It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

lilabut HB User
partial hip replacement - elderly

Hi - my 83 year old dad had partial hip replacement last week. Was in the hospital for 4 days, and now in rehab. They told him he will probably go home Feb. 11. I've been reading the posts, and finding them very helpful. Of course, I am worried for him when he gets home. I will purchase a raised toilet seat, and a grabber thing. What else should I have ready for him? My mom will be home for him, but I am worried about his recovery. They live on the 2nd floor, so he will have about 12 steps to deal with. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: partial hip replacement - elderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabut View Post
Hi - my 83 year old dad had partial hip replacement last week. Was in the hospital for 4 days, and now in rehab. They told him he will probably go home Feb. 11. I've been reading the posts, and finding them very helpful. Of course, I am worried for him when he gets home. I will purchase a raised toilet seat, and a grabber thing. What else should I have ready for him? My mom will be home for him, but I am worried about his recovery. They live on the 2nd floor, so he will have about 12 steps to deal with. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.
-To make him very independent, purchase:

-sock donner gadget

-long handled shoe horn

-dressing stick

-solid arm chair - lounge chairs not good. Kitchen high stools are great too can just back into them.

Move clothes etc. into waist high or higher drawers so he doesn't have to bend over to get things.

I hope the raised toilet seat has arms. All chairs should have arms to facilitate sitting down and getting up.

I am glad you already have the grabber. These are useful to everyone not just joint replacement people.

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread