It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

Eleanor Bea HB User
Unhappy Hip pain? HELP

Hi, I'm new to healthboards and I'm looking for advice and support.
My problems started in August 2010, with pain in my left thigh and this has progressed to me know having a permanent limp, constant groin and thigh pain and very limited mobility. It was thought that I had problems with my lumber spine but after extensive investigations and lots of time, little was found, my hips were finally xrayed in April 2012 and this what the report says, "moderate degeneration of both hips with predominantly inferomedial loss of joint space and minimal osteophytes". My GP has reluctantly referred me to see an orthopaedic surgeon, but he says they will not do anything!!! I'm 52 unable to work or drive, prior to this I was fully mobile and worked fulltime, in a very demanding job. Any suggestions?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Hip pain? HELP

Hi there -- welcome!

Did the ortho say he wouldn't so anything, or is your family doctor predicting that the ortho won't do anything? I would push for a referral to a doctor who does hip arthroscopies. Otherwise, you might end up with a doctor who does only hip replacements, which might not be suitable for your situation.

If nothing else, the ortho can give you injections of SynVisc or a similar drug. These injections are primarily designed for the knee, but some doctors have had some success with hip injections. You may also have some bursitis and the ortho can inject steroids into the bursa to help with inflammation.

You should also have a marcaine injection into the hip joint and an MRI before making a decision as to whether you need or want surgery of any sort. The MRI will give more information about your joint damage. The marcaine will verify whether all of your pain is coming from within the hip or whether some is coming from elsewhere. Let us know how everything goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
(female)

Eleanor Bea HB User
Smile Re: Hip pain? HELP

Hi, Thanks for your reply, that is very helpful. I presume you are in the US? Although it should be the same, as here in the UK, I bet it is not! Some bits better, some bits worse? The really annoying thing is that I thought it was my hip in the first place!! But what do patients know?
Thanks again, I will let you know how things go, but they can be very slow in the UK!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Hip pain? HELP

Oddly enough, you can easily have referred pain in your hip, from either a pelvic disorder or from a back problem. It feels like it is coming from the hip, but the pain generator may be somewhere else. I had a disc pressing on my spinal cord, causing mostly pain in my heels. I am in the US, and fortunately, I have good health insurance, but I have been in a situation where I had no insurance. As you said, some good differences and some bad differences in all healthcare situations. I hope you get some help from the ortho.

Closed Thread