It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
(male)

Fractured Fox HB User
Crashed Motorcycle - Newbie Questions about my messed up knee

Hey guys, just joined since I unfortunately have a serious knee problem. Motorcycle wreck at about 40mph, fortunately I was able to limp away, but it feels like my knee is shot. I don't have insurance or anything like that... went to a $50 clinic, they said I'd be walking in 2 days, it's been 2 weeks and I'm still not even close to walking. They did say nothing was broke (only by feeling it with their hand, and it was VERY swollen at that time)

It's been about 2.5 weeks now, attached is a picture of me standing on my right left (it's flexed since I'm putting all my weight on it and balancing). I'm trying to put my leg out as straight as possible, as u can see, I can't get it very straight.

In comparison, my foot still feels shattered (it's fine, just bruised).. my toe is still black.. my wrists are still messed up, etc... And the scab on my knee just now came off, so it's not like everything else is healed up or anything. I'm just very desperate to walk again.

It was super swollen the first week. Now it's not so bad. I don't have to do anything special when sleeping, before I was on vicodin. It only hurts if I try standing on it, or putting it straight. Also if I dangle my leg off the bed and the weight of my lower leg is on my knee pushing to the side, that hurts too. But overall, not so bad. I hop around on my other leg with very minimal pain.

It feels like it's swollen from the inside, and it's so swollen that there's no way I can put my leg straight. If it wasn't swollen, it feels like it could go straight, and I could walk... but the swelling just isn't going down. I took 800mg IB Profin religiously the first 1.5 weeks, even had a knee brace that was elasticy to decrease swelling... I've done ice on and off. The swelling just isn't getting better.

However, everyday does feel like a small improvement, but it's just been so long, 2.5 weeks is a long time for someone not used to this. It can drive u crazy at times.

The bruise went all the way down to my lower shin... if I push in on my calf, that hurts too. My thigh, no bruise. The pain seems focused on the lower part of the knee, and that's where it's the most swollen. I can push the puffiness in, no pain.

So what do u guys think? Maybe I just need to be more patient?

What can I do about the swelling? I swear nothing is broken, and I don't think any muscles are even catastrophically torn... It really feels like it's the swelling that's keeping it from being a functional knee.

How long should I expect to not be walking? What's a typical recovery time for someone in my shoes?

Any help is appreciated. Thank u!

Picture of my knee as of 5 minutes ago...

http://processorforums.com/Knee.JPG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB User
Re: Crashed Motorcycle - Newbie Questions about my messed up knee

Hi Fractured Fox - you may not have insurance, but you SHOULD HAVE gone immediately to an E.R. for x-rays to make sure nothing was broken! (You should have called 911 at the scene of your accident - they're obligated to take you to the nearest E.R. and the E.R. is OBLIGATED to treat you regardless of your ability to pay!!!!) Now, I don't know how to advise you. Do you have a regular doctor you go to? Maybe he can refer you to an Orthopedic surgeon connected with one of these clinics like the one you went to. Why didn't they take any x-rays? It's IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL IF ANYTHING WAS BROKEN just by touching the knee with their hands!

Since you are STILL having serious pain 2.5 weeks later, I would go to the nearest Medical Center Emergency room and ask them to have an Orthopedic surgeon see you in the E.R. Explain to them what happened and that you went to a cheap clinic, but they never took x-rays, yet told you nothing was broken. I'm willing to BET that you will get seen by an Orthopedic surgeon pronto in the E.R.!!!!

Good luck and keep me posted!!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
(male)

Fractured Fox HB User

I didn't go to the ER because I've been hurt before, and it's always been okay... but I've never had an accident like this. There was no blood, I only got hurt from the pure impact of hitting the pavement.

My pain is only if I try standing on it. It doesn't really hurt at all unless if I do that. But, if I do try standing, I can't even come close, and yes, the pain is too much. Is this the type of pain u're saying shouldn't still be here after close to 3 weeks?

It really does get better everyday... but it still feels like 3 weeks away until I'll be able to properly stand.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB User

Hi Fractured Fox,

You don't necessarily have to be bleeding for serious damage to be done to your knee! And you still don't know whether something may be fractured or broken because nobody at that clinic you went to took x-rays. As to your question about whether the pain should not still be there - I can't really answer that because you don't know if anything is broken. If something did get severely damaged this time, you REALLY DO NEED TO GET IT CHECKED OUT ASAP! If you let this go, you could end up having life long knee problems if you don't get it fixed NOW!!! Plus, the vicodin is something you DO NOT WANT TO GET ADDICTED TO!! It is VERY STRONG STUFF and very hard to get off of!

Please tell me you will go and get this looked at ASAP? I would hate for you to suffer long term when you don't have to. I mean, you say you can barely walk or stand on the knee! Without my being a doctor myself, but from personal experience of having to have my two knee replacements last year and this, I can tell you that SOMETHING SERIOUS IS WRONG WITH YOUR KNEE!!! Please don't let this go beyond this week without getting medical attention for it!!!

Let me know how you fare with getting help. Keep me posted!

Regards,

Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's a very common thing with knee injuries, to have a lot of swelling, and even for the swelling to make it impossible to straighten the joint. Anti-inflammatories like Aleve can help a lot.

Best thing is to make an appointment with an orthopedist. Stress that you are in pain and need to be seen as soon as possible. You'll probably have to pay about $100-200 for the appointment, plus another $100 or so for the x-ray.

The ER will do an x-ray, but if the x-ray is clean, they'll give you crutches, show you the door and send you a bill for $2,000.

It is possible you have a small fracture in your kneecap, though.

For now, continue to stay off it and keep an elastic wrap or ace bandage on to reduce the swelling. Keep icing several times a day. Do you have crutches?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
(male)

Fractured Fox HB User

I have crutches, but my wrists are bruised/sprained, I would have to use my arm pits with the crutches, so it's not practical. I'm using a wheelchair and using my good leg to pull me around, or my friends help when I need to go out. Luckily I run my own business and can work from home.

Then it's plan... I'm going to try finding an orthopedist that can take an X-Ray, hopefully one that won't break the bank.

I think my cap is fine. Another way to describe this... Would be it hurts where my leg bone attaches to the bottom of my knee. That ligament I guess it's called, and the surrounding area is swollen. If I try standing or putting pressure on it it starts hurting in that one exact spot, and as more pressure goes on it it hurts more and more, until it finally is very painful, and I have to stop trying to put pressure on it. BUT, I can put more on it everyday... but after 3 weeks, it's like... get better already! I'll look for an ortho, thanks.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The patellar tendon is the tight band that attaches the tibia (shinbone) to the kneecap. There are also fluid-filled sacs called bursas around it, and there's something called the meniscus that sits on top of your tibia, which could be torn. Or, you could actually have cracked the top of your tibia.

A blunt-force trauma can cause any of these structures to swell up, and, unless you managed to severely tear something, the treatment is going to be the same no matter what the exact injury: Rest, ice, followed by a gradual exercise program as the knee recovers.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
Fractured Fox (05-21-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Fractured Fox (05-21-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
(male)

Fractured Fox HB User

I finally got an X-Ray. Doctor says that my knee is fractured. The next step is the orthopedist.

After the fact I've realized that my foot is actually keeping me from putting weight on that leg also. My knee doesn't like to bend, but I think it's my foot that is keeping me from just putting my weight on that leg.

It's one month today since the accident.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

A bad break in the knee would obviously require surgery as soon as possible, but a small fracture usually heals with rest. The real question is how much soft tissue damage you have.

Even if you don't wind up having surgery, though, a knee surgeon is probably the best type of orthopedist to examine and evaluate. If you're going to be paying for an orthopedic consult anyway, you may as well find the best, or at least the best you can get an appointment with reasonably soon.

Closed Thread