I know the feeling, and I know the temptation to just be done with it! But there really isn't a once-and-done surgical solution, not in younger folks.

Ask the doctor how long this surgery might buy you relief, and whether a partial replacement is an option. But do keep in mind, it's better to avoid the hardware for as long as possible.

Closed Thread