It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

Lauren116 HB User
Unhappy Constant Leg and Thigh Pain!

Opinion Needed!

For the past two weeks I have had constant knee, thigh, and leg pain. It's shooting pain and sometimes throbbing pain down my leg most of the day. No pain meds help. I didn't do anything to pull any muscles. It was out of the blue! Should I be worried!?!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Constant Leg and Thigh Pain!

Hi Lauren -- sorry for your pain. Any time that your body has pain, particularly unexplained pain, it is a cause for concern.

There's a possibility, as you are describing shooting pain, that the pain is originating from your back. Do you have any symptoms back pain, personal history, or family history? Or did you do anything that might have hurt your back? I know it seems odd, but the nerves in the back can be compressed and the pain is perceived as originating from elsewhere: the legs, for example.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
(female)

Lauren116 HB User

Thank you are responding! I appreciate it! I have some lower back pain but I was just diagnosed with gallstones and a slightly enlarged liver. I have stomach cramps all the time and think sometime the pain actually comes from my stomach as opposed to my back which I know sounds funny.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

It's possible that the issue triggering your gallstones and/or enlarged liver is pressing on a nerve. The nerve compression or impingement can cause those types of shooting pains. You may also have changed your posture to compensate for abdominal discomfort, which could be aggravating a nerve. When you go back to your treating doctor (I am assuming internist), make sure to ask which part of the body the nerves in the inflamed area correspond to and whether the inflammation could cause one of those nerves to be compressed.

By the way, the abdomen and back are not very far apart. I had back surgery through a bikini cut incision (in the front). The scar looks like I had a very tiny baby via C-section. In fact, the day before the surgery, the doc had me get in the table to palpate my abdomen. He said -- oh, this is good, I can feel your spine already. (Through my belly.) So, it wouldn't be too surprising if your abdominal issues are causing your back to cause your leg to have pain.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
(female)

Lauren116 HB User

Thank you!! I was kinda hoping my leg pain was just related to the gallstones cuz I didn't have any of this stuff till I was diagnosed with them. I will talk to my surgeon I go in the beginning of April. Thank you again!

Closed Thread