It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
(male)

passionplay HB User
Hit top of knee hard - now has a lump and cannot bend

1 week ago I hit my knee very hard on the front part of the arm rest of a couch while trying to hurdle it. I immediately became nauseous and the knee swelled up instantly. I was able to walk on it painfully for the week. However, I put some pressure on it last night and it now has swollen up severely and I now cannot put any pressure on it. There is a large lump on the top of my patella where the quad. tendon would attach. If I dare and bend my knee it swells up further and is extremely painful. I do not have health insurance so before I go see a doctor I want to know what the conditions could be. Could it be a tendon tear, cartilage damage? I tried moving my patella around while my leg was completely straight. It did not hurt other than put pressure on the knee. However when I started pressing around the area where the quad tendon connects to the knee cap, my knee began to flare up again. Could it just be a bruise? Could there be a break or is it more likely a tendon or cartilage damage?? I just want to try to get all the feedback first with possible home solutions before going into major debt for spending time with an orthopod. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Hit top of knee hard - now has a lump and cannot bend

Welcome to the board, sorry to hear of your predicament. The most likely diagnosis is a supra patellar traumatic bursitis. The bursa is like a sack with a little bit of fluid in it to enable your tendon to glide properly over the knee. Now the difficult part. If it is filled with blood it should be removed by sticking in a needle. If it is swelling from the joint capsule then it is much less necessary. It may be difficult to tell apart but a knee with blood is generally warmer, best tested with the back of the hand and compare knee surfaces. Two things you can do to help, first is iceing with very cold compresses and the other is called static quads exercises. To do this get your leg straight on the bed and place a rolled towel under the knee. You then push the knee down and lift the heel off and do ten quads contractions each lasting a few seconds as hard as the pain will allow. Do this every hour or anytime you are sitting around. As you can walk around it less likely you have ruptured the tendon or cracked the bone. Keep us in touch.
James

The Following User Says Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
passionplay (03-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Not sure if anyone could give you a definitive diagnosis over the internet, so this is a general first aid reminder for bruises. RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate. If the exercises described by the other poster help you to slowly regain some mobility in the knee, then great! You should also take NSAIDs, like Advil or Aleve, according to bottle directions, to reduce the inflammation, as long as you are not allergic. If the swelling, pain, increase in temperature, etc. do not begin to improve, then you should seek medical attention.

According to the National Institutes of Health, there are a couple of other reasons to seek medical attention for a bruise. Here is a link to information on their .gov website: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007213.htm

Last edited by SweetPeainSF; 03-30-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Substitute website for text of info

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
passionplay (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
(male)

passionplay HB User

I have to thank both James079 and SweetPeainSF. I did work through the pain and got most of the mobility back in my knee. I saw an orthopedic dr. and they of course took x-rays, interestingly there was a small hairline fracture in the patella, but nothing that was serious. It did not continue through the knee cap so they said that I would not need surgery. Thus, I would say that the diagnosis was excellent. It was certainly painful but lots of ice and ibuprofen did the trick! I still have bruising but that is probably because of my factor 8 deficiency.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Hi -- glad to hear of your good prognosis. Avoiding surgery is a big plus in my book. It sounds like surgery would have been complicated given your underlying issue, so even more important in your case. Congrats -- hoping you have a speedy recovery.

Closed Thread

Tags
cartilage, knee, patella, tendon, trauma