HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Knee & Hip Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/)
-   -   Knee Replacement Options (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/877449-knee-replacement-options.html)

SueN 11-10-2011 11:14 AM

Knee Replacement Options

I have an HMO and have been told that knee replacement at 53 will severely limit my activities. No biking, no jogging, no leg presses, no stairs. I was also told that most artificial knees are the same - there are no big differences in the types depending on your activity level or age. Has anyone else been told this stuff or do I have a cheap HMO trying to give me the bottom line knee?

janewhite1 11-10-2011 05:27 PM

Re: Knee Replacement Options

No jogging is true. High-impact activities such as running and jumping will cause the joint to wear out too fast.

The other limitations are quite false. Biking and leg presses strengthen the muscles, which help hold the replacement together. Within reason, you should be able to do plenty of [B]low impact[/B] exercise once you have sufficiently recovered from the surgery. Being able to climb stairs easily is a major reason people GET replacements in the first place.

As for technology, I'm not an expert on that, but you do want a knee with maximum life expectancy, due to your relatively young age.

Did you hear this from a surgeon or from your primary care doctor?

SueN 11-11-2011 03:08 AM

[QUOTE=janewhite1;4877441]No jogging is true. High-impact activities such as running and jumping will cause the joint to wear out too fast.

The other limitations are quite false. Biking and leg presses strengthen the muscles, which help hold the replacement together. Within reason, you should be able to do plenty of [B]low impact[/B] exercise once you have sufficiently recovered from the surgery. Being able to climb stairs easily is a major reason people GET replacements in the first place.

As for technology, I'm not an expert on that, but you do want a knee with maximum life expectancy, due to your relatively young age.

Did you hear this from a surgeon or from your primary care doctor?[/QUOTE]

Thank you this makes more sense. It was the actual orthopedic surgeon who told me this! When I told him I couldn't wait to ride my bike again, he said "oh no! You can't ride a bike! If you fall you'll completely ruin the joint! ??? I was so surprised by this reaction. I haven't fallen off a bike in over 30 years. Anyway, thank you for the information. I'm trying to find a good website to help me discover what brands of knees there are and which ones have better track records. If you know of any I would appreciate it. I do know I need total knee replacement. It's bone-on-bone in there with extensive soft tissue damage and I absolutely cannot walk around without a crutch - but at least I'm strong and in good condition from using a personal trainer all the time on everything but that knee. From what I've been reading this should be a big help post-op.

janewhite1 11-11-2011 06:12 PM

My father has two hip replacements. Last summer, he actually did crash his bike. And he fell so hard he cracked his femur. The replacement joint didn't budge. Once you fully heal, it takes a lot of force to displace those joints.

Now, you shouldn't be dumb about it. My dad still skis, but he sticks to easier trails, so he doesn't risk a hard fall. It's not like having perfectly heathy original knees, but it's much better than what you have now.

Definitely get another opinion before you commit to the surgery. Not because I think it's a bad idea, just because it is a very big deal.

Sportsnut42 01-27-2012 02:53 PM

While researching TKA for myself I came across a recent study showing that the people who, jogged, lifted and generally did more then the recommended physical activity actually did slightly better then those who stayed within the doctor recommended perameters. The prosthetic was seated better and seemed tighter.
As far as your HMO, be sure the surgeon you choose does a lot of knee replacements per year and has a very low failure rate. Choosing the right surgeon is important but choosing the right physical therapist is even more important.
Physical therapy, done by you at home twice a day (at least) and three times a week with a PT is the key to a good recovery.
From everything I have read your HMO is right about the device itself. They generally say the one your surgeon uses is the one that is best. I have done a great deal of research prior to my TKA, which was Jan. 17, 2012 and would be happy to give you what I have looked into, if you are interested. I hope that helped.

glennxyz 01-28-2012 05:25 AM

I had my right TKR in Oct 2010 (I am 56) and its doing fine but you cannot do high impact activities if you want it to last. I bowl, bike & golf alot and the knee is fine. I went skiing a couple of times (no black diamonds) with no problem. I go to gym 3x week elliptical, weights, swimming all great for knee. I did give up running & racquetball. You should research your surgeon and hospital (lots of google searches), I saw 4 surgeons before pulling trigger. I asked blunt questions, how many TKRs have they done and describe your most difficult case, it's your knee and you are the customer ! If the surgeon didn't like my questions I moved on. For what its worth I have a journey knee from smith&nephew, usually the surgeon will have a favorite provider.

Remember the 1st 2 months of recovery are the toughest but work hard at PT and its all worth it in the end.

Best of luck,
Glenn

mverba 03-19-2013 08:02 AM

Hi Glenn, I am starting to do research as well, and I have narrowed it down to two surgeons -- both seem equally competent -- one uses the Smith & Nephew Genesis II, and the other the Stryker Triathlon with ShapeMatch technology (basically exact guidance on how to make the cuts, in case you are not familiar). I am having a heck of a time finding comparisons. Longevity is my main concern as I am only 55, and will most likely to bilateral. Thanks in advance for any info, Margy

glennxyz 03-20-2013 03:21 AM

It is a difficult process to compare hospitals & surgeons, metrics are hard to find. I met with 4 surgeons to see whom I felt comfortable with asking lots of questions. I had mine done with Dr Haas at hospital for Special Surgery in NY, to see him for the 1st consultation I had to wait 7 months. If you google the appliance vendors you can find some good information on the technology aspect of the hardware, I have a white paper on mine. So far so good for me. I wish you luck !

mverba 03-20-2013 08:31 AM

Glenn, Thanks so much for your reply, and glad to hear you are doing well (please remind me how long it's been?). So, out of curiosity, what type of prosthesis did your surgeon use? Thanks!

glennxyz 03-20-2013 10:30 AM

Mverba,

I am 2.5 yrs post TKR, I was 55 at the time. I have a Smith & Nephew Journey knee.

Glenn