It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
(male)

stevebmg HB User
Knee Injury and How to get around

I have a stress fracture in my knee. My Dr says no weight for 3-4 weeks. I tried crutches, and they are ineffective. I called Dr and he says take 3 weeks off and stay in bed. Obviously that is impossible. Why are there no options for people with knee issues? If you have foot or ankle problems, knee walker, if knee issue, nothing... what do I do? The pain is intense, I try crutches the best I can but impossible to run a normal day on crutches only. What are my options?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
(female)

Jess664 HB User
Re: Knee Injury and How to get around

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebmg View Post
I have a stress fracture in my knee. My Dr says no weight for 3-4 weeks. I tried crutches, and they are ineffective. I called Dr and he says take 3 weeks off and stay in bed. Obviously that is impossible. Why are there no options for people with knee issues? If you have foot or ankle problems, knee walker, if knee issue, nothing... what do I do? The pain is intense, I try crutches the best I can but impossible to run a normal day on crutches only. What are my options?
I tore an ACL, MCL, PCL simultaneously in college and had surgery which I'd imagine is a very similar situation. The bottom line is that there really isn't a way to have a normal day to day schedule. If the crutches cause too much pain, then really the only solution is to stay off of it. I wish I had a better answer...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
(male)

stevebmg HB User

That is what I was afraid of, as staying off of it completely isn't an option. You would think someone would have something that would be geared to knee issues and mobility, but I guess not. Thanks for the help

Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
(female)

LORILOVE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebmg View Post
That is what I was afraid of, as staying off of it completely isn't an option. You would think someone would have something that would be geared to knee issues and mobility, but I guess not. Thanks for the help
How about a wheelchair

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I wonder what the problem with the crutches was? I received a tutorial and fitting through PT, which helped very much with my crutching. A lot of folks use them wrong (too high under the arms, in particular). PT can show you how to use them correctly and how to go up and down stairs easily.

You could also try the other (European?) style of crutches, which have a band around the forearms. Or a walker, which is not stylish but is effective. You could also try one of those wheeled walkers, but I don't think those work for total non-weight-bearing.

(Try to remember that you are trading a month for the possibility of having this issue resolved for the rest of your life.)

Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
(male)

stevebmg HB User

Apartment and office aren't close to wheelchair friendly. Had PT fit my crutches, but small apartment and office space and constant up and down to get things make crutches an impossibility. I have also had to visit plants and mfg places and walking on crutches for long periods are torture.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
(female)

LORILOVE HB User

My house is not wheelchair or crutch friendly but I found a walker worked great. Unfortunately I did not require zero weightbearing. You will need to hop around and use the walker for support.

Closed Thread