It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

Lucy56 HB User
Extreme Nerve Pain After TKR

I am 11 wks post op on my TKR & have a nerve pinching in the back of my knee, causing severe pain in my foot!! My surgeon said that I should go to my regular Dr with it because it is not his specialty. Today, I saw my Dr & he said that I should give it a few more weeks to see if it will go away. As bad as the pain is, I'm sure what it is, & it is not getting easier! He said that he will order an EMG to be done to determine that is the problem if I still have the pain after a couple of weeks. If so, he told me of a procedure that can be done to release the nerve... kinda like a carpal tunnel surgery. He prescribed Lyrica & Clonazapam. I cannot stand this pain & my foot is starting to flop!!

Has anyone had this before?

Last edited by Lucy56; 06-06-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: change titles, add tags

Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User
Re: Extreme Nerve Pain After TKR

HI Lucy56,

I've never heard of a pinched nerve situation post TKR as you describe, but your surgeon SHOULD BE THE ONE to investigate further because IT IS INDEED HIS SPECIALTY!! He's an ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON FOR CRIPES SAKE and should know that all the nerves, bones, tendons and ligaments in your leg affect each other!!! If he doesn't, than maybe you should go to another orthopedic surgeon to get this treated!! Sounds like he didn't do that great a job on your TKR! By 11 weeks post TKR, your knee should have MINIMAL RESIDUAL SORENESS, especially if you happen to be a quick healer like me! I'm 10 weeks post left TKR and most of the soreness from surgery "trauma" was gone after ONE MONTH! At six weeks post surgery, I was able to start walking stairs in a normal fashion, one foot after the other, both upstairs AND down!!!

Ask your regular doctor to please send you for the EMG NOW, before you are in even more pain! Tell him you CAN'T WAIT the extra weeks he wants you to! It's your body and you have the right to be treated promptly, especially if you're in such pain.

Let me know how you fare!

Regards,
******* (Carol)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

Lucy56 HB User
Re: Has anyone else had this happen???

Thanks for your reply Carol, but I am NOT a fast healer & have had all kinds of trouble with this knee. In the first week, I had an infection that was thankfully caught early. Then at 4 wks, I overextended it on the stationary bike & it hasn't been the same since! It causes me alot of pain & I wish I hadn't had it done.

I will definitely be more aggressive & see if they can do the EMG sooner, but I really don't care to go back to my surgeon!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

Lucy56 HB User

Thanks for your reply Carol, but I am NOT a fast healer & have had all kinds of trouble with this knee. In the first week after my surgery, I had an infection that was thankfully caught early. Then at 4 wks, I overextended it in PT on the stationary bike & it hasn't been the same since! It causes me alot of pain & I wish I hadn't had it done.

I will definitely be more aggressive & see if they can do the EMG sooner, but I really don't care to go back to my surgeon!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User

Hi Lucy56,

I'm really sorry that you are having such a difficult time healing after your TKR surgery. As I noted in my first post to you, that while I've never heard of a pinched nerve immediately following a TKR, I guess it's "possible" it could happen. My personal view though of your situation is that your surgeon did something wrong while putting in the prosthetic knee and caused the pinched nerve.

Since you obviously do not want to go back to the surgeon who did your TKR, and I don't BLAME you for that, you might want to consider getting a couple of Orthopedic surgeon consults. If you find another Orthopedic surgeon you feel comfortable with as far as his or her skills, and you can establish a good doctor/patient partnership with the new surgeon, you MAY want to ask the new surgeon about the possibility of going back to the O.R. for a "revision" TKR that would solve the pinched nerve issue. I know it would mean another half year of post surgical rehab, but it might be worth considering since you are in such agony and are justifiably frustrated. TKRs are SUPPOSED to solve your arthritic problems and restore your knee to full functionality and mobility, NOT make things worse!! It sounds like you have been trying to stay motivated and I applaud you for that. (I had bad asthma for about 15 years and after a HUGE number of E.R. visits for attacks I couldn't treat myself at home, I, several times, got to the point where I just wished an attack would be so bad, one of which I did have that was life threatening, that I just would not wake up from it!! But, in the mid 90s, my pulmonary doctor changed my medication regimen and the asthma started going into remission. Except for one stress triggered hospital admission seven years ago, I've been in complete remission for the last 14 years! That doctor gave me my life back! I was so afraid to go out socially when the asthma was out of control and I didn't want to be embarrassed in public. And forget dating! I probably would have scared off most guys the first time I had an attack while with them in public!!!) Now my Orthopedic surgeon has given me back my mobility without PAIN when he did my two TKRs!!! (I just started having lower back trouble this past week, so now when I see him on Monday for him to clear me medically regarding my left TKR, he'll have to start treating me for my back pain! I'm kind of frustrated about this because I thought the knee replacements would take a lot of the pressure off my hips and back!) Geez, if it's not one thing, it's another, isn't it?! Well they do say that it ain't easy growing old! How true!

Promise me that you will go find another orthopedic surgeon with more experience AND a good bedside manner?

Let me know how you fare with that.

Regards,
Carol

Closed Thread