It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, Tx USA
Posts: 5
Justmeli HB User
Red face 1 week post op from TKR 41 yr old female

Was in accident in 1997 were dashboard crushed my tibia plateau. Fast fwd 15 years and it's time for a TKR, Worst part is trying to get on top of the pain, because ppl are cracking down on these dr for real pain meds, no one wants to give you the right pain meds. I am a lot of pain still, major calf pain, am not able to do therapy and barely get up from bed. I need help please.
__________________
Melinda Urbina

 
Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 9,380
Blog Entries: 32
janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 1 week post op from TKR 41 yr old female

Call your surgeon today. Tell him your calf hurts a lot.

Also, let him know that your pain is so bad you can't do PT. He might possibly be willing to increase your pain meds if it is clearly necessary.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, Tx USA
Posts: 5
Justmeli HB User
Re: 1 week post op from TKR 41 yr old female

Thank you, I called & he gave me Norco 10 same thing I was taking before the surgery. My pain is not so severe, the did Doppler, no blot clot, X-ray, blood work no infection, just poor pain management, which doesn't make sense to me because they gave me morphine & dilaudid and neither took the pain away either.they are admitting me to a Rehab to control my pain & get me started on extensive therapy, which scares the crap out of me cause I feel like I have been through enough pain, I am really depressed & weak.
__________________
Melinda Urbina

 
Old 05-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 9,380
Blog Entries: 32
janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 1 week post op from TKR 41 yr old female

Don't be depressed, going to rehab is excellent news. My father was in a rehab facility after both of his hip replacements, and he really liked getting the in-depth PT twice a day. His legs are VERY strong now, and he goes on long-distance bike treks!

There will be pain, I won't lie to you. Getting the range of motion back after TKR is not fun. However, you are in control of the situation. The pain has a purpose, and that purpose is getting you back to living an active life. I hope the rehab facility has other patients who are recovering from orthopedic surgery to help you get through it.

 
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, Tx USA
Posts: 5
Justmeli HB User
Re: 1 week post op from TKR 41 yr old female

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Don't be depressed, going to rehab is excellent news. My father was in a rehab facility after both of his hip replacements, and he really liked getting the in-depth PT twice a day. His legs are VERY strong now, and he goes on long-distance bike treks!

There will be pain, I won't lie to you. Getting the range of motion back after TKR is not fun. However, you are in control of the situation. The pain has a purpose, and that purpose is getting you back to living an active life. I hope the rehab facility has other patients who are recovering from orthopedic surgery to help you get through it.
Yes, I am here now I won't start my pt until tomorrow but there are other patients here recovering from same thing that are 70, 80 yrs old, if that ain't motivation enough, not sure what is. I just want to be on top of my pain not chasing it with pain meds, it's so exhausting.
__________________
Melinda Urbina

 
Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Posts: 822
Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: 1 week post op from TKR 41 yr old female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmeli View Post
Thank you, I called & he gave me Norco 10 same thing I was taking before the surgery. My pain is not so severe, the did Doppler, no blot clot, X-ray, blood work no infection, just poor pain management, which doesn't make sense to me because they gave me morphine & dilaudid and neither took the pain away either.they are admitting me to a Rehab to control my pain & get me started on extensive therapy, which scares the crap out of me cause I feel like I have been through enough pain, I am really depressed & weak.
Dear justmeli:
Yes, be glad you are to be in a rehab facility! I was sent to one for two weeks after my first hip replacement and for one week after the second hip replacement.

They know how to keep ahead of your pain and will see to it that you get pain meds BEFORE your physical therapy sessions. They know how to manage pain.

Being with others who are going through the same thing as you are is very comforting and also motivating.

I was so glad that I was sent to this facility and requested to be sent to the same one after the second hip replacment.

Your meals will be provided and you will receive good care and attention!

Shirley H.
__________________
Had two hip replacements about a year apart - the last one being August 2009.

 
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, Tx USA
Posts: 5
Justmeli HB User
Re: 1 week post op from TKR 41 yr old female

Yes they are generous with the pain meds, which scares me cause I don't want to grow dependent on the meds to feel better. Today was the best day since my surgery.
__________________
Melinda Urbina

 
Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 9,380
Blog Entries: 32
janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 1 week post op from TKR 41 yr old female

At this point, I wouldn't be worried about dependency. It's normal to need pain medicine at least before PT for a month or two after this surgery. The rehab is hard, and you have to just do it. Pain medicine makes the process bearable.

As you feel better, they will gradually decrease the dose. Unless you have a serious prior history of addiction, it's very unlikely that you will have a problem.

 
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, Tx USA
Posts: 5
Justmeli HB User
Re: 1 week post op from TKR 41 yr old female

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
At this point, I wouldn't be worried about dependency. It's normal to need pain medicine at least before PT for a month or two after this surgery. The rehab is hard, and you have to just do it. Pain medicine makes the process bearable.

As you feel better, they will gradually decrease the dose. Unless you have a serious prior history of addiction, it's very unlikely that you will have a problem.
It's just because I have been taking norco 10 for about a year because of the pain, that's why I wanted the surgery. Now they upgraded it to Percocet and I don't want to get drawn in to pain meds with high dosage. I am hoping I don't relapse when they start weaning me. Not sure how the dr decide when you need to quit.
__________________
Melinda Urbina

 
Closed Thread

Tags
fibromyalgia, tkr newbie



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!