It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User
exercises before tkr

do you just keep on exercising (pt exercises) and riding stationery bike before tkr to build up strength or do you cut back due to the pain and swelling it causes?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: exercises before tkr

I would say to do as much exercise as you can reasonably tolerate without excessive pain. Stronger muscles will make your rehab easier later.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
nana b (04-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
(female)

jenne13 HB User

I agree with janewhite1. As much as possible will help both you good knee and bad. Also maybe your doc will prescribe prePT. Some doctors will do that if your knee is not very strong.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
(female)

I did pre therapy until dr said that some of the exercises I shouldn't do because of the pain it was causing. I am trying, walked some tonight, getting nervous about it all.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
(female)

Merrykaye HB User

Hi Nana - I agree with the other people posting - do as much as you can tolerate. My tkr is June 18 and I am getting nervous too but will try to get to the gym and do what I can. I wish you the best with your surgery - all will be fine.

Karen

The following user gives a hug of support to Merrykaye:
nana b (04-21-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB User

It is VERY IMPORTANT to do at least six weeks of PT prior to your TKR to build up the muscles surrounding the knee (and your quads which are in the thigh.) Your therapist should be able to tailor your therapy so that you aren't doing any exercise that exacerbates the pain prior to surgery. Ask him or her to consult your Orthopedic surgeon who will be doing your replacement surgery to make adjustments to your pre-surgery therapy routine.

When is your surgery? Don't be scared. I had my first (right knee) TKR last April and was very nervous because I didn't know what to expect. (Even though I went to a pre-op information class at the hospital where I had it done.) I was thrilled with the results and within six months, the soreness of having the knee worked on was gone and I started "forgetting" that I had an artificial knee! Same thing this year, when I had to have my left TKR last month (3/23/12). Only this time, I was more motivated because I knew what to expect and I actually walked 200 FEET on the walker THE SAME DAY AS SURGERY!!! (mine was the first case at 8 AM so I was in my hospital room in the Ortho unit by 4 PM, allowing me to insist on getting up to walk with assistance.) My surgeon, who was busy with other cases all that same day after completing my TKR, did not know until two days later when he came in on rounds and I told him how much I had walked on the day of surgery. He was thrilled, and said that because I've done EVERYTHING both pre and post surgery that he asked of me regarding rehab, he feels I'm going to have an even faster recovery than the first one last year. So far, 4 weeks post surgery, that is exactly what is happening. Rehab is going EXTREMELY well for me.

If you have any questions before surgery, don't hesitate to write and ask me.

Let me know when your surgery is scheduled.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
(female)

It is scheduled for May 29th. Dr had me in pt in January and February. I am trying to keep pushing on with my exercises. I have 4 pages of exercises and a stationery bike. I guess the pain and the thought of blood clots scare me. I have had numerous surgeries before but this one just scares me more.
I will let you know of any more questions might think of. Anymore suggestions would be great.
thank you so much for your encouragement.

QUOTE=*******;4965287]It is VERY IMPORTANT to do at least six weeks of PT prior to your TKR to build up the muscles surrounding the knee (and your quads which are in the thigh.) Your therapist should be able to tailor your therapy so that you aren't doing any exercise that exacerbates the pain prior to surgery. Ask him or her to consult your Orthopedic surgeon who will be doing your replacement surgery to make adjustments to your pre-surgery therapy routine.

When is your surgery? Don't be scared. I had my first (right knee) TKR last April and was very nervous because I didn't know what to expect. (Even though I went to a pre-op information class at the hospital where I had it done.) I was thrilled with the results and within six months, the soreness of having the knee worked on was gone and I started "forgetting" that I had an artificial knee! Same thing this year, when I had to have my left TKR last month (3/23/12). Only this time, I was more motivated because I knew what to expect and I actually walked 200 FEET on the walker THE SAME DAY AS SURGERY!!! (mine was the first case at 8 AM so I was in my hospital room in the Ortho unit by 4 PM, allowing me to insist on getting up to walk with assistance.) My surgeon, who was busy with other cases all that same day after completing my TKR, did not know until two days later when he came in on rounds and I told him how much I had walked on the day of surgery. He was thrilled, and said that because I've done EVERYTHING both pre and post surgery that he asked of me regarding rehab, he feels I'm going to have an even faster recovery than the first one last year. So far, 4 weeks post surgery, that is exactly what is happening. Rehab is going EXTREMELY well for me.

If you have any questions before surgery, don't hesitate to write and ask me.

Let me know when your surgery is scheduled.

*******[/QUOTE]

Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB User

You're welcome. I know it's scary because I went through it last year for the first one and didn't have any patients who could have counseled me on what to expect. That's why, now that I've been through both knee replacements, I have offered my surgeon to volunteer to talk to his future knee replacement patients while they are in the hospital to give them encouragement. (My way of saying thank you to him for all he's done for me, and "paying it forward").

Keep me posted on your pre-surgery PT and feel free to stay in touch as your surgery date gets closer.

I know you will do just fine as long as you remember to do everything the surgeon asks of you post surgery in order to get an excellent outcome like I did for both of mine! Just keep my story in mind and let that motivate you to do well with your rehab!

******* (Carol)

Closed Thread