It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
(female)

Melteddown HB User
knee Manipulation after TKR ~ HELP

I am 3 weeks post op from a TKR of my right knee. I can not get any more than 87 degrees flexion and my surgeon has recommended that i have a manual manipulation in three weeks. He says he'll give me that long to get the bend back! I've tried everything, can't get the leg to bend. Has anyone had good results from the manipulation? I'm so scared. I feel like I'll be going backwards and I need to get back to work. I'm 53 years old, and this knee has had a previous surgery (ACL). Any words of wisdom and support would be so appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: knee Manipulation after TKR ~ HELP

Hi -- welcome! I was hoping that someone with TKR experience would post, but I wanted to say welcome. If you do go to a physical therapist, any work should not be overly painful. Have you tried using a stationery bicycle with no resistance? Many doctors will recommend bicycles in lieu of a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine. You can adjust the seat to your range of motion, then move it down a peg every few days. Ten minutes twice a day should be a good point to start, but check with your doctor first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
(female)

collsknees HB User
Re: knee Manipulation after TKR ~ HELP

I am probably too late with this response for you. I just joined this forum. I had a Total Knee Replacement on April 2nd and went in for manipulation on June 13th. I had many previous surgeries that caused alot of scar tissue, so I seemed to be stuck at 70 degrees despite all the work I was doing. I am 47 years old and fairly fit, so I was determined.
Once I was under anesthetic, they measured a 90 degree bend. Then after forcing the knee several times, were able to get it to 140 degrees.
When I awoke in recovery, it felt pretty much the same as it did April 2nd. I couldnt move my leg. It was very swollen and sore. The next day in Physio, I was able to bend it to 110 degrees and go around on the bike for the 1st time. It is now 5 days after the manipulation and I am very sore and swollen and having a tough time walking. I can see that it did help with the bend, but seemed to put me back in my recovery as far as pain and swelling go.
It is giving out on me again, and is overall weaker. I hope with daily physio to be back where I was prior to the manipulation in about a week.
Time will tell.

The following user gives a hug of support to collsknees:
SweetPeainSF (06-20-2012)
Closed Thread