It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
(female)

SB32 HB User
Question Knees are making crackling noises with new workout routine

So I've never had an issue with my knees before. I'm 32 years old, have always been very active and am pretty fit (5'1" and 123 lbs at the moment).

I'm trying to lose a few of the extra "holiday" lbs I've put on and a friend recommended great 30-45 min workouts that incorporate cardio as well as strength training. However, it uses a lot of squats/lunges...a LOT! I made sure I'm doing the squats correctly (knee doesn't go in front of toes, most of weight kept in heel), but despite that, my knees have started making crackling noises when I squat down and then stand back up again. I've never had an issue with this before, so it's starting to concern me.

I have no pain in the knees, just the crackling noises...anyone had anything similar happen with them when starting a new workout routine???

Last edited by moderator2; 03-08-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
(female)

SB32 HB User
Re: Knees are making crackling noises with new workout routine

Anyone? Am I the only one with this issue?! LOL Oh well, I have my annual physical with my doc tomorow so I'll ask her then, just wondered about everyone else's experience...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I have the same problem and the noises are coming from my patellar tendons...that long tendon that holds the kneecap in place. When they are stressed, they can make a lot of noises and if you put your hand on them as you straighten the leg, you can even feel the crunching.

If it starts to hurt, see an ortho...could be tendinitis. If you sense it's coming from inside the joint, then knock off the squats and lunges...they really are bad for the knees. See a sports med ortho and find out where the crunching sounds are coming from and how to modify your exercises so you don't hurt your knees. They can be fine.......and then they aren't. And once they aren't, it's a steady down hill from then on. You have no idea how bad a knee can get until you have one. Been there.

Jenny

Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
(female)

SB32 HB User

Oh geez thanks for the info!! Yeah it's weird the sounds aren't like the crack or pop of a knuckle but more like a weird crackling grinding noise...hmm wonder what some other lower impact exercises I could do in the meantime would be?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #5
(female)

SB32 HB User

Ok saw the doc and she told me it is no big deal unless there's pain so I'm good to go although she did say that she doesn't recommend squats, that they are not good for your knees long term!

Old 03-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB32 View Post
Ok saw the doc and she told me it is no big deal unless there's pain so I'm good to go although she did say that she doesn't recommend squats, that they are not good for your knees long term!
Doctors often say funny things they know little about. The squat is the basic exercise for lower body power. There is absolutely no evidence that squats do you any harm long or short term. Nursing homes are full of people who can't get up from a chair even. If they had done a few squats every day many would be out and about. Also ignore the the noises.
James

Closed Thread