It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

mamatofour HB User
Plica Resection / Meniscal Repair Surgery. What Can I Expect?

I am going to be having a plica removal as well as a possible meniscus repair (providing he finds one in there). I am going on week 8 of having this horrible knee pain and inability to bend it, even after pt appt and he said it is time to go ahead with surgery. It is a week from Tuesday and I am nervous as to what I should expect. The only thing that I read on the paper for billing was that there was a 'cast application' but we didn't get too in depth as to what I should expect after surgery since everyone is different. I have pre-op blood work in a few days and they will let me know at that time more of what will go on but wanted to hear everyone's experiences with arthroscopic knee surgery. How long before you were able to walk on it, did you have a cast vs brace, etc? Thanks!!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Plica Resection / Meniscal Repair Surgery. What Can I Expect?

If it turns out to be plica resection only, that's a pretty minor surgery. Had that last year, and I was walking a day later. By about 5 days later, I was better off than I'd been before the surgery, though it took a couple weeks for the incisions to completely heal and the bruising to fade. I'm still angry at myself for putting it off as long as I did!

If he winds up doing meniscal repair, that's more involved. He will put you in a solid brace or cast, and you'll be on crutches for up to 6 weeks. The areas that are stitched together need to heal.

Whatever surgery you have, there will be bruising on your knee, and probably above and below, too. It will be swollen, partly from the fluid used to inflate the joint for surgery. Ice is your friend, and keep the knee elevated whenever you aren't moving around. Don't be afraid to take your painkillers, they help a lot (although, after my plica resection, I only wound up taking it once.)

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
mamatofour (06-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

mamatofour HB User

I have had so many issues with my knee from around 7-8 weeks ago. I can't bend my knee back past the angle it is at when sitting because I feel something inside like it is ready to snap / explode and I feel so much pain all around. There HAS to be something besides the plica causing issues though i heard the plica can mimmic symptoms of a meniscal tear? I also have a baker's cyst which might have been caused when I injured it. I didn't have a CLUE what I did at first. Just felt like it needed to pop and was hurting more and mroe each day and pretty soon bending down was impossible and progressed a few days later where I was totally swollen and not able to bend at all. Finally remembered a time when I did fall and twisted to not land on my son. (Guess I'm too old for a slip n slide! LOL) cRAZY thing is the MRI came back normal but I heard from the doc that that can happen and they won't know exactly what happened until they get in there. anywho, thanks so much for the info!!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

That sounds more like a meniscus tear in the back of the knee than a plica problem.

The surgeon will make 2-3 small incisions on your knee. He will stick a tiny camera into one of them and have a look around. If he finds damage to the meniscus, he'll repair it. If he can, he'll stitch it back together. If part of it is too damaged to stitch, he'll just remove the worst part and neaten it up the rest so it doesn't catch on things when you move the joint anymore. It's sort of like the way you'd fix a torn fingernail!

Closed Thread