It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

booklovin HB User
Need advice on possible TKR

I am really confused about the best thing to do in my situation and would appreciate any advice. I am 52 and also about 100 pounds overweight. I graduated last May with a BSN and started working as a floor nurse on a busy med-surg floor. My right knee has been really hurting me so I made an appt with an ortho doctor expecting to get a prescription for a stronger pain reliever. He looked at my X-ray and said I've got nothing for you except a total knee replacement. You are bone on bone, the pain will just get worse and there is nothing else to be done.
I decided to go see another doctor. I went to see the one best known in town for doing TKR and he told me to put the surgery off as long as I could stand it, started me on a series of 3 shots, gave me a glucosamine supplement, told me to walk as little as possible, lose wight, and do non weight bearing exercise and come back in 3 months for a repeat x-ray.
My boss gave me 12 weeks off work to see how it goes, but I'm really uncertain of how bad is bad enough to have the surgery and what my quality of life will be without the surgery. When I'm not working, I can manage the pain with Motrin ok as long as I don't go on any long walks or walk for extended periods of time. But it does bother me to think I can't take the dogs for a walk, of maybe even work without doing more damage to my knees. But the thought of a total knee replacement scares me even more. I was planing on retiring in a year or so and taking up tennis and getting back to snow skiing which I used to love. I am afraid if I get a new knee I will never be able to do these things again. Also with an artifical knee will I be able to walk as far as I want? Hike? What about climb stairs? I am just really struggling with all this and I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User
Re: Need advice on possible TKR

I just had tkr on may 29. I am able to walk and was told I can do anything but run and jump. I am still in the recoveryphase and doing pt. And I can't believe I am saying it,but you are just putting off the tkr. I had the same situation as you. This pain that I am is different than the pain before. I know it is a scary surgery, I was so scared but I came thru and you will too. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Need advice on possible TKR

Hi again nana b:

I see you are now graduated from needing encouragement for having knee replacement surgery, to encouraging others! What a change, huh? We all have been so helped by this Forum that we have a desire to help others.

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 06-15-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: put signature

Closed Thread