It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 02:07 PM  
(female)

hem2328 HB User
Gluteus Medius Tendinosis. How long does it take to heal?

Hi there,
I am wondering if anyone has dealt with tendonosis anywhere, but especially in their gluteus medius tendon. I was diagnosed through an MRI. I have been doing PT, Acupuncture, Supplements and it seems to be taking forever to go away. I know the statistics out there and how it is a long going process but I would love some personal experiences with anyone out there who has suffered. I was diagnosed on January 4, 2012. I am still achy and dibilitated, with every day activities. I have always been very active with running, and yoga so this is clearly an overuse injury. Does anyone have any insight? I know about prolotherapy and PRP and am holding them in my head as a last resort. Does anyone out there feel that even though it's slow going, that you ARE getting better? Any help or insight would be greatly helpful. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM  
(male)

jimm87 HB User
Re: Gluteus Medius Tendinosis. How long does it take to heal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hem2328 View Post
Hi there,
I am wondering if anyone has dealt with tendonosis anywhere, but especially in their gluteus medius tendon. I was diagnosed through an MRI. I have been doing PT, Acupuncture, Supplements and it seems to be taking forever to go away. I know the statistics out there and how it is a long going process but I would love some personal experiences with anyone out there who has suffered. I was diagnosed on January 4, 2012. I am still achy and dibilitated, with every day activities. I have always been very active with running, and yoga so this is clearly an overuse injury. Does anyone have any insight? I know about prolotherapy and PRP and am holding them in my head as a last resort. Does anyone out there feel that even though it's slow going, that you ARE getting better? Any help or insight would be greatly helpful. Thanks!
Hello there, I have been recently diagnosed thru MRI for Tendinosis of Gluteus Minimus.....with peritendinous inflammation. I have an appointment with Dr Byrd in Nashville on May 31. My problems started over a year ago after I received injections from Dr Aaron Filler. I started having pain sitting and things have degenerated rapidly. I've already been through PT and that helped some.

I am hoping that I can get arthoscopic surgery to remove bursa and diseased part of the tendon.....I have had a lot of problems with injections in the past...so do not want to have any more if I can avoid them.

As far as self therapy goes...probably the only thing I can do is rest....I am an avid cyclist...but my biking has been cut back to the point of just not riding anymore...because it has been irritating my glutes. I had an MRI on April 2, which stated peritendinous inflammation around the Glute min...and then another MRI about a week ago that downgraded it by adding tendinosis. The tendinosis diagnosis has been a real wake up call.

The condition I have is known as Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome. Are you familiar with that?...Often the Glute min or Glute med is associated.

I wish you the best of luck...and would like to hear back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 PM  
(female)

hem2328 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm87 View Post
hello there, i have been recently diagnosed thru mri for tendinosis of gluteus minimus.....with peritendinous inflammation. I have an appointment with dr byrd in nashville on may 31. My problems started over a year ago after i received injections from dr aaron filler. I started having pain sitting and things have degenerated rapidly. I've already been through pt and that helped some.

I am hoping that i can get arthoscopic surgery to remove bursa and diseased part of the tendon.....i have had a lot of problems with injections in the past...so do not want to have any more if i can avoid them.

As far as self therapy goes...probably the only thing i can do is rest....i am an avid cyclist...but my biking has been cut back to the point of just not riding anymore...because it has been irritating my glutes. I had an mri on april 2, which stated peritendinous inflammation around the glute min...and then another mri about a week ago that downgraded it by adding tendinosis. The tendinosis diagnosis has been a real wake up call.

The condition i have is known as greater trochanteric pain syndrome. Are you familiar with that?...often the glute min or glute med is associated.

I wish you the best of luck...and would like to hear back.
hi there. Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear about your situation. I know from experience how difficult and frustrating it can be. Especially for someone active.

We seem to have a similar diagnosis. I'm curious what injections you had already? Guessing cortizone shots which i have read will make tendonosis worse and heal slower. They do take the pain away i have read, but in the long run will do more damage than good. I am sorry that pushed you back a few pegs.

Why surgery i am wondering? Is the pain that unbearable? I am hoping through pt, rest, eccentric exercise, ice, heat, acupuncture and supplements, that i will heal. I know it takes a good 9 months or so for that to happen if you take all precaution. Can you simply not walk? Curious about the surgery decision. I have bursitis as well and that does go away. The imflammation. I am taking fish oil and tumeric to bring down inflammation. Nsaids like ibprofen are detrimental to the healing process of tendonosis.

Have you ever considered prp? What is the doc appt on may 31 about? What is your pain like?

Old 05-20-2012, 03:55 PM  
(male)

jimm87 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hem2328 View Post
hi there. Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear about your situation. I know from experience how difficult and frustrating it can be. Especially for someone active.

We seem to have a similar diagnosis. I'm curious what injections you had already? Guessing cortizone shots which i have read will make tendonosis worse and heal slower. They do take the pain away i have read, but in the long run will do more damage than good. I am sorry that pushed you back a few pegs.

Why surgery i am wondering? Is the pain that unbearable? I am hoping through pt, rest, eccentric exercise, ice, heat, acupuncture and supplements, that i will heal. I know it takes a good 9 months or so for that to happen if you take all precaution. Can you simply not walk? Curious about the surgery decision. I have bursitis as well and that does go away. The imflammation. I am taking fish oil and tumeric to bring down inflammation. Nsaids like ibprofen are detrimental to the healing process of tendonosis.

Have you ever considered prp? What is the doc appt on may 31 about? What is your pain like?
The injection consisted of Marcaine and Kenalog. One of the hip Dr's told me that he would use depomedrol rather than what I had been given. I've heard that sometimes the injections do work....but I've had bad luck for the most part.

I haven't been able to sleep on my side for about 4 years....but the really bad glute pain started after the injection.

Why the surgery?....well I believe...I could be wrong here....the tendinosis won't go away until the peritendinous inflammation is removed...probably the bursa I think. Also remember that tendinosis by definition means permanently damaged tissue...to a cellular level. There is no inflammatory response in tendinosis. And peritendinous inflammation can cause tendinosis.

I plan on talking to Dr Byrd about this. I can get around okay but lately I have been having a little trouble and pain walking...it seems like it is just getting worse...and I am such a wanne be active guy that I am always irritating it somehow. And my job requires me to sit at a computer all day. I have been sitting on a 65 cm ball for the last 3 months and that has really helped. I didn't really put things together about the Greater Trochanteric pain syndrome until a few months ago.....there is not much awareness about this condition.

I have some other problems that irritate this, but don't want to go into that right now.....just say that I also have some problems in the front of my hip near the adductor muscles.

I have heard about the other things you mentioned. Was your pain caused by running?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-06-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:30 PM  
(female)

hem2328 HB User

Yes, I think running contributed. Definitely overuse though. Ratio of injury to healing got out of whack.

Tendonosis doesn't mean permanent damage. Some heal 100% some 80% some live w it forever. Our bodies don't know how to heal anymore for it is at a cellular level but there is still hope. Eccentric exercise helps. It's hard to find out what is best. It's a bit trial and air but now that I have some things and stretches that work, I do feel like I'm On the up and up. It is SLOW going! I've reinsured myself 5 times in 2012. I've given up running yoga walking elliptical and decided to do nothing for all of 2012. It sucks for I'm usually a six day a weaker. But since I've slowed down , I do feel I'm slowly getting stronger. Hope that is helpful to you

Last edited by Administrator; 05-20-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM  
(male)

jimm87 HB User

I appreciate your input...thanks. I am trying to be cautious with what I do. I found a good massage therapist...but we really need to be light and careful around the tendon insertion. I see that there are many ways to approach this problem...and I am trying to be thoughtful about it.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-20-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:47 AM  
(male)

rsdiegel HB User

I am a skateboarder and have multiple knee problems. Miniscus, tendinitis, overuse, arthritis, etc. I had orthorscopic surgery on my left knee and I wish I never did because now its much worse than before. I have also had multiple cortisone shots which I wish I never did either but it was all in the early stages and I was just "trusting the doctors" who really just buy into the standard remedies which actually make things worse over time. Through much seeking and searching I learned about prolotherapy, prp and ultimately stem cell injections. I had a couple of prolo injections and they helped somewhat. I just received my first round of prp/stem cell injections about 5 days ago and I can already feel substantial relief. I will update every week or so with progress.

You want to do anything that helps the body "heal itself" which in my opinion includes not taking anti inflammation drugs. Inflammation is a natural "healing" response and ibroprofen, etc. stifle that healing response. I can relate to the frustrations of wanting to be active but I have finally (after about 5 years) just decided to take it easy and let the body heal it up with the help of the stem cell injections.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-06-2013 at 10:54 AM.