It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User
Re: Home care or rehab facility?

Hi Shirley,

I just edited my latest post to add some amusing exchanges with my surgeon post surgery that you will love.

And, yes, I guess I AM just a "girl" compared to you! God bless you at 83!

My late father lived until he was 89 (He died in 2005.) and played racquetball for SEVENTEEN YEARS despite having bad arthritis in HIS knees! NOT ONCE did his knees give out on him during all those active years of playing! Me? The virtual "couch potato" back then? All it took for my knee problems to spiral out of control was the fact that I had stepped up on a chair in his house in an apparently "wrong way" causing the right knee cartilage to snap on me! (I was cleaning out a closet in the house in Sept of '05 to get the house ready for sale following my father's passing that May.) Frankly, I think my father's been laughing at me the past year somewhere up in the "great beyond" because I was the one who needed new knees, not him!! (Another surgeon who I was going to at the time, did a crappy job of an arthroscopic repair that December. So bad in fact, that four and a half years later, when I went back to him because the right knee was starting to really get painful again and I needed a renewal of my handicapped parking permit, this guy took an x-ray of my knee, said it was stable, so no new permit!) Four months later, I switched back to my current wonderful surgeon. (He used to be in the same practice early on as this other guy but left in 1995 to form his own practice. I was going to him initially and he treated me with therapy for a mild tear in my left shoulder rotator cuff. Why I didn't just follow him to his new practice, I don't know.) My current surgeon took ONE LOOK at the EXACT SAME X-RAYS my old surgeon had taken four months earlier and turned to me in horror and said, "Carol, you need a total knee replacement in your right knee ASAP! You have NO CARTILAGE LEFT AND IT'S BONE ON BONE!!! I think he was probably ****** at his former colleague for a) such a poor arthroscopic repair in which he removed most of my cartilage, and b) for telling me 4 1/2 years later that the knee was stable!!! (Like: How could you MISS THIS OBVIOUS DIAGNOSIS?, he was probably thinking.) Unbelievable, huh? I actually thought about suing the other surgeon for damaging my knee so badly, but after my replacement surgery last year by my current surgeon, my nurse friend said not to bother suing. NOW, if I had NOT had the option of a total knee replacement, my friend said, THEN I would have had a very winnable case because the first surgeon permanently would have damaged my knee!

I've been up at the hospital where the former surgeon has privileges (and so does my current surgeon), but thankfully, I have yet to cross paths with the other guy. If I ever DO run into him and he says hello just to be friendly, I will probably either politely say that I have nothing to say to him, OR tell him that, thanks to his shoddy arthroscopy on my knee in 2005, I ended up needing BOTH KNEES REPLACED six and seven years later respectively!!! I would love to leave him with his jaw dropped wide open on that note!!!

My dad died of heart disease which he didn't get until his late 70s when he had his first heart attack and had an angioplasty. He only smoked a few times in his 40s but my mom made him quit for both his sake and my brother's and my sakes. (My brother smoked from around senior year in high school until just after my mother died in 1986 at age 60 from ovarian cancer.) My brother quit cold turkey not long after that. (I don't have contact with him though. He became estranged from my father and me in 2001 because of something he did that almost cheated me out of my share of a specific inheritance from our mother. My lawyer cousin had to get involved to get me my money, and that seemed to cause my brother to get ****** off. I guess he thought he was going to get away with what he'd done and my father, my cousin and I called him on it!)

Gotta run and have dinner and watch my Mets ballgame!

Take care and again God bless you for doing so wonderfully at your age. Just having witnessed my own father live such a full life until he died at 89, I think you're right. IT IS also how you live your life and not just being blessed with good genes.

Last edited by ldy12; 06-16-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread