It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
(male)

shawn1981 HB User
day 11 after knee surgery...why am i in so much pain still

I'm on day 11 after knee surgery. I'm still in a lot of pain Everytime I get up and crutch around. It's making it impossible to try and bear some weight on it, and I can only crutch around for about 10 mins then the pain is too much and I have to put my leg up. I am able to do most of my exercises while I'm lying down jus having a real hard time dealing with the pain when moving around the house. When will this pain settle down!
Is there any advice on speed up recovery or to minimize swelling pain.

Signed Fustrated in pain

Last edited by shawn1981; 06-17-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: day 11 after knee surgery...why am i in so much pain still

Well, the healing time varies a lot depending on the surgery. Definitely, icing several times a day will help a lot. Keep your leg elevated when not moving. Did your doctor give you guidelines on expected recovery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
(female)

kate222 HB User

I don't think it is unusual at eleven days out to still be in pain. I'm ten weeks
out and I'm at a point now where my knee feels pretty good most of the time. it still isn't bending as much as i'd like, but i'm working on it. I still ice it at least once a day sometimes more. I was like you when I first had my surgery, i expected to be up and over it i swear by the second week, but I learned real quick that my knee was going to heal in its time, not mine. Its frustrating but i'm sure you were told before the surgery that it will take at least 1 year to fully heal. But hang in there, it does get better, it just takes time.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
(male)

shawn1981 HB User

Thanks a lot for the reply I feel better knowing that I'm not not the only one who was still in this much pain after almost two weeks. My doctor told me that I could be walking without crutches in 7 days but I'm having a hard time using my crutches for more than ten minutes cause of the swelling pain in my calf and shin. How long was it till you could limp around without crutches? Thanks again for the reply

Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
(female)

kate222 HB User

well, first of all i used a walker instead of crutches, but i think i used the walker 3-4 weeks before a felt comfortable not using anything. i still limp unless i really concentrate on not limping. seriously, i think your expecting too much too soon. Keep doing your exercises. and icing and elevating. i think it will feel better with time.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User

Hi Shawn1981,

First of all, what kind of knee surgery did you have - an arthroscope or a total knee replacement? Regardless, everyone who answered you so far is RIGHT - you're expecting too much too soon! Whichever procedure you had is STILL MAJOR SURGERY, ESPECIALLY A TKR! Plus, everyone heals at different rates, so 11 days post surgery is NOT that long a time to expect pain to be completely gone!!!

I happen to be a fast healer, and after my second TKR on March 23rd (left knee - had right TKR in April of last year, along with a scope of the left knee during that surgery.), I was up on the walker the SAME DAY OF SURGERY AND WALKED 200 FEET!!! (Granted I was full of painkillers which helped, but I was determined to walk the same day. My surgeon was thrilled when he came on rounds two days later.) By week 4, I was barely using my cane and was starting to walk up and down stairs normally one foot after the other, which is usually the LAST ability to come back post TKR! Last year, it took almost 4 MONTHS before all the pain in my right TKR disappeared completely! This year, it only took 4 WEEKS in the left TKR for that to happen! So, you see, it can even be different healing times within the SAME PATIENT for the same kind of surgery!!!

Cut yourself a break and chill out. Try to rest the knee as much as you can if it was just a scope and elevate it when you're lying down. You can ice it for 20 minutes at a time several times a day to keep the swelling down. Try NOT to take too many painkillers a day. You don't want to get addicted to that stuff - it's strong and it works, but very addictive! If you had a TKR, you should be going to physical therapy at least 3 times a week to rebuild the surrounding muscles in the knee. Try and take the painkiller about an hour before PT so you can stay ahead of the pain.

Stay positive and motivated and I promise you will be feeling better in a few more weeks.

Hope this advice helps.

Regards,
Carol (*******)

Closed Thread